Your Password:

[ sign up | recover ]

Discussion Forums » Thread Graveyard
I just have a question.
0 likes [|reply]
18 Apr 2010, 04:56
T.A.I
I don't really agree.

Because a person's cultural or ethnic background bothers you doesn't always mean you're a racist in my book. I've got no problems with other ethnics groups, but I feel uneasy when I'm around them. I feel that way because being a pasty white homosexual, I've felt more heat and hate from certain ethnic groups than from other caucasians, and over time, I've developed a bit of an irrational fear of certain ethnic groups because of the way that they've treated me.

But that fear doesn't necessitate that I'm racist or harboring ill will against certain people. Being around certain ethnics groups might bother me, but it doesn't mean that I'm racist.
0 likes [|reply]
18 Apr 2010, 05:35
.Blue Bella.
Do you believe that white people and black people should not date?
0 likes [|reply]
18 Apr 2010, 17:48
T.A.I
Though I would probably never do it, I don't believe that it's wrong and that whites and blacks have every right to date if they so choose.
0 likes [|reply]
18 Apr 2010, 08:13
lithium layouts.
Well, your uneasiness/fear around them is because you've had bad experiences. In this case, however, it doesn't sound as though the person who happens to be against interracial dating is against it as a result of bad experiences (e.g. interracial couples have been really rude to her, but non-interracial couples are nice to her), I think it sounds as though she's against the very principle of it. That's where the racism comes in. (And you're not racist as such because you're basing your opinions on their behaviours towards you, and not merely on the colour of their skin.)
0 likes [|reply]
14 Apr 2010, 20:26
Chris
Haha, yes it does. It makes you the definition of a racist.
0 likes [|reply]
14 Apr 2010, 21:30
queenbutterfly
Wow - well than apparently you don't like me because I'm married to a man who is half asian and half black. It's racisim. Point blank - like everyone else said..
0 likes [|reply]
18 Apr 2010, 16:30
Chris
Just a note: Saying you "disagree" with interracial marriage is like saying you disagree with tables. It's not a matter of opinion. They exist. You can't disagree with them. You can imply that you disagree with the idea of a black person and a white person dating, but that is 100% none of your business either way. But I'm not saying you're not a flaming racist, because you are.
0 likes [|reply]
14 Apr 2010, 08:49
already gone.
I think it's racist. Sadly I knew people like this existed. I date outside my race and get plenty of mean looks and snide comments. It doesn't even bother me anymore though. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and if someone doesn't agree with who I choose to date it doesn't matter to me. Especially if it's a stranger who knows nothing about me, my partner or our situation. You could say that we have differet backgrounds or whatever but what if I dated a black guy who grew up in a "white neighborhood". We had all the same interests, went to the same schools and church...what if his parents were doctors just like my parents?
0 likes [|reply]
14 Apr 2010, 09:29
Transit
It is racist, it is quite ironic though, I would like to ask these racists who are against mixed raced marriages to look at their family tree, will you start hating yourself when you realise you aren't 'pure' bred?
0 likes [|reply]
14 Apr 2010, 21:31
queenbutterfly
Well said my friend! :)
0 likes [|reply]
14 Apr 2010, 22:26
Acid Fairy
How common would mixed marriages have been in the past though?
0 likes [|reply]
14 Apr 2010, 22:28
Transit
I'm talking about immigration, since we all originated from Africa, then european countries were continually conquered (where white American's came from) causing women to be raped etc creating mixed raced children.
0 likes [|reply]
14 Apr 2010, 22:29
Birrrdy
I mean, how far in the past are we talking? Consider wars and the raping of women. There was PLENTY of interracial child bearing going on.
0 likes [|reply]
15 Apr 2010, 18:00
Acid Fairy
Point! But that's not marriage. It was probably slave raping. Ugh. Nasty.
0 likes [|reply]
14 Apr 2010, 13:49
MaMa tO 2 MiRacLeS
OO so this is why I get stared at and mean looks when I am out and about with my boyfriend and kids lol I always just say when people obviously have a problem with the fact that my kids are black that they should just be lucky that I am not their daughter. People really need to just mind their own business. It's a shame that people still think like that.
0 likes [|reply]
14 Apr 2010, 20:25
Miss
it's totally racist to be against interracial relationships. it's being judgmental and drawing conclusions about a couple you know nothing about. my dad was unhappy when i told him i was dating a mexican(hispanic) SOLELY because he wasn't white. but after my dad met him and they got to talking, they really hit it off and my dad's cool with it now. people just need to start looking at the person, not the race.
0 likes [|reply]
14 Apr 2010, 22:05
.miss.raditude.
*throwing hands in the air* I'm out of this one.
0 likes [|reply]
14 Apr 2010, 22:26
Acid Fairy
Good idea. If you have the 'wrong' beliefs in this forum you get screwed at. I speak from experience! ;D
0 likes [|reply]
14 Apr 2010, 23:17
.miss.raditude.
Well, I'm not racist, by any means. You know? But does it make me "racist" because I won't date a black guy? I mean, really. I certainly don't chastise anybody who dates outside their own race, it's their business.
0 likes [|reply]
15 Apr 2010, 00:52
.love.struck.
I agree. If people have certain races or race they are attracted to, it is not racist. It's what people are attracted to. I'm not against anyone who dates everyone, that is what they like.
0 likes [|reply]
15 Apr 2010, 01:42
.miss.raditude.
I mean, personally, I stay within my own race. But I have several friends who have dated african americans, or hispanic, or whichever. More power to them. If they're happy, then so am I.
0 likes [|reply]
15 Apr 2010, 18:02
Acid Fairy
Well I slept with a black South African during my misspent youth and it was a terrible experience... bad sex, he was a twat, he wouldn't wear a condom, I had to get tested... you name it!
And it's ridiculous but that experience has put me off black men. Then again, I am not really attracted to black men anyway. I have a thing for blondes at the moment ;)
0 likes [|reply]
15 Apr 2010, 18:08
.miss.raditude.
Haha...I've slept with a black guy as well, he was a buddy of mine. And he was a cop. Not a bad experience at all, but just wasn't my cup o' tea. I'm into the punk rocker looking guys. I know, totally overrated.
0 likes [|reply]
15 Apr 2010, 21:25
Chris
How come you didn't just not have sex with him, yo?
0 likes [|reply]
15 Apr 2010, 23:14
Acid Fairy
Cos I was horny? Is that a valid reason? ;D
This thread is locked, unable to reply
Online Friends
Offline Friends