Your Username:
Your Password:

[ sign up | recover ]

Discussion Forums » Thread Graveyard
I just have a question.
0 likes [|reply]
26 Jan 2011, 00:21
Jessica [Private]
Haha. My dad's got a facebook as well ;D It's hilarious.

I think my dad initially sees nothing but color. But like I said with my sister, he got over it.
0 likes [|reply]
26 Jan 2011, 23:55
Aspiring Boxer
Not trying to butt in here or anything (I guess by posting this, I am butting in but that is not my intention), but have any of you guys ever considered that you guys might be misunderstanding what Amber really means? She doesn't exactly have the best grammar so what she says sometimes comes across completely wrong. I know Amber personally and I can vouch that she isn't racist, nor is she a homophobic. What she meant was, the reason why some people wouldn't agree with interracial dating is because of other people's reactions (as in racist people's reactions). What she meant was if someone dated someone else outside their race, that would be inviting issues from racist people. She isn't against interracial dating (or marriage), she was just trying to say that she understood why some people wouldn't agree with interracial dating.
0 likes [|reply]
27 Jan 2011, 00:25
Roche Coach
@Aspiring Boxer: She isn't against it but she doesn't agree with it? Because of other peoples' reactions? I don't understand.
0 likes [|reply]
27 Jan 2011, 02:33
Aspiring Boxer
I'm going to cut parts out of Amber's post, the way I understand it. Don't get me wrong, I do understand that if you take her post the way it is written, it does kind of sound racist but that is not how she means to come across. I know this because other than knowing Amber personally, I also deal with a lot of deaf people (being deaf myself). I see their grammar firsthand so I know how difficult it can be for someone to read a deaf person's grammar, how easy it is to misunderstand, etc.

well, i personally DONT think its racist,
0 likes [|reply]
27 Jan 2011, 03:27
Roche Coach
That's weird. The message I got in my inbox showed the full post.

Anyway, I read it, and there's still something I'm not understanding. "I don't agree with interracial relationships," tells me that she also doesn't agree with other peoples' marriages.

Also, reading her post, as well as your post, I'm still inclined to think: Who gives a shit if other people care about your relationship? It's not their business either.
0 likes [|reply]
27 Jan 2011, 19:31
Aspiring Boxer
Huh? Why was my post cut off? I just now noticed that. I can't be bothered to type up the whole thing again.

I don't see where Amber says that she doesn't agree with interracial relationships. The very end of her post says that she's fine with it but understands that there are some people out there who don't agree with it and aren't racist themselves. (Or so she thinks)

"Also, reading her post, as well as your post, I'm still inclined to think: Who gives a shit if other people care about your relationship? It's not their business either. "
I agree with you.
0 likes [|reply]
27 Jan 2011, 19:49
Roche Coach
@Aspiring Boxer: That's fine, the full post appeared in my inbox.
0 likes [|reply]
31 Jan 2011, 03:15
Sypha Belnades
If you have to ask if something is racist, it is.
0 likes [|reply]
14 Apr 2010, 02:52
starsmaycollide
uh, no, you're not missing anything, and it doesn't have anything to do with where you're from (I just want to say that before a debate starts about where racists people tend to live...heh) .

That's just a really ignorant statement. It's laughable for someone to say that they are against interracial dating, claim it's not racist to think so, AND try to 'not offend ' others all in the same sentence. Wow.
0 likes [|reply]
14 Apr 2010, 03:03
Music God CJ Plain
0 likes [|reply]
14 Apr 2010, 03:04
Music God CJ Plain
Oops, sorry...hit the wrong button. I'm gonna keep my opinion to myself on this one. LOL
0 likes [|reply]
14 Apr 2010, 03:03
~RedFraggle~
Of course it's racist! To not be racist means that you don't look at other races any differently, and to be against interacial marriage means you definitely see the person of other race as different.

To be against interacial marriage IS racist.
0 likes [|reply]
14 Apr 2010, 03:16
Birrrdy
I was stunned. And I was just thinking: People like this don't exist anymore! What am I missing?
I guess I'm fortunate enough to live in a very diverse city, study at a culturally rich university, and be surrounded by intelligent, open-minded people.
0 likes [|reply]
16 Apr 2010, 22:10
Kelsey Lynn xox
haha, people like this don't exist? yeah, they definitely do..its quite a shame eh? you say you're from detroit? i'm quite surprised that you were suprised by this racism..it's particularly bad around here (i'm from about 20 mins south of detroit)

and just re-read my sentence, and i'm sorry if i came off too sarcastic..please don't take it in that way :)
0 likes [|reply]
24 Jan 2011, 19:01
~Just the 3 of Us~
@Birrdy

"I was stunned. And I was just thinking: People like this don't exist anymore! What am I missing?"

....actually a lot of people who feel this way exist. Racism is not as far gone as many people like to think it is.
0 likes [|reply]
14 Apr 2010, 03:17
Mami 2 ♥ 1
Completely agree with RedFraggle on this one!
0 likes [|reply]
14 Apr 2010, 04:19
HorrorVixen XO
if that isn't racist then i dont know what is... wow i didnt know people like u STILL existed.. welcome to the 21st century....
0 likes [|reply]
14 Apr 2010, 04:54
Jessica [Private]
She did mention that she didn't write that...
That she found it in someones diary.
0 likes [|reply]
14 Apr 2010, 14:53
Birrrdy
What Jessica said. I didn't write that shit.
0 likes [|reply]
14 Apr 2010, 17:51
HorrorVixen XO
my bad.. but that's what i'd say to the person.
0 likes [|reply]
14 Apr 2010, 04:21
Tam I Am
I don't agree with interracial marriages, but that in no way makes me racist. Racism is hatred or intolerance of another race. Just because you don't agree with the idea of an interracial marriage doesn't automatically make you racist. I work in a town that is predominately black and I see these types of relationships all the time. While it bothers me, it doesn't cause me to treat the people in the relationships any different. It's just a belief. Everyone's allowed to have their own beliefs.
0 likes [|reply]
14 Apr 2010, 04:35
Makayla
But what don't you agree with? I just don't understand why something like that would bother you. You may say "well in my opinion I wouldn't be with someone outside of my race because I'm not attracted to them, or I want someone with the same beliefs & culture as me, etc." and that would all be fine & dandy because you actually had a reason outside of the color of their skin. But to say I don't agree with other people having interracial relationships that goes outside your own preferences & you are placing judgement on someone just because they are dating someone whose skin color is different. And that my dear is racist.

Everyone always says "I don't agree with interracial marriages, but I'm not racist" but they never give the actual reason behind it. So I ask why do you not agree with someone of different races marrying or being in a relationship?
0 likes [|reply]
14 Apr 2010, 04:43
Tam I Am
Each race has different cultural views and I think that while you -can- mesh the two together it doesn't always work. Also, I know down in the area where I live, most interracial marriages/relationships are more prone to cheating and/or violence than others.
0 likes [|reply]
14 Apr 2010, 04:48
Makayla
I'd like to see the statistics that interracial marriages tend to be more violent & prone to cheating than to any other relationships. But as you said the two can mesh together. Even when you are talking about the same race people can have differences. My mom is Baptist & my step-dad is Church of Christ does that make their relationship wrong? In the sense you are using differences equal problems. So does that mean we are supposed to find someone who is exactly like us in every way? If so, what's the fun in that? And good luck trying to find it in this world.
0 likes [|reply]
14 Apr 2010, 05:07
Jessica [Private]
I wouldn't think that two different religions would make anything WRONG.
Just gives the relationship the potential to be more difficult, especially if the two were extremely set in their beliefs and unwilling to bend. (Which obviously is irrelevant to your parents since they're together ;))
Which I think is something only the couple themselves should be concerned with.

If a couple want to be together; let them be together.

It's no different than Gay marriage.
If you're not gay it doesn't pertain to you, so why the hell do you care?

I could care less who other people date; as long as they're happy and treated well.
This thread is locked, unable to reply
Online Friends
Offline Friends