Your Username:
Your Password:

[ sign up | recover ]

Discussion Forums » Thread Graveyard
I just have a question.
0 likes [|reply]
14 Apr 2010, 05:12
Makayla
That's kinda what I don't get about people saying they don't agree with interracial marriages but they aren't racist. Someone else's relationship has nothing to do with you so why should you have to agree or disagree with it? It's your own prerogative to say you won't date outside your race because of valid reasons other than just the race of that person. But to say you don't agree with interracial relationships all together makes you racist in my opinion because you are basing your whole disagreement on their race. Hope that made sense. :P
0 likes [|reply]
14 Apr 2010, 05:16
Jessica [Private]
I think it's someones prerogative to not date outside their race even if there isn't a valid reason ;D

I don't have a valid reason for not dating outside of my race.
I'm just only attracted to white boys ;D
0 likes [|reply]
14 Apr 2010, 05:26
Makayla
Well that would be a valid reason then. I guess what I mean is not having a reasoning behind it. Like some women I know say "I don't date black guys" but when you ask them why they say "because I just don't"....

Like take me for example I wouldn't date an Asian guy..not because I'm racist but because I don't find them attractive. You can't help it if you don't find a particular race attractive.
0 likes [|reply]
14 Apr 2010, 05:28
Jessica [Private]
Oh ;D Gotcha!

Yeah I hate people that do that. If you're not going to do something, have a reason behind it. Weather its dating or anything else ;D
0 likes [|reply]
16 Apr 2010, 01:12
Estella
That could be because some people can't put their reasons into words, yo! Like, not everyone is articulate. They could have a reason, like Jessica's, but they are not able to articulate it, due to lack of self-awareness, lack of eloquence, etc. People generally have reasons for what they do, regardless of whether or not they are aware of these reasons.

For instance, someone could say to you, 'Why don't you find Asian guys attractive?' and you might say 'Because I just don't' and they might find that an invalid reason. But it's likely you have reasons in your subconscious, but you are not aware of them - we all have reasons for our preferences, yo!
0 likes [|reply]
16 Apr 2010, 04:25
Makayla
I guess I'm meaning the ones who don't date outside their own race just because they believe it's just "wrong". When someone can't give you a valid reason why it's "wrong" in their opinion then I take it as they just think they are superior to them indicating their racism.
0 likes [|reply]
14 Apr 2010, 14:22
Madeline Rain
"Each race has different cultural views"
Really? What are the cultural views of white people? Black? Hispanic? Enlighten me here.

"most interracial marriages/relationships are more prone to cheating and/or violence than others"
Is this an opinion or a fact? You state it as fact, but don't back it up with statistics. I would like to see actual numbers of domestic violence in interracial couples v. uniracial ones. If it is an opinion, I urge you to think about what you're about to write in a public forum. I've seen few things more ignorant than this in my almost seven years in bloop.

You can say "I'm not racist" until you're blue in the face, but saying you "don't agree" with interracial relationships is a racist statement, no matter where you put it. Stereotyping people based on their skin color and/or ethnic background only promotes ignorance and bias.

For the record, I am Hispanic and my husband is white. Even though we have very diverse backgrounds, we choose to learn from each other and enrichen our lives, as well as the lives of those around us. We're both educated, well traveled and embrace people from all walks of life. Maybe you should try to see outside your bubble and stop making judgments based on just your immediate vicinity.
0 likes [|reply]
14 Apr 2010, 14:57
Birrrdy
And on that note, America is culture. So two Americans can date, though their races can date, and still have similarities. I mean---How are you going to define culture? You can put together any two people and find some sort of "cultural experience" that they share.
0 likes [|reply]
14 Apr 2010, 22:21
Acid Fairy
But how about not America? In Europe, different races do seem to have their own culture. Which is nice that they've not abandoned it, but sometimes cultures have difficulty meshing together. Of course that is a generalised statement and this is a disclaimer put here so nobody goes yelling at me!
0 likes [|reply]
15 Apr 2010, 20:57
Chris
Dazz, Livejournal:

"I would like to know who conducted this study. The department of pulling stuff out your bigoted ass?"
0 likes [|reply]
14 Apr 2010, 04:44
*Forever Changing*
I am curious too. My husband is hispanic and Native American, and I am white, I hear this all the time, that its wrong that we are married and that we have no business being married. I understand having your own beliefs, I guess I just dont understand the beliefs.
0 likes [|reply]
14 Apr 2010, 04:49
Makayla
haha I thought Jeff was white.
0 likes [|reply]
14 Apr 2010, 04:52
*Forever Changing*
hahaha nope. He is Hispanic, and very proud of it from his moms side and his dad is Native American. The fact that he is like a 5th generation Hispanic-American doesnt matter to most people they just see him as an outsider. The worst part? They always automatically assume he is Mexican when they hear he is Hispanic, he isnt, his family is from Spain lol.
0 likes [|reply]
14 Apr 2010, 04:59
Makayla
That's so stupid. Especially since America is really a melting pot of cultures & races. White people are probably the most interracial of all races honestly because our skin color could come from like 100 different places. But sadly from what I have seen in my life "white people" seem to be the most racist of all races & it seems a bit backhanded when they say it because really everyone came from somewhere. All of our ancestors were immigrants from a different country, besides the ones that are Native American. But even Native Americans aren't considered "white". lol It's just so confusing to me..that's why I don't put too much emphasis on race.

I barely pay attention to someone's skin color or facial features to decide on what race they are hence me not realizing Jeff wasn't white...lmao
0 likes [|reply]
14 Apr 2010, 05:02
*Forever Changing*
I am the same way, the only reason I found out he wasnt white was because he said "Baby you are the minority here" when we moved to the ghetto in Denver, and I said "well arent you too then?" and he started laughing and I was like "what? You are white, what makes you different then me" then I got the whole "I am not white" lecture. LOL. *shrugs* obviously it didnt matter that much to me!
0 likes [|reply]
14 Apr 2010, 05:04
Makayla
That's hilarious that you married someone before you realized they weren't white. Only you Mindi. ;D
0 likes [|reply]
14 Apr 2010, 05:05
*Forever Changing*
I know!! I felt like an IDIOT hahaha. My mom even knew I just told her she was nuts and he was white. Lol. Shows what I know.
0 likes [|reply]
14 Apr 2010, 05:09
Jessica [Private]
Then wouldn't he be considered Spanish, technically? And not Hispanic?
0 likes [|reply]
14 Apr 2010, 05:10
*Forever Changing*
Its considered a Hispanic race. Yes he is Spanish, but on the form when it says are you Hispanic, many time they include any Spanish descendants in that category. So he is Hispanic, and Spanish.
0 likes [|reply]
14 Apr 2010, 05:11
Jessica [Private]
Ah, I wasn't aware of that!
I thought Hispanic just included people from around the Americas. ;D
0 likes [|reply]
14 Apr 2010, 05:12
*Forever Changing*
Lol, nope, I didnt know it either until I got my history lesson from my husband lol. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hispanic :):)
0 likes [|reply]
14 Apr 2010, 05:19
Jessica [Private]
Ah, I see!

Although that just says modernly it's used as "Countries formerly Ruled by Spain. / These include Mexico, the majority of the Central and South American countries, and most of the Greater Antilles."
But I'd be more inclined to believe an actual Spanish person, versus Wikipedia ;D
0 likes [|reply]
14 Apr 2010, 05:21
*Forever Changing*
Or maybe he is old fashioned *shrugs* all I know is the census made me mark all my babies as hispanic because they are of Spanish decent. LOL.
0 likes [|reply]
14 Apr 2010, 05:26
Jessica [Private]
That's amusing.
I'm surprised they don't have more options for race on those things.

Surely a full blooded Greek person couldn't be considered white?
I would consider them Greek ;D
0 likes [|reply]
14 Apr 2010, 05:28
*Forever Changing*
Well apparently I have no sense of race and who is what, I guess thats why I would be a bad racist.
This thread is locked, unable to reply
Online Friends
Offline Friends