Your Username:
Your Password:

[ sign up | recover ]

Discussion Forums » Thread Graveyard
I just have a question.
0 likes [|reply]
14 Apr 2010, 02:45
Birrrdy
"[just to clarify, im against interracial dating, thats why i threw in the whole "black guy" thing... not because im racist or anything... just so no one is offended.]"

This was in someone's entry. They can claim up to it if they want to. I'm not even going to point it out.

...Is it just me? Where I'm from? (Detroit.) But is this not racist?

Is being against interracial dating considered a legitimate opinion or racism?

Seriously. I'm asking.

(I just figure, because it's illegal to discriminate against two people of different races who are involved... You know?

I ask here, because I don't want to leave a comment if I'm wrong on this. I feel like I'm missing something.
0 likes [|reply]
14 Apr 2010, 03:09
*Forever Changing*
Its racist. Point blank. Who are you to say because of the color of their skin they cannot love each other?
0 likes [|reply]
14 Apr 2010, 03:17
Aiure
That's the equivalent of saying "I'm not homophobic - gays are just fine - but I'm totally against gay marriage."

It's a contradictory statement intended to save face.
0 likes [|reply]
15 Apr 2010, 22:55
kein mitleid
Being homophobic and against gay marriage are not even close to the same thing. Plenty of people can be against gay marriage, without being homophobic.

For instance, I am definitely not homophobic, but I am against gay marriage (as a matter of semantics, it's an oxymoron.)

0 likes [|reply]
18 Apr 2010, 04:37
T.A.I
Not necessarily. I've met Christians who hols that belief. They have absolutely no qualms with homosexuals, but they just don't support gay marriage. Liking/Tolerating/Being friends with someone doesn't always necessitate support for that person. :-/
0 likes [|reply]
14 Apr 2010, 11:21
lithium layouts.
Racism is an intolerance or prejudice based on the colour of one's skin. And if the person who wrote that is 'against interracial dating' because people of two different skin colours are dating (and for no other reason than that), then it's racism. Point blank.

I'm Italian, dating a Chinese guy. We've been together for over two years now. To be honest I never thought that would happen, a) because I just always assumed I'd date only other Italians, and b) because I was never attracted to Asians. But, here we are. xD

Also, interracial dating and marriages are actually quite good for strengthening the gene pool. xD The more genetic variation, the better your offspring fare!
0 likes [|reply]
14 Apr 2010, 18:47
*~Loving You~*
not not really - i didnt know anything my mom didnt want me to marry a black guy, and she tried to tell me how it works because she has a friend (at the time) she was white and she was living with a black man, has two kids, and his family is from back east (i am from wa) and they wouldnt accept the kids and the people would talk shit to them about them.

i didnt get it till i went back east, and i thought this black guy was cute i started flirting, and then i would see the other people treating me like i was some white trash (i was like 17 at the time - went to washington dc, PA) and i would compliment this girl's clothes and she gave me this werid look, but people there are so much different from here.. because back there they dont interact with all kinds of race sadly. i would watch the news one morning over there there was a bunch of kids doing some volunteer work, and there was one black guy and they isolated him, he didnt look happy.

i wouldnt say racist thing for not dating black person when your white, but the fact that people back east isnt as open over here. there are still some issues with gay people (obviously) so its like a whole another world over there compare to here.

i am not against dating different race, but it can be cruel out there if the families are against it. but if a person who doesnt want to date a black person because they are black thats kinda racist. i always thought mocha color guys are hot!
0 likes [|reply]
14 Apr 2010, 22:14
Acid Fairy
Yeah; where I live, white girls who date black guys are definitely seen as skanks. I don't know why, but it's just the way people react. There are so many variables as to why someone would say this that it's not even worth debating!

Some people are scared of interracial dating I think because most people are mainly attracted to people of their own race and so it's still rather rare. Which is bizarre when you think of it!
0 likes [|reply]
14 Apr 2010, 22:49
*~Loving You~*
yeah but like i said no one here really cares! lol, all over washington, oregon, cali - no one cares who dates who. it just a scary world out there.

heres a sad touchy story i cried when my friend told me this in person, a LONG verson but im gonna say the short, she is half white but her dad is half black and half korea. her grandma is her 60s, or 70s. wayyy back in the day, her grandma's husband was in the miltary for USA, and married her. her and her sister were very close, called every day and everything, the entire family except the sister disowned her grandmother because she was korean, and she married a black american man. so they wrote all the time, till she moved here, and she LOST her sister's address and info. for OVER 50 years nothing. and my friend's dad decided to go back there, and find her, and they stayed for a couple of weeks, and i guess they found her immedatly cuz i guess someone died and it had a connection or something. and they re united. and she stayed there for a few months. her dad flew her sister's out here a couple of times already they been going back and forth...

pretty cool huh? they were so against it way back then, and now they dont even care (the family) maybe one day things will change back east eh?
0 likes [|reply]
14 Apr 2010, 19:31
Poetic Justice
Bah. I think they *stated* it a little harshly, but in all honestly, I don't think being against interracial dating makes you a racist. There's a difference between being 'against' something as in you think it should be illegal and NO ONE should be allowed to do it... And being 'against it' as in it's just not something that you would do yourself. We can't tell one way or the other with this person, so you cant really say whether or not they are racist.
0 likes [|reply]
18 Apr 2010, 04:39
T.A.I
Exactly. Not to mention people's word choices don't always accurately reflect what they're trying to convey.

Just look at these forums from time to time :-p
0 likes [|reply]
14 Apr 2010, 21:55
Acid Fairy
I dunno, I don't know the whole story so I can't say... yadda yadda yadda...
0 likes [|reply]
15 Apr 2010, 22:48
Tommy Decentralized
I think someone should point out that all of the so called races of man, have been traced to one small group in Africa, Negros, that survived Earth's many drastic changes. All of us came from a small group of Negros approximately 250 thousand years ago. ie we're all black, nature's favorite color. That skin color change is only a result of migrating away from the equator. Making racism a "pigment" of one's imagine nation. So in reality, there's no such thing as race mixing. we all share the very same ancestors, a small group of Negro's from Africa.
You're just as black as anyone, and the only reason your skin color is white, is do to location, migration of the ancestors that we all share.
The only time one can truly be racist, is if they bought into the racist ideology that state religions have created.
0 likes [|reply]
16 Apr 2010, 21:57
Lovin'MyLittles
I don't think saying "black guy" is racist.
However, I think being against interracial dating is quite stupid and itself is racism.
I dated black men (and I am a white woman) for many years.
I have no preference at all, as I am now married to a white man.
It's not the outside of a person that counts, it's their insides. :P The guts and stuff, ya know.
0 likes [|reply]
22 Apr 2010, 19:03
DivaAshley
I don't know... it's definitely not "racist" in the sense that they are actually discriminating against people because of their race. If they said, " Well she is a different race, so she's not GOOD enough to date him." Yes, that's racist. There's nothing wrong with being against decisions other people make. I think it depends on the "why" and the background to that thought. Personally, I believe interracial dating and marriage shouldn't be an issue, but so many people have been brought up to believe that it's wrong (my grandparents believe it, I was taught that), it's common. I don't think my grandparents believe that another race is inferior, they just think that the decision to date or marry inter racially is wrong. It definitely didn't stop my sister and I from dating people of other races, though... lol.
0 likes [|reply]
24 Jan 2011, 21:50
*~Loving You~*
I might just get some respond too - but i will not respond to any negative comments - it will be ingored.

well, i personally DONT think its racist, i will tell you why. for years when i was growing up, my mom isnt a racist either, she tells me i SHOULDNT marry a black guy. and i didnt understand why - i thought she was being a racist. i have some black friends and everything, when i was about 16 years old, i understood why once i went back east - after my mom telling me why i shouldnt, how people would treat the while women like trash her friend would go to the store and the little boy would say "mommy look at that white trash shes with him" and the mother responded with a rude glare towards her friend and said "yes i know sad isnt it?"

that is horriable, and i went back east, i thought some black guy was really hot - and he was drawing me, but he wasnt very talktive till a lil later i started to flirt with him, but then the other couple in the same room who was getitng themselves drawn heard us, and started to make rude comments and giving me dirty looks, i would compliment a black girl's shirt it was really cute, and she looked at me and laughed and walked away with her friends. i have noticed back in PA/WASHINGOTN DC there is NO mixed race, and i would watch the news the group with white people would leave out the teenage black boy.

THEN i understood why she didnt want me to go through with it... alot of people agrees with the way you think, but theres also other reasons

i believe its okay thats just me, but i can understand why the way things can be, there are racist people all over... against any kind of race. so no i dont think your being a racist you just dont believe in those kind of couples. just like people dont believe in gay lifestyle - and it doesnt make them a homophobic. (how ever you spell that)
0 likes [|reply]
25 Jan 2011, 05:54
Roche Coach
@*~Loving You~*: You don't have to think it's racist, but that doesn't take away from the fact that it's racist. Deal with it.

And of course you're not going to respond to negative comments. Didn't expect that at all.
0 likes [|reply]
25 Jan 2011, 14:15
kein mitleid
@Loving: You said "i have noticed back in PA/WASHINGOTN DC there is NO mixed race," but I'm confused by that. There are many mixed race couples in PA, as I've been here for 28 some odd years. As a matter of fact, my former boss is in an interracial marriage, I myself am in an interracial marriage, my best friend is in a serious relationship with a girl that is not his race, many of my friends date "outside" their race. Anecdotal evidence from your own experience does not mean that entire states and regions do not have interracial relationships.
0 likes [|reply]
25 Jan 2011, 18:11
Roche Coach
@*~Loving You~*: Oh, you're Amber. Now this ignorant ass post makes a little bit more sense.
0 likes [|reply]
25 Jan 2011, 18:14
Jessica [Private]
ROFL. I'm loving how you didn't realize that before.
0 likes [|reply]
25 Jan 2011, 18:48
Roche Coach
Well, only she could make a post that says, "WELL MY MOM SAID NOT TO MARRY A BLACK GUY, PLUS THERE ARE LIKE... NO INTERRACIAL COUPLES IN WASHINGTON D.C. SO I DISAGREE WITH INTERRACIAL MARRIAGES."

Should have probably noticed sooner, in retrospect .
0 likes [|reply]
25 Jan 2011, 19:02
Jessica [Private]
I've never even BEEN to DC, and I know that statement is complete bull.

I think it's one thing to say "Where I live it's a big hassle to have a mixed relationship, so it's something I've avoided." over "MY MOM SAID NOT TO. SHES RIGHT BECAUSE PEOPLE WHERE I LIVE ARE IGNORANT."

/facekeyboard
0 likes [|reply]
25 Jan 2011, 23:25
Emily the Strange
I don't think I'd admit it if my mother ever said anything like that...
0 likes [|reply]
25 Jan 2011, 23:32
Jessica [Private]
Haha. I remember when I was a kid my dad said he wouldn't approve of me dating someone who wasn't white.
He said the same thing to my sister, but she married a Mexican man, and he got over it. ;D

But my dad is also in his late 50s. I think a lot of his opinions and views are a result of the time he grew up in, so I never thought twice on taking him seriously ;D
0 likes [|reply]
25 Jan 2011, 23:41
Emily the Strange
My dad is 71 with a facebook and believes he's actually a rebellious teenager. I can't wait to be old.

I asked him about the race issue (my fiance is half mexican, half white) and he said that a parent shouldn't look at what color their child's mate is, they should look at the happiness of their child. Which, I agree with.
This thread is locked, unable to reply
Online Friends
Offline Friends