Texas Police Say Woman Killed Baby, Ate Brain
0 likes [|reply]
30 Jul 2009, 22:51
~RedFraggle~
I absolutely agree.
0 likes [|reply]
31 Jul 2009, 08:25
.love.struck.
I disagree. Yes, they knew about her condition and they should of done something about it. They didn't though. They should of forced her into some care and made her take her meds is what someone would do if they loved them. It may sound bad but they are doing them a favor. Fact is that they didn't commit the horrible act she did, so why should they be locked up? We can say everyone is at fault, but when it comes to the facts, she was the one who did it. She refused to take her meds.
0 likes [|reply]
31 Jul 2009, 17:25
*Forever Changing*
If you know someone is going to rob a bank, and you do not do anything about it, the law says you are an accessory. Therefor, if you KNOW for a fact she is a danger, you again are guilty of neglagent homicide. Period. No questions asked. The question actually is, will the law persue those people. I think they should, because THEN if they did that, then more people would be apt to turn to the authorities and less babies would be killed because of this.

Just because you and so many other people seem to have it out for the sick, and not show any compassion what so ever does not mean your line of thinking is correct. Until you are sick, or going through something even remotely similar to what the mentally ill go through, especially after childbirth, you have no room to judge.

That is like punishing someone for throwing up on your brand new carpet, when you knew he had the flu and told him to sleep on your couch. It is NOT the person who threw ups fault he got sick, you should have taken the steps to avoid him throwing up on the carpet.

Granted that is a much different situation then this, but ultimately it is the same concept.
0 likes [|reply]
31 Jul 2009, 17:49
~RedFraggle~
For the tenth time! Her refusal to take her meds and her inability to believe she was sick is a SYMPTOM of her disease!

THIS is exactly why I say you are ignorant. It has nothing to do with opinion. It is because you constantly choose to ignore the facts (not opinions, FACTS) because you'd prefer to ignore them and pursue your hate campaign. If you acknowledge the facts, you couldn't do that. So you ignore them. THAT is what is ignorant.

It is a fact that she has been diagnosed with schizophenia. It is a fact that one of the major symptoms of schizophrenia is an inability of the person to recognise when they're ill (and so of course they refuse to take medication).

But despite this you say you KEEP on saying she should have recognised she was sick and done something about it... You keep on saying she just should have taken her medication. Despite people explaining WHY schizophrenics often refuse drugs and that their lack of insight is a symptom of the disease.

You choose to ignore these facts. And therefore you are ignorant. Anyone with any understanding of mental illness would say the same thing about your comments here. Just because they're too nice to say it to you doesn't mean they're not thinking it.
0 likes [|reply]
1 Aug 2009, 07:48
T.A.I
Seriously.

If someone is that bad and refuses Schizo meds, isn't the whole point to get them to take them and get them to a point of sanity to where they can understand they need to have them?

(I'm honestly curious, as I'm working on getting a Psych degree, and pharmaceuticals interest me. I've been thinking about pairing the two up.)
0 likes [|reply]
1 Aug 2009, 09:42
~RedFraggle~
Absolutely. And patients can be forced to take medication by a court, under the mental health act. I've seen this happen several times. In cases of patients living in the community, usually it means they're told they MUST attend a clinic once every 6 weeks or so for a depot (i.e. long lasting) injection. If they don't, then they can be arrested and admitted to hospital (against their wishes if necessary).

Do you mean you're considering a pharmacy degree? (To become a pharmacist) Or a pharmacology degree? If you're interested in psychology, then I think pharmacology (particularly if there's the opportunity to focus on neuropharmacology) could be very interesting.
0 likes [|reply]
1 Aug 2009, 19:31
T.A.I
I've considered the pharmacy field, but I'm also looking into staying in the Psych field, potentially as a Psychiatrist.
0 likes [|reply]
2 Aug 2009, 17:03
~RedFraggle~
Are you applying for med school?
0 likes [|reply]
1 Aug 2009, 19:33
Transit
It is a shame they cannot make a rod (similar to the contraceptive one) to deliver medication to those suffering from mental health issues.
0 likes [|reply]
30 Jul 2009, 03:33
& skull.
well to be fair i don't think anyone knew she had that condition at the start. i didn't.

and red fraggle's right. it's common for patients with schizophrenia to not believe they're sick.

the guy in the article even said that the husband didn't mention her condition and that they missed it. if you miss a pre existing condition, it makes things harder to sort out. they may have forced her to take medication.

as for your summary, well here's my own take on it: blah blah blah, bottom line is a baby died, a mother did something unthinkable that she'll never come to terms with, and a father lost his wife and child in one go.
0 likes [|reply]
30 Jul 2009, 04:18
Half Dozen Mama
They did know... the husband was talking about it on Fox News. Saying she had quit taking her meds because she didnt like the way they made her feel.
0 likes [|reply]
30 Jul 2009, 13:38
& skull.
the article i linked said the husband didn't tell them anything. hence missing it. "If this guy had given us an indication that she had postpartum depression, or mental defects she was suffering from, we may have addressed it differently," said Bexar County Sheriff Chief Deputy Dale Bennett.
0 likes [|reply]
29 Jul 2009, 19:43
Mojo Jojo
I think pueperal psychosis has been mentioned upthread. That is FAR worse than just PPD, it is a condition where women will kill their child or themselves without a thought, caused by the stress and hormonal changes of birth. It is extremely rare.

That poor innocent baby.
0 likes [|reply]
30 Jul 2009, 04:13
Half Dozen Mama
I watched something on this tonight on Fox news. The father of the baby was on there, speaking about the incubator. (I cant call her a mother) He said she had threatened to kill HIM (the father) before, making comments such as.. "I'd get away with it, I'm insane, remember? All I have to do is say the devil made me do it." So he thinks she is pulling the devil card to get away with it.

If she had just killed the baby, and said the devil made her do it.. I'd see where he was coming from. But to actually go as far as she did (the eating of his parts, ugh I cry just typing that) and stabbing herself, you know she had to be out of it.

I think he is worthless for ever leaving his son alone w/ a woman who threatened to kill him before. And insane or not, as heinous as this was.. she needs life without paraloe at the very least.
0 likes [|reply]
30 Jul 2009, 13:40
& skull.
he actually also suffers from schizophrenia as well.
0 likes [|reply]
30 Jul 2009, 22:52
~RedFraggle~
Oh, I didn't know that.

There MUST have been social workers involved with that family then. So someone really should have done more to protect those children (someone being the socail workers).
0 likes [|reply]
30 Jul 2009, 19:44
.love.struck.
What bothers me is the fact that she has a history of this and no one did anything. Maybe if it was just them, but there was a child in the house. Where was CPS to help this baby? Or there parents? SOMEBODY! Another thing that bothers me are those people defending her! I'm sorry, but there is no excuse for her. I can't call her a mother either.
0 likes [|reply]
30 Jul 2009, 07:12
RealLifeComics
COuldnt even finish reading the article. Its really sad.
0 likes [|reply]
30 Jul 2009, 07:12
RealLifeComics
COuldnt even finish reading the article. Its really sad.
0 likes [|reply]
31 Jul 2009, 02:13
BloodSplatteredAngel
It's horrible if the woman truly has schizophrenia this she needs medical and mental help. she'll never get over what she did whether she was insane or not
0 likes [|reply]
31 Jul 2009, 02:30
CrystalShapedHeart
wow i really don't know what to say. that's really sad.
0 likes [|reply]
1 Aug 2009, 19:26
Makayla
I wanted to add something something, I don't know if it's been discussed before or not. But the baby's father has came out and said that Otty (the mother) has said to him before that she wanted to kill him, and all she would have to do is say the devil made her do it. The same thing she said in this case. In case you didn't know the baby's father is also schizophrienic. Do you think that this will affect an insanity plea??

In my opinion, I don't think it would, seeing as this woman ATE the child's brain and some of his toes. If she had just killed him, and didn't do any of that crazy stuff, I think it would def affect her pleading insanity. In my opinion, there is no way this woman could be in her right mind and do the things she did. I don't think ANYONE could plan to kill their child that way just to use the insanity defense.
0 likes [|reply]
2 Aug 2009, 17:08
~RedFraggle~
I don't know. I guess it depends how credible the husband is. Afterall, of course he's angry at her, so it wouldn't be surprising that he would say these things (he must also know that people are going to ask why he left his child with her if he felt she was a danger). And it sounds as if there was friction in their relationship already.

Besides, people often say things in anger that they don't mean. Just because she said that to him (if she did in fact say it), doesn't mean that she would have actually tried to kill him, or anyone. So I doubt the two things are connected, although I can't imagine his saying that will do any good for her case.

Also, why is a grieving father spending so much time talking to the press about the situation? Surely any normal person would want a bit of privacy after such a tragedy.
0 likes [|reply]
3 Aug 2009, 02:58
Makayla
I was thinking the same thing about how much time he has spent with the press when normal people would be so severely depressed, shocked, and sickened by what had happened. But then again, we aren't talking about normal people here either.
0 likes [|reply]
2 Aug 2009, 17:36
Estella
SEE, MY TAKE ON THIS (WHICH MAY WELL BE CONTROVERSIAL AND OFFEND PEOPLE) IS THAT IF I WERE SCHIZOPHRENIC AND MARRIED TO A SCHIZOPHRENIC GUY, I WOULD TOTALLY NOT HAVE KIDS IN THE FIRST PLACE. BUT A SCHIZOPHRENIC PERSON MATING WITH ANOTHER SCHIZOPHRENIC PERSON DOES NOT APPEAR TO BE ILLEGAL - FREE CHOICE AND ALL.
This thread is locked, unable to reply
Online Friends
Offline Friends