Your Username:
Your Password:

[ sign up | recover ]

Discussion Forums » In The News
Texas Police Say Woman Killed Baby, Ate Brain
0 likes [|reply]
3 Aug 2009, 02:57
Makayla
I agree with you. I mean how are they supposed to raise a child? But I guess them being mentally impaired they don't think about things like that.
0 likes [|reply]
3 Aug 2009, 04:32
Estella
WELL, THAT IS NOT NECESSARILY MY POINT, ALTHOUGH CERTAINLY SOMETHING TO CONSIDER FOR MANY. ABILITY TO RAISE KIDS WOULD BE DETERMINED ON A CASE-BY-CASE SITUATION. MANY PEOPLE WITH SCHIZOPHRENIA HAVE IT WELL CONTROLLED. HOWEVER, THERE WOULD BE A HIGH LIKELIHOOD OF THE CHILD ALSO HAVING SCHIZOPHRENIA IF BOTH PARENTS HAVE IT, AND WITH BOTH SETS OF GENES, THE KID MIGHT WELL BE SICKER THAN THE PARENTS. I'D SAY THE SAME ABOUT A MAN AND WOMAN WITH BIPOLAR HAVING KIDS. OR ANYONE WITH THE HUNTINGTON'S GENE. AND A VARIETY OF OTHER THINGS. IT IS A CONTROVERSIAL AREA THOUGH.
0 likes [|reply]
3 Aug 2009, 05:37
Makayla
It hasn't been proven that it is hereditary, although there are lots of evidence to back up that theory. That is also a good reason not to have kids with another schizophrenic person. But I mean you can't help who you fall in love with and want to have kids by.
0 likes [|reply]
3 Aug 2009, 19:24
~RedFraggle~
I have to admit I agree. Relationships between schizophrenics are common, and while they're often not healthy, psychologically, for either person, they do seem to gain some comfort in understanding what the other has gone through. And because of the social problems associated with schizophrenia it may be difficult for them to meet healthy adults who they can relate to. And some schizophrenics ARE well controlled on medication, I don't think they should be denied the right to have a child. And there's no guarantee the child with inherit it anyway.

There's A LOT of conditions which are hereditory. I don't think people should be forbidden from having children because of a hereditory condition then MIGHT pass on. Also, something possibly being hereditory is not the same as something being clearly genetically linked (such as breast cancer or huntington's disease). And even then, I don't think many people would say that a woman who has had breast cancer shouldn't have children, for fear of passing on the defective gene.
0 likes [|reply]
3 Aug 2009, 23:27
Estella
NAH, I'M NOT SAYING PEOPLE SHOULD BE FORBIDDEN FROM HAVING CHILDREN (THAT WOULD GET EVER SO COMPLICATED, BECAUSE THERE ARE ALL KINDS OF PEOPLE WHO MAYBE SHOULDN'T HAVE CHILDREN BUT DO) BUT I AM SAYING THAT IF I WERE IN THAT POSITION, I WOULD NOT HAVE KIDS (PROVIDED I HAD ENOUGH INSIGHT TO MAKE THAT DECISION), AND I WOULD THINK THAT WAS THE RIGHT MORAL DECISION.

AS FOR BREAST CANCER, WELL, THAT IS A CONDITION THAT CAN BE FIXED IF IT IS CAUGHT IN TIME, AND ONE IN THREE PEOPLE SUPPOSEDLY GET CANCER ANYWAY. HUNTINGTON'S CAN'T BE FIXED, AND IS PRETTY DEVASTATING, AND HAS MENTAL EFFECTS AS WELL AS PHYSICAL EFFECTS. I WOULD FAR RATHER HAVE PARENTS WHO CARRIED THE BREAST CANCER GENE THAN WHO CARRIED THE HUNTINGTON'S GENE. SO, IF I HAD BREAST CANCER AND WANTED TO HAVE KIDS, THEN I WOULD HAVE KIDS, BUT IF I HAD HUNTINGTON'S (OR WAS A CARRIER) AND WANTED TO HAVE KIDS, THEN I WOULDN'T - I WOULD ADOPT OR FOSTER OR SOMETHING.

I WOULD MAKE SUCH DECISIONS BASED ON PROBABILITY AND ALSO THE NATURE OF THE CONDITION, AND WHETHER IT IS A MENTAL ILLNESS OR A PHYSICAL ILLNESS OR BOTH.
0 likes [|reply]
5 Aug 2009, 03:27
Makayla
I will have to write that one down, I think this is the only time we have agreed on something. ;) I can understand that a schizophrenic person would be more comfortable with another schziophrenic because they battle with the same things. After all, anything can bring two people together, even if it's under bad circumstances and they find comfort in one another, because they know what each other is going through.

It's hard for another schizophrenic person to have a normal relationship with a healthy adult. My ex step-mom can be an example, her and my dad were married for 5 years and my dad fell completely in love with her. But her behavior eventually got the best of him and he had to call it quits.
0 likes [|reply]
3 Aug 2009, 23:17
Estella
WELL, YES, YO, THAT IS BECAUSE THEY HAVEN'T ISOLATED A 'SCHIZOPHRENIA' GENE, PROBABLY BECAUSE IT'S TOO COMPLEX TO HAVE A SINGLE GENE, AND THERE IS FAR MORE UNKNOWN THAN KNOWN ABOUT THE BRAIN. BUT AS YOU SAY, EVIDENCE CLEARLY SUGGESTS THAT IT RUNS IN FAMILIES. MORE THAN ENOUGH EVIDENCE THAT IF I WERE SCHIZOPHRENIC AND WERE TO FALL IN LOVE WITH ANOTHER SCHIZOPHRENIC, IF I HAD ENOUGH INSIGHT TO LOOK AHEAD AND MAKE MORAL DECISIONS, I WOULD CHOOSE NOT TO HAVE KIDS, NO MATTER WHETHER I WANTED TO OR NOT, BECAUSE I WOULD FEEL IT WAS UNFAIR TO THE KID. YOU CAN'T HELP WHO YOU FALL IN LOVE WITH AND WANT TO HAVE KIDS BY, BUT YOU CAN HELP HOW YOU ACT ON IT, PROVIDED YOUR BRAIN IS CAPABLE.
0 likes [|reply]
4 Aug 2009, 20:17
Acid Fairy
Did you hear that they have found a gene that is often linked to schizophrenia as well as creativity? Really interesting stuff, you can read it in New Scientist.
0 likes [|reply]
4 Aug 2009, 20:30
Estella
OOH - COOL, YO. WELL, THEY HAVE ALWAYS LINKED MADNESS WITH CREATIVITY, BUT NOW THEY HAVE A GENE. THERE IS A SIMILAR LINK WITH DYSLEXIA AND CREATIVITY, I DO BELIEVE,

BUT STILL, IT'S NOT LIKE A DEFINITIVE GENE THAT CAUSES SCHIZOPHRENIA - JUST A GENE THAT LEADS TO A SLIGHTLY INCREASED RISK. LIKE, GOSH, IT IS SO COMPLICATED AND THERE IS SO MUCH THEY DON'T KNOW.

AND THEN THERE IS THE DEFINITION OF CREATIVITY AS HAVING A MIND THAT WORKS IN AN UNUSUAL WAY AND SEES THINGS FROM A DIFFERENT ANGLE - LIKE, THAT'S KIND OF INEVITABLE IF YOU ARE PSYCHOTIC. BUT GOSH - THIS STUFF IS FASCINATING, YO. I WISH THEY KNEW MORE - IT'S FRUSTRATING TO STUDY SOMETHING ABOUT WHICH NOT MUCH IS KNOWN!
0 likes [|reply]
4 Aug 2009, 20:11
bratpunkyg02
Wow I don't want to say she wasn't mentally ill and that is why this was done...but I do know that this is sick either way. I mean there should be laws where people who have these kind of illnesses have to take certain testing and be visited and stuff to make sure they seem stable and are taking their medication. I know she might not be a bad person but anyone who would go to such extremes as to kill ad baby and then rip it open to eat it...I would question if their isn't more there. A person with mental problems should have to meet some kind of test and meet some standard to be able to live with people and children. Obviously the person needs to be taken to a mental facility and treated...but good gosh. I could be wrong by saying there was some way to prevent this, but I just can't believe this just happens one day, you would think you would notice something like this getting worse before something this bad happend.

As far as her punishement I don't know...if she did this due to a mental disability it makes this harder to deal with, as you don't know. I mean I just feel for the baby, the poor sweet child who had to die in such a hideous way.
0 likes [|reply]
4 Aug 2009, 22:03
~RedFraggle~
Schizophrenia isn't a disability. It's a mental illness.

And there's no such test as the ones you describe. There's diagnostic criteria for the disease and there's laws which can force people to take their medication, but it is still a judgement call on the part of the psychiatrist as to if the person is a danger or not. And they can only base that call on what information the person shares with them.
0 likes [|reply]
4 Aug 2009, 22:11
bratpunkyg02
Ok well I wasn't very educated so I know my judgement may have been wrong. However I just read in an article that she had been in and out of a phsych ward and the doctor had not completely claimed her stable, but yet they let her out before she was stable and she was put back into her home with kids, when she could have flippeed out anytime like what happend.
0 likes [|reply]
4 Aug 2009, 22:40
Mamaof3*
Burn in hell woman...plain and simple. When I heard this, I ran to my phone @ work and called to check on my children. It's just sick. I know God says to forgive...but how can you honestly forgive someone like that?
0 likes [|reply]
4 Aug 2009, 23:03
Mary Magdelene
Well, first, it's not your job to forgive her. She didn't wrong you or someone you know. Problem now is all these people judging her so harshly should be asking forgiveness from God for trying to do His job for Him, but chances are none will.

Second, by understanding the issues behind the crime and the fact that the woman has a serious mental condition.
0 likes [|reply]
5 Aug 2009, 00:22
.love.struck.
This whole "I hope god forgives me" is a bunch of crap. How can anyone think by praying that your going to be forgiven? That just seems so hyprocitical to me. If you believed in god before committing a crime then what makes you go out to do horrible things? By saying you believe and then doing horrible things and praying isn't going to help that person. That is how I see it.
0 likes [|reply]
5 Aug 2009, 00:28
Mary Magdelene
Everyone who believes in God does something that needs forgiving every day of their lives. Believing in God doesn't keep you from doing wrong things. You're human. You will do something wrong.That's a fact.

Some of the people in this very thread are passing harsh judgment on this woman, not looking at the bigger picture, wishing harm/death to her, playing God themselves. THAT requires forgiveness TO them. I don't see any of them realizing they need to be asking forgiveness for something they are doing that THEY KNOW is wrong to do.

Also, you are still judging this woman based on what you deem to be normal behavior, even though it has been pointed out many MANY times to you that this woman has a serious mental condition. Until you see beyond that, there is nothing more to be said to you.

And, BTW, if that person sincerely asks forgiveness from God, and I do mean sincerely, they WILL be forgiven by God. Just because YOU don't think it's right doesn't mean it's not going to happen. God's better than you, has more compassion than you, and is the only Person ANYONE has to answer to. NOT you. Thank God.
0 likes [|reply]
5 Aug 2009, 00:43
.love.struck.
You and I see it differently. I still don't think by praying to God is going to help a person for doing horrible acts. I never once wished death or harm to this woman. I said she needs to be punished for her actions like any other criminal. What she did was disgusting and I'm not going to say "Oh, well she wasn't mentally there, she had a condition." No, she knew she needed meds and if she didn't want to take them than somebody should of taken that child away from her. I never once said I had the answers either, do not put words in my mouth. I won't even get into religion with you or anyone else for that matter.
0 likes [|reply]
5 Aug 2009, 00:45
Mary Magdelene
You just don't get it. And you refuse to. The epitome of ignorance.
0 likes [|reply]
5 Aug 2009, 00:49
.love.struck.
You don't get it.

If I had a family member who needed medication and they refused and there was a baby in that house, I would do everything I can to save that child. I would try to make her understand that mediciation is what will save her life. Sorry, but I am not going to sugar coat things how she is innocent and how Jesus himself will come down and forgive her. That is giving her an excuse. Maybe she is somewhat innocent, I'll give that, but at the same time she isn't exactly a saint. More should of been done before all this happened. Everyone had to know she was a ticking time bomb.

Your ignorant.
0 likes [|reply]
5 Aug 2009, 01:02
Mary Magdelene
First, "You're" ignorant. Not "your".

Second, I'd like to know what exactly you think makes me ignorant? At least I know about schizophrenia and the problems that come with it and recognize the issues involved. You, however, are proving that you just don't get it by demanding that she be fully judged for her actions without taking into consideration how schizophrenia works. You prove it every time you comment in this thread.

No one has said she is a saint. No one has said she shouldn't pay for the crime. Just SOME people understand the issues involved better than others and recognize this isn't a black and white situation like you would have it to be, it has all sorts of varying shades of gray.

BTW, Jesus will forgive her. You would know that if you actually read your Bible.

I have nothing more to say to you. You're just going to spew your hatred (which, btw, is a sin you are knowingly committing) and I have no time for people like you.

I just hope you never have to personally deal with a tragedy such as this. Especially as the schizophrenic.
0 likes [|reply]
5 Aug 2009, 01:12
.love.struck.
I'm actually Athesist. I don't need a religion to make me feel better in life. I am a good person, I do good things, and I know when my time comes I will be okay. I been around enough religious hyprocrites to choose my decision to be an Athesist. I'm not saying everyone who is religious is a hyprocrit but most have proven to be and that made me not want religion in my life or to deal with the crazy ones.

Secondly, I find it hilarious when people like you try to sound like your a fucking genius by correcting spelling. I don't really care if my spelling is the wrong spelling, I never claimed to be a English major.
0 likes [|reply]
5 Aug 2009, 01:31
Lauren.
What do you mean by being okay? Don't atheists believe that there is no afterlife?
This thread is locked, unable to reply
Online Friends
Offline Friends