Search
Not Logged In
Your Username:
Your Password:

[ sign up | recover ]

Discussion Forums » Bloop Drama
Please take care on social networking sites!!!!
0 likes [|reply]
17 May 2010, 21:41
Mom♥X's 3
Did she ever answer that??? Id love to see that answer! lmao
0 likes [|reply]
15 May 2010, 14:06
*Forever Changing*
The sad thing is I met my husband on a yahoo chat room and after knowing him two weeks i, at the age of 17, got on a greyhound bus and moved across the country to be with someone I had no clue who he was.

Teens are insanely stupid. The way the brain is wired and works is much different then the way an adults does and teens do not think through their actions.
0 likes [|reply]
15 May 2010, 15:00
Hidden Depths
You need to just remember that you're calling this girl retarded without having any knowledge whatsoever of what she was like. 18 might be the legal age of consent, but logic and rational thinking are not fully developed until you're into your twenties. What were YOU doing when you were 18? What mistakes were YOU making? This was a mistake that she made that ended her life. That doesn't make HER retarded, that just makes YOU lucky that the bad decisions you made didn't end your own life. Judgemental, much?
0 likes [|reply]
15 May 2010, 18:18
♥ jes
I sure as hell wasn't meeting up with people I met online at the age of 18.

She's not retarded, but something clearly isn't right with her way of thinking.
0 likes [|reply]
15 May 2010, 22:37
Chris
That is a huge stretch. I'm not that far away from 18. I'm 20. I didn't know one person at the age of 18, or even 16, who would have been this stupid. This has gone beyond irrational judgments -- it's pretty fair to at LEAST wonder what she was thinking.
0 likes [|reply]
16 May 2010, 03:38
Hidden Depths
I would definitely wonder what she was thinking, but I wouldn't call her a retard. It was a mistake.
0 likes [|reply]
16 May 2010, 14:54
Chris
Wait, I just caught this:

but logic and rational thinking are not fully developed until you're into your twenties.

Do you have proof of this?
0 likes [|reply]
16 May 2010, 15:14
lithium layouts.
Yes, there is proof. xD I really cannot be bothered finding the relevant articles, but I am a pretty reliable source, since my major was neuroscience and I've published in the field, and we've been lectured on it to death.

Basically, the different areas of the brain mature at different rates. The last part to mature is the frontal cortex, which houses things like personality, rationality, decision-making, lateral thinking. This is shown to mature in the early 20s, while the other parts of the brain are matured much earlier (the occipital cortex, in charge of vision, for example, matures within the first 2 years of life). 'Maturation' is defined as the pruning of unnecessary connections, and the fine-tuning of the connections that will remain for the rest of your life. These connections are always prone to slight modifications based on experience, but nothing like the rapid and marked changes observed between the teens and the early 20s.
0 likes [|reply]
16 May 2010, 15:16
lithium layouts.
And this is why teenagers do stupid shit, like ride a skateboard down a playground slide (like my sister did). xD
0 likes [|reply]
16 May 2010, 15:35
lithium layouts.
And (replying to myself again xD) this is why mental disorders like schizophrenia only emerge once a person is in their late teens/early 20s. The frontal lobe is undergoing its final stages of maturation and development at this age, and, during this important time, something must go awry in the brain (stress, virus/infection, some other environmental trigger... they're not entirely sure yet!), causing the disease process of schizophrenia to occur. In the schizophrenic brain, there is marked reduction in markers of frontal lobe 'maturity' (which I won't go into here, but they're quantifiable and detectable cellular measures of maturing/matured connections), as well as a reduction in overall brain volume (particularly in the all-important frontal cortex which is responsible for rational thinking and decision-making).
0 likes [|reply]
16 May 2010, 21:11
~RedFraggle~
How interesting. I didn't know that. Makes sense though.
0 likes [|reply]
17 May 2010, 18:45
xoxo♥
I'm going to stick you in my purse and carry you around LOL kidding! This was so interesting. And made a lot of sense indeed.
0 likes [|reply]
17 May 2010, 21:43
septemberocio
I didn't say this but the way I think now is NOT like I thought at 18, 20, 22... Life changes you, every single day.
0 likes [|reply]
15 May 2010, 15:31
Mom♥X's 3
What kind of people say that someone deserves to die because they met someone offline? How many of you have met with other bloopies? How do you know what they are like just because you read what they post online? Seriously some of you are idiots.
0 likes [|reply]
15 May 2010, 17:10
Acid Fairy
I have never met someone in real life that I met online, and nor do I have any desire to. If I did, it would be in a very open, public space, and it would stay that way until they had built up my trust. It's just common sense.
0 likes [|reply]
15 May 2010, 17:46
~RedFraggle~
Hey, you were going to come to the Bloop meet I tried to organise last year!
0 likes [|reply]
15 May 2010, 18:02
Acid Fairy
Yes, but that would have been lots of people meeting lots of other people we all didn't know. Most of us would have been in the same boat ;)
0 likes [|reply]
15 May 2010, 18:04
~RedFraggle~
I was just pointing out your point that you have no desire to meet people from online was untrue. Or at least it was untrue last year when we were planning the meet. ;)
0 likes [|reply]
15 May 2010, 21:32
Hidden Depths
says you. Could've been like the girl--she thought there'd be more than one person and there wasn't.
0 likes [|reply]
16 May 2010, 03:14
.Blue Bella.
Yes but she didn't know EITHER of them. And camping out in the bush is NOT public.
0 likes [|reply]
15 May 2010, 17:53
~RedFraggle~
I was thinking exactly the same thing. Obviously it was rather silly of this girl to meet this guy she hardly knew, and go off in private with him, but we don't know anything about her. She was 18, and 18 year olds do silly things, but she may also have been very lonely, depressed even, and desperate to be loved. She might even have believed she loved him. Either way, no-one deserves to die for making a stupid mistake as a teenager (we all made them!), and I think it's completely heartless for people to be calling this girl an idiot or implying it was her own fault.

Not to mention her death hurts more than just her, it hurts all of those around her. What did her friends or family do to deserve the pain of this sort of grief?

Honestly, some people are just so cruel.

And as an aside, I've met up with people from Bloop, but only after I've known them many years, and am completely confident they are who they claim to be. And a lot of people these days are doing online dating, so meeting strangers can be safe if done carefully (i.e. meet in a public place, only meet people via websites which ensure people are tracable by credit card details etc).
0 likes [|reply]
15 May 2010, 22:38
Chris
Surely my idiocy kept me from walking into the middle of the woods with people I've never met before. I think I'd rather be an idiot.
0 likes [|reply]
19 Dec 2010, 07:55
SugarNSpice Surveys
I agree with you Mom♥X's3...why should she have deserved to die? She might have made a silly mistake but that doesn't mean she DESERVED to be murdered. good grief. some people on here are so uncaring.
0 likes [|reply]
15 May 2010, 17:27
Mom♥X's 3
Thats just peachy keen for you.
0 likes [|reply]
15 May 2010, 18:26
Greta Garbage
Bloop Community Organizer
Wow, I didn't realize how many callous people there are here on Bloop. Yes, it wasn't a smart decision to meet up with these two guys but she was still a human and any death is tragic. She made mistakes, obviously, as do all of you. Why do you feel its alright for you to judge her without even knowing who she really was? The news doesn't always give you the full picture of a person's character or even the complete story. Grow some hearts! No one deserves to die violently.
This thread is locked, unable to reply
Online Friends
Offline Friends