Your Username:
Your Password:

[ sign up | recover ]

Discussion Forums » General Discussion
President Obama to address the kids in school
0 likes [|reply]
6 Sep 2009, 01:11
Miss
i'm crying my eyes out this very second! i just care SO much about what people on the internet th
0 likes [|reply]
6 Sep 2009, 01:12
Miss
ink of me!
0 likes [|reply]
6 Sep 2009, 01:38
Chris
Hahah, keep replying to the thread then, baby cakes.
0 likes [|reply]
6 Sep 2009, 01:45
Miss
baby cakes sound yummy
0 likes [|reply]
6 Sep 2009, 00:37
Let It Be
I'm certainly not offended lol. Your opinion and replies thereafter came off in a way that you probably didn't intend it to, which is why everyone has had something to say about it. Nobody is making you reply, if you don't have the energy than don't do it (I'm not trying to sound like a mega bitch there, either, defending yourself on bloop can certainly be exhausting)
0 likes [|reply]
6 Sep 2009, 01:10
Miss
i'm just saying that i've been defending myself this whole time and it's like nobody can just accept it! it's like "NO. YOU'RE WRONG. LISTEN TO ME" and they pick at every little thing i've said and it's like, i don't even care about the subject lol. and it's like people stop arguing about the subject and just argue for the sake of arguing. some people can stand to do that, but i can't. if i don't agree with somebody i just leave it alone, because i know i can't say anything to change their mind. but with alot of people on this site they feel it's their responsibility to shove their opinions down somebody's throat if they believe someone else is wrong.

that was long lol. anyways, to everyone on this thread, i didn't intend to start this huge debate and i apologize for all the times i was wrong or rude.
0 likes [|reply]
5 Sep 2009, 22:42
~RedFraggle~
Perhaps no-one found a way of making that connection with your friends, or getting through to them. i would imagine it very much depends on the reason why they've decided to drop out. I don't think you can assume that every single one of the MILLIONS of children/teens in America thinks and responds to exactly the same things, in exactly the same way, as you and your friends do.

Not to mention, if you've already decided you don't like Obama, then it probably won't have any effect on you. But if his speech is heard by a kid who admires him, and what he stands for, then perhaps he could be the one person who CAN get through to that kid. Even if it's just one child, surely it's worth it.
0 likes [|reply]
5 Sep 2009, 22:49
Miss
judgmental much? listen lady, you are implying that i dislike obama. don't.

i guess i missed the part where i said that i assume "every single one of the MILLIONS of children/teens in America thinks and responds to exactly the same things", but thanks for catching that. alot of the time, when a kid drops out, there's NOTHING that anyone can say to change that.

seriously though, all i'm saying is i'm not interested in seeing it and that in my opinion, it won't really change anything. just because i don't think super-obama will be able to keep every child in america in school, doesn't make me a negative person. and it certainly doesn't mean i'm anti-bama. people aren't always going to agree with you.
0 likes [|reply]
5 Sep 2009, 22:53
Mary Magdelene
She is simply stating what you are implying about Obama with your own words: That you don't like him. If you don't want people to make that judgment that you don't like him, perhaps you ought to change your wroding in regards to him.
0 likes [|reply]
5 Sep 2009, 22:56
Miss
right, cause i totally said "i don't like obama" right? no, i didn't. all i ever said in this thread was that i didn't think the lecture would work. that's. all. it's everyone else who's assuming that i don't like him because of it.
0 likes [|reply]
5 Sep 2009, 23:03
~RedFraggle~
right, cause i totally said "i don't like obama" right? no, i didn't

I don't care for Obama

HUGE difference there.
0 likes [|reply]
6 Sep 2009, 00:46
Mary Magdelene
I never said you SAID you didn't like him, but the way you are expressing your opinion implies that you do not like him. You don't have to say it for it to come across.
0 likes [|reply]
5 Sep 2009, 22:59
~RedFraggle~
I did assume that you were not a fan of Obama's, and if that is incorrect i apologise for the assumption. So you are a supporter of his then?

But you're missing the point. I never once claimed that his speech would help "keep every child in america in school". In fact, I quite clearly stated that it likely wouldn't make any difference to many children, but that PERHAPS, to just a few, it would. I'm quite aware that for many children it is true that no-one could make a difference. I never once tried to claim otherwise.

You, on the other hand, quite quickly dismissed the possibility that his speech could help ANYONE. So it is you who is making assumptions about other children, and assuming that because it wouldn't make a difference to you, it wouldn't make a difference to them either. You can't possibly know that. There's every chance that to SOME (NOT every) children it could make a difference.

And for the record, I never said you were a negative person. I never claimed you were anti-Obama, and I never suggested you had to agree with me. So just calm down why don't you?
0 likes [|reply]
5 Sep 2009, 23:04
Miss
i'm going to repost my first post to this thread. and then i'm going to spell it out for you.

they're going to show it to us tuesday. i'm pretty uninterested in seeing it. i don't care for obama and i don't need to be told to stay in school, i'm graduating in january for pete's sake! as if kids are even going to listen to it anyways. "hi kids, school is important. this is why i'm taking time out of your day at school when you could be taking a test or studying to tell you to stay in school. lookitme!"

wow, look at that! i very lightly stated my OPINION. my OPINION may be wrong, but at least i didn't try to claim it as FACT. there is no reason for people to be jumping down my throat about that little post! XD
0 likes [|reply]
5 Sep 2009, 23:07
~RedFraggle~
Umm... why exactly did you repost that? And what is your point?

I was responding to your suggestion that I was claiming that all children would get something out of Obama's speech. Which I never said at all. I just think it's incorrect of you to assume that because YOU don't care, that all other kids won't care either. But hey, just MY OPINION. ;)
0 likes [|reply]
5 Sep 2009, 23:12
Miss
if you're going to jump on me about my opinions, i'm going to defend myself, which is all i've ever done in this thread. i never challenged anyone, i've been defending myself and explaining myself.

nothing you say is going to change how i think or the way i feel. this stupid speech obama's giving is NO BIG DEAL. in yet here you are jumping down my throat about my little post. where i said how i (ME. MYSELF ALONE) felt about it. if you really feel that it's your duty to put me in my place and prove me wrong, (i can picture you replying "I NEVER SAID I WAS TRYING TO PUT YOU IN YOUR PLACE blah blah blah") then i feel sorry for you and i hope you find something better to do with your life.
0 likes [|reply]
5 Sep 2009, 23:24
~RedFraggle~
I'm not trying to change the way you feel (want your cookie now? ;)). I was just pointing out (as others were) that you may not have considered the possibility that while Obama's speech is unimportant to you, it MAY (just MAY) have an effect on other children. That is MY opinion, and I am perfectly entitled to state it. You are perfectly entitled to disagree with that opinion. I was expressing my opinion, just as you were expressing yours. Why is it that you feel that it's OK for you to express your opinion, but if someone else expresses a different one, they must be attacking you? Isn't that double standards?

Other than that, I was simply advising you that if you don't want people to think you don't like Obama (since you seemed rather upset at the assumption), then perhaps staying away from phrases like "I don't care for obama" may be worth consideration. I think that is a perfectly valid piece of advice!

And yes, i have absolutely NOTHING to do with my life... my sole purpose is to live to correct you. :P Get over yourself. It takes me 5 mins before going to bed to type a response to your comment. And I responded because I didn't think you were seeing the big picture. i was expressing my opinion, just as you were.
0 likes [|reply]
5 Sep 2009, 23:25
Miss
hahaha you sure showed me! XD
0 likes [|reply]
5 Sep 2009, 23:28
~RedFraggle~
*Hands Miss a cookie*
0 likes [|reply]
5 Sep 2009, 23:29
Miss
lol i'm a trendsetter!

"want a cookie for your AMAZING accomplishment?

i am always surprised whenever people assume wrongly of me, aren't you?"
0 likes [|reply]
5 Sep 2009, 23:36
~RedFraggle~
Yes. I was mocking you. Clearly that went RIGHT over your head though. :P

And I think after much staring I finally see what you're trying to say... you're trying to ask if I'm surprised when people assume wrongly of you? Although that still doesn't make sense. Why would I care if people assume wrongly of you or not? And what has that got to do with anything anyway? Yes, I think you need to work a little on your English there.

Anyway, this has been fun, but it's late here, so I'm off to bed. Goodnight.
0 likes [|reply]
5 Sep 2009, 23:38
Miss
0 likes [|reply]
6 Sep 2009, 10:35
~RedFraggle~
0 likes [|reply]
5 Sep 2009, 23:01
~RedFraggle~
Actually... I went back and checked what you said...

YOU said i don't care for obama...

So it's hardly surprising that I took that to mean you weren't a fan of his, is it? Since that's pretty much exactly what you said!
0 likes [|reply]
5 Sep 2009, 23:06
Miss
right, i said "i don't care for obama" so? did i say "i don't care ABOUT him"? no, i didn't. i'm apathetic about obama. i have better things to think about than politics, seeing as i can't even vote yet. i didn't care for bush either.
This thread is locked, unable to reply
Online Friends
Offline Friends