Your Username:
Your Password:

[ sign up | recover ]

Discussion Forums » General Discussion
President Obama to address the kids in school
0 likes [|reply]
5 Sep 2009, 22:26
Miss
wow i shouldn't have even replied to you, you're wasting my time. last reply to you, btw.
0 likes [|reply]
5 Sep 2009, 22:27
Chris
k baby cakes.
0 likes [|reply]
5 Sep 2009, 22:38
~RedFraggle~
I believe his point is that there are many many kids less fortunate than you, who have not had people in their lives to encourage them, to inspire them. Many of these kids simply don't listen to their teachers. And perhaps they won't listen to Obama either. But maybe they will. Just maybe something he says will mean something to them, and make them realise that there's options and that they can decide their own destiny by making the right choices. How can that POSSIBLY be a BAD thing?
0 likes [|reply]
5 Sep 2009, 19:36
Chris
It may be a rather foreign concept to you, but consider the kids in poverty around the country who don't have people telling them that school is important.
0 likes [|reply]
5 Sep 2009, 22:39
~RedFraggle~
Lol. I just realised I've repeated exactly what you said there, without realising! Great minds think alike. ;)
0 likes [|reply]
5 Sep 2009, 22:41
Chris
Oh no, if anything you are the other half of the Yin-Yang. I'm snippy and sarcastic!
0 likes [|reply]
5 Sep 2009, 22:44
~RedFraggle~
Haha. Yes, I'm NEVER sarcastic!

(See what I did there. ;))
0 likes [|reply]
5 Sep 2009, 22:45
Chris
Hahahahahah! You're terrible at that! You're such a NICE sarcastic!
0 likes [|reply]
5 Sep 2009, 22:47
~RedFraggle~
Lol. OK. Fair point. ;D
0 likes [|reply]
5 Sep 2009, 21:06
Let It Be
You may be graduating in January, but think of all the kids that are never going to graduate. Even if the message has an influence on only 100 kids, or even 10 kids, than I think it's worth being said again. Not that any of that means that you should have an interest in seeing it, but it seems worth it to broadcast it to students regardless of not everyone being an Obama fan or an at risk student.
0 likes [|reply]
5 Sep 2009, 22:04
Miss
i honestly don't believe it will have any influence. they (teachers, coaches, principals) tell us ALL THE TIME to stay in school, how it's important and will help you in the long run. many of my friends have dropped out and i couldn't even convince them to stay and graduate. if a student's closest friends, teachers and peers can't change their minds, then obama can't either, whether he's president or not.
0 likes [|reply]
5 Sep 2009, 22:10
Let It Be
Think about what AnonymousSource said too though, not everyone has all those influences telling them to stay in school. I'm sure you're right that for the majority of kids it won't matter, but I don't think people need to hate on him for trying (not saying you are, just in general).
0 likes [|reply]
5 Sep 2009, 22:13
Miss
unless kids are illegally not attending school, they have somebody to tell them that education is important. if kids have been ignoring it their whole time spent in school, why would they listen to a few minutes of lecturing about it? it may make a few kids think, but i'm sure it will be easily forgotten.
0 likes [|reply]
5 Sep 2009, 22:52
Mary Magdelene
Because maybe, just MAYBE, they respect Obama more than they respect their teachers. The comments from someone you don't respect aren't going to have any influence on you, but those exact same comments from someone you DO respect will have a much greater influence. Just because YOU don't give a damn doesn't mean someone else won't. Just because it doesn't matter to YOU doesn't mean it won't matter to someone else.
0 likes [|reply]
5 Sep 2009, 22:54
Miss
i never said it wouldn't matter to somebody else. i said, in my opinion, it probably wont change anything.

i love getting jumped on every time somebody disagrees with me! :D
0 likes [|reply]
6 Sep 2009, 00:28
Chris
I love how you think no one is allowed to challenge your opinion. :D
0 likes [|reply]
5 Sep 2009, 23:35
Let It Be
You don't know that for sure. I bet there are TONS of kids in poor quality schools whose teachers don't give a damn if they drop out or not, and their parents may not care either. Especially kids with bad reputations that everyone assumes is going to be a failure anyway, students like that probably don't get any encouragement. Think of a school with tons of over crowding, high drop out rates, and lots of gang involvement. I'm sure tons of kids slip through the cracks and don't ever receive the stay in school speech.
0 likes [|reply]
5 Sep 2009, 23:37
Miss
i can only speak for myself, i can't speak for every other student in the world. and i wasn't trying to speak for every other student.
0 likes [|reply]
5 Sep 2009, 23:47
Let It Be
"unless kids are illegally not attending school, they have somebody to tell them that education is important."

That is kind of is speaking for every other student, isn't it?

I was just sharing the possibility that there are probably A LOT of students who don't have anyone encouraging them to do well or stay in school. It's hard to imagine if you attend a halfway decent school where you DO hear that lecture repeatedly, but a lot of kids aren't nearly that lucky.
0 likes [|reply]
5 Sep 2009, 23:50
Miss
they all have somebody to tell them, but that somebody might not tell them like they should. it's all a play on words.
0 likes [|reply]
6 Sep 2009, 00:06
Let It Be
I wouldn't call it a play on words, you said that everyone has someone to encourage them if they are attending school as they legally should be...you didn't imply that you realized that 'someone' might not actually do it, which is exactly what I was saying in the previous post anyway. So obviously I assumed that you weren't grasping that not EVERY kid is told these things to start with. I gotcha though.
0 likes [|reply]
6 Sep 2009, 00:29
Miss
in the beginning all i was trying to do was give my simple little opinion that doesn't even matter. i really don't understand why people took such offense to it :| i really don't have the energy to keep defending myself all night
0 likes [|reply]
6 Sep 2009, 00:35
Chris
Quit it with the victim complex already. No one was insulted. If you are prepared to have an opinion on a public discussion thread, be prepared to back it up when it WILL be challenged by people who don't agree with you.
0 likes [|reply]
6 Sep 2009, 01:05
Miss
boohoo!
0 likes [|reply]
6 Sep 2009, 01:07
Chris
Haha, wow. Funny coming from you after, "I DON'T KNOW WHY EVERYONE'S ATTACKING ME! :'( "
This thread is locked, unable to reply
Online Friends
Offline Friends