Discussion Forums » In The News
Duggar family: Another baby on the way!
0 likes [|reply]
14 Apr 2009, 06:33
grunge.

By Mike Celizic
TODAYShow.com contributor
updated 5:26 a.m. MT, Mon., April 13, 2009

There’s a new Duggar on the way, but this time it’s not Michelle Duggar adding another to her brood of 18 children. Instead, it’s a grandchild expected by the oldest son and his wife of seven months.

The happy news was broken exclusively on TODAY Monday. Anna Keller Duggar learned she was pregnant on Feb. 2 and is due Oct. 12.

“I am three months right now and feeling great,” Anna told TODAY’s Meredith Vieira Monday. “Morning sickness is pretty much all gone. I’m looking forward to having my baby.”

The couple made their happy news public from the home of Josh Duggar’s parents, Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar. Surrounding them were Josh’s 17 brothers and sisters and his parents.

Anna said that she had taken several pregnancy tests since her marriage to Josh last September. When it came time to take another in early February, she told Vieira, she didn’t want to be disappointed again. She took the test at the used-car dealership she and Josh own and operate, then left it in the bathroom without looking at it. She asked Josh to check it for her.

“Wow! I’m going to be a father,” Josh said, describing his reaction when he saw the positive test.

Instead of telling Anna right away, he told her he’d tell her the results when they got home from work that night. She called her parents in Florida first, and the next day they told his entire family.

“We are so thrilled and so excited for Josh and Anna,” said Michelle Duggar, who held her youngest daughter, 4-month-old Jordyn, on her knee. She said that when she was growing up, she had nieces and nephews her own age, so it wouldn’t be strange to have a grandchild almost the same age as her own child.

All 18 of the Duggar children have names beginning with the letter J, and Josh and Anna are frequently asked if they intend to keep up the same tradition. The other question everyone wants to know the answer to is if they want to have as many children as Josh’s parents.

“We’re pretty sure we’re not going to go with J,” Josh laughed, adding that they’re thinking about using the letter M, in honor of his mother, as a theme letter. As for how many children they’ll have, he said. “We’re leaving that up to God.”

Vieira asked Josh what lessons he’s learned about parenthood from growing up in such a large family.

“In any large family you learn responsibility. You learn it from an early age,” he said.

His father offered another bit of advice: “Teach your children to love the Lord with all their hearts; serve others.”

Chaste courtship
Josh and Anna were married Sept. 26 of last year at the Buford Grove Baptist Church in Hilliard, Fla. The 20-year-olds had met at a home-schooling conference and reported that it was love at first sight.

After a period of supervised courtship, in which they were allowed to hold hands but not to kiss, the couple decided to get married. The Florida church donated its facilities for the wedding, Anna herself made all the dresses for the bridesmaids, and the Duggars piled in the used bus they had purchased from a hockey team to drive from their Arkansas home for the ceremony.

At the wedding, which was later aired on TLC as part of the reality show “17 Kids and Counting,” the couple were allowed to kiss for the first time. After a honeymoon, they settled into their own quarters near Josh’s parents, where he and Anna run a used-car dealership.

Four months before the wedding, Michelle Duggar had revealed to TODAY that she was expecting her 18th baby. After the wedding, the family appeared on TODAY again to reveal that the baby she was carrying was a girl.

On Dec. 22 of last year, just in time for Christmas, Michelle gave birth by Caesarean section to Jordyn-Grace Makiya Duggar. At the same time, the family published their latest book, “The Duggars: 20 And Counting” and updated the name of their TLC show to “Baby Makes 18.”

As many children as God gives
The Duggars are devout Christians who take the Biblical advice to be fruitful and multiply literally. They are part of the QuiverFull movement, which holds that couples should have as many children “as God gives them.”

On their Web page, Josh and Anna write: “We look forward to the blessing of children as stated in the Psalms, ‘Lo, children are an heritage of the Lord: and the fruit of the womb is his reward.’ (Psalms 127:3) Having both been raised in large families, we have agreed to trust God in the area of children and the size of it.”

In January, Josh told People magazine, “I would welcome a big family. My parents have been wonderful examples.”

Anna, who grew up in a family of eight children in Florida, added, “I would love to have as many children as God would bless us with. Growing up in a large family, and Joshua in a mega-family, you learn so much more. I think a large family helps you prepare for life.”

In the People article, the couple confessed that it was difficult adjusting to living in a home with just the two of them.

“Married life has been great,” Joshua said. “It’s definitely quieter than being in a house with so many kids. When I go to the grocery store, it feels strange only having one shopping cart.”

“I don’t know how to do just one or two loads of laundry a week instead of one or two loads a day and I’m having a hard time figuring out how to cook for only two people,” Anna told the magazine.

Meanwhile, as the 42-year-old Michelle Duggar told TODAY last year, she and her husband may not be done having children of their own.

“We would love more,’’ Michelle said. “We really believe that each child is a gift from God. We would love to receive more gifts if the Lord sees fit. I guess we’ll just wait and see.”

While she’s waiting, she can look forward to her first grandchild.

Vieira asked Michelle what words of advice she had for her son and daughter-in-law.

“Just enjoy them because they will grow up really, really fast,” she said.

Visit DuggarFamily.com for more info on the family. Michelle and Jim Bob’s book, “The Duggars: 20 and Counting,” is out now on Howard Books. For more on the Duggars and Josh and Anna’s pregnancy news, watch “18 Kids and Counting” Tuesday, April 14, at 9 p.m. (e/p) on TLC and visit TLC.com.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/30156915/?gt1=43001
0 likes [|reply]
14 Apr 2009, 08:19
The Ryan
"Instead of telling Anna right away, he told her he’d tell her the results when they got home from work that night." What a weird day that must have been: "I know if you're pregnant or not, you don't! I will tell you after work!" But goodluck to them! What I've read of them they seem incredibly sheltered, I hope they'll be able to cope!
0 likes [|reply]
14 Apr 2009, 11:11
& skull.
reminded me of scrubs when turk found out karla was pregnant before she did ;D
0 likes [|reply]
14 Apr 2009, 11:30
Transit
Just like the arranged marriage, wifey is left totally in the dark!
0 likes [|reply]
14 Apr 2009, 11:33
The Ryan
That's what I was thinking. Like, my girlfriend would NOT let me withold such important information from her until we got home from work!! She'd demand to know right away, especially as it is her body and her baby!!! haha. I need to get me one of these submissive chicks. ;D
0 likes [|reply]
14 Apr 2009, 11:41
Transit
Join your local christian society!
0 likes [|reply]
14 Apr 2009, 11:50
The Ryan
I'm not sure we have a local Christian society. This place is Godless! :-o

I do love Christians though. The real ones that always say nice things and are really optimistc about everything, not the shit ones that moan all the time.
0 likes [|reply]
14 Apr 2009, 11:52
Transit
I like our christian society at uni, they give me free food. You could always buy a Thai bride.
0 likes [|reply]
14 Apr 2009, 11:57
The Ryan
There aren't many Christians in Thailand. And I'm not sure it is in God's plan for me to marry a non-Christian woman willing to sell herself on the internet! Gosh Transit, you are making my conversion to a Christian life very hard!!!
0 likes [|reply]
14 Apr 2009, 12:17
Transit
The harder it is the better you appreciate it!
0 likes [|reply]
15 Apr 2009, 05:14
lithium layouts.
I'm Christian and I sure as hell ain't submissive. xD
0 likes [|reply]
16 Apr 2009, 04:16
well.. LOL.. I know most people think we are submissive.. but I look at it as merely this " we, as women, know our roll in life- and understand that the man is supposed to be the spiritual head of the house. We are supposed to obey and honor our husbands- and to work with our hands in our own home."

0 likes [|reply]
14 Apr 2009, 13:31
The Ryan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bk3BwrQKOdU&feature=PlayList&p=D0FB45E8ECC7EDA0&index=2

Watch this, yo! Brilliant! He barely knows her and yet he just proposes, and her family think that's a good thing! hahaha
0 likes [|reply]
14 Apr 2009, 13:41
The Ryan
After just proposing, BEST LINE EVER: "This ring is so beautiful... it reminds me of you!" hahaha. What a smooth dude! Gosh I am laughing out loud!
0 likes [|reply]
18 Apr 2009, 01:22
international
The wife isn't left totally in the dark in all arranged marriages... or maybe that just depends on your idea of what constitutes of an arranged marriage.
0 likes [|reply]
14 Apr 2009, 13:36
Meghans Follie
well.... .. to each their own I suppose. Seems like a very sheltered life, not one I would choose for myself
0 likes [|reply]
14 Apr 2009, 15:54
starsmaycollide
Well no shocker there :-P

I think it's odd how worked up people get about this. It's always sort of amusing. The whole point of their lifestyle is that they couldn't care less what the world thinks. They are very purposely doing things differently. I'm no more annoyed by the Duggars' religious convictions than I am, say, the Amish. (okay, maybe that's an extreme example, but it makes sense to me :-P)
If you want to live your life that way, it's your business.
0 likes [|reply]
14 Apr 2009, 16:11
The Ryan
I'm not sure people are worked up about them, just utterley fascinated!
0 likes [|reply]
14 Apr 2009, 16:12
starsmaycollide
oh, well I just meant in general. on message boards for example, I've seen some nasty stuff said about them, which is just silly. it's pretty obvious they aren't really concerned with people's opinions :-P
0 likes [|reply]
14 Apr 2009, 21:35
T.A.I
[IMG]http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i92/NakatoRPS/vagina_its_not_a_clown_car.jpg[/IMG]
0 likes [|reply]
14 Apr 2009, 21:35
T.A.I
fgsdfg
0 likes [|reply]
15 Apr 2009, 14:55
JellyBean2331
They have the date wrong of when baby number 18 was born. She was born on December 18th. Nothing against the poster as it was c/p.
0 likes [|reply]
15 Apr 2009, 15:25
Aimee ♥
I think that the Duggar family is a wonderful family! I do not believe that it is anybody's buisness about the number of children they have. If they want to have 50 children, they are adults and know what it takes to provide for a child. I also believe that they are doing a wonderful job raising their children.

I'm rather excited for Josh & Anna. :D
0 likes [|reply]
15 Apr 2009, 22:17
*~Loving You~*
just wat we need MORE kids

why would someone want that many kids?! it would drive me instane!
0 likes [|reply]
14 Apr 2009, 06:54
Fiat
I was wondering when this would happen. Good for them!
This thread is locked, unable to reply
Online Friends
Offline Friends