Search
Not Logged In
Your Username:
Your Password:

[ sign up | recover ]

Discussion Forums » In The News
Liberals and atheists are more intelligent.
0 likes [|reply]
11 Mar 2010, 00:50
lithium layouts.
Yeah, that's what I'd call myself. =)
0 likes [|reply]
11 Mar 2010, 16:33
T.A.I
Gosh. Why are those definitions so monotheistically based?

What about the people who might have faith in (or a lack of faith in) several different gods and/or forces overall?
0 likes [|reply]
11 Mar 2010, 16:35
Chris
It's very general. These definitions refer to the broad beliefs. A theist could believe in a god or many gods. I simply said "God" because I'm so used to conversing about the Christian god, and have literally never met anyone who believes in multiple gods.
0 likes [|reply]
11 Mar 2010, 16:44
T.A.I
I wouldn't go so far as to classify myself as being a polytheistic person, but I'm not an atheist either. I'm a strange definition, because I've got some very deep and personal beliefs about life and the universe as a whole, and those beliefs tend to fall under ideas of there being various powers and energies that govern people's lives and the existence of life as a whole.

And at the same time, I'm also of the belief that life really isn't some big miracle. Shit magically became sentient, went multi-cellular, and millions of years later I was produced from a sperm in my Dad's right testicle.
0 likes [|reply]
9 Mar 2010, 08:32
lithium layouts.
I think that there is closedmindedness at both extremes. The fundie closemindedness is pretty self-evident. But there is also the atheist closedmindedness, which is also quite apparent at Bloop. They too are not open to the idea that some people may find happiness and fulfilment in placing their faith in a higher power, just like fundies are not open to the idea that people would NOT be willing to place their faith in a higher power.
0 likes [|reply]
10 Mar 2010, 18:55
xoxo♥
So true indeed.
0 likes [|reply]
13 Mar 2010, 06:21
valerieeeee
I think people can be open to new ideas, in the sense that they can be open to other people having ideas, while still maintaining his or her own faith. As in, I can be strongly Catholic, and still relate and have conversations with my agnostic/atheist friends, and listen to their thoughts on religion. I don't agree with the idea that liberals and atheists are more intelligent as a whole. I think if people allow their religion to interfere with their ability to get education, then definitely. I know several priests who are some of the smartest (book smart) men I know who can have excellent conversations with people who aren't religious at all, and hold their own.

On the other side, my sister is an atheist and extremely liberal, and she is also intelligent, incredibly intelligent. It entirely depends on the person. I do know however, that you can be an atheist and VERY closeminded. My sister is.... she is so against Christianity, that if Mother Teresa came up to her and offered her a soda, she'd probably take it and say, "why does the Catholic church hate gay people? you guys suck," and ignore the act of kindness. (exaggeration, but yeah, do you get my point?)
0 likes [|reply]
11 Mar 2010, 16:28
T.A.I
*their

You have to think of it on a sliding scale. On both extreme ends (liberal atheists on one and end and conservative religious on the other) you're going to find that both are closed off and both have staunch, loud opinions. It's the squeaky wheel that gets the oil, but there's still 3 others on the car.

If the study was truthful and scholarly and academic and accurate in it's research (which some are saying it isn't) and targeted the median of the population, then it's saying that overall, more intellectuals fall on the non-religious side.

If anything, the "intelligent" people I've seen that are religious take the values and beliefs of their religion and make them their own and interpret them in their own way, and the intelligent non-religious seem to be very split between respectful, open minded people and very loud, brash people.
0 likes [|reply]
8 Mar 2010, 19:16
.herby.
everyone takes shit to seriously on here...damn
0 likes [|reply]
8 Mar 2010, 21:12
Estella
Gosh - it's 'too', not 'to', yo! One must take one's grammarz seriously!
0 likes [|reply]
8 Mar 2010, 21:35
.herby.
shut the fuck up...look I spelled that correctly...yeah me.
0 likes [|reply]
8 Mar 2010, 22:13
Estella
Should be a comma between 'look' and 'I', yo! And it should be 'yay', not 'yeah'! Although any form of 'yay me' is rendered redundant if you've got it wrong, yo! So, like, change it to 'nay me'.
0 likes [|reply]
9 Mar 2010, 01:47
[mandie knickers]
Oh, Estella. I've surely missed you. Haha. I never should've wandered away from Bloop, yo. Too enjoyable, indeed. ;D
0 likes [|reply]
9 Mar 2010, 20:41
Estella
Yo Mandie Knickers! You have been a slack Blooper indeed, while I've been here like the faithful cornerstone I am, continuing to conscientiously correct naughty Bloopers who can't spell! I hope you're back for good, yo!
0 likes [|reply]
10 Mar 2010, 00:23
[mandie knickers]
I surely am, my dear. I can't believe that I went so long without being around, yo. But I am here for good, &to cause a ruckus, for sure. ;D
0 likes [|reply]
10 Mar 2010, 18:56
xoxo♥
Who gives a crap Estella? Leave her alone already.
0 likes [|reply]
10 Mar 2010, 18:59
Acid Fairy
I give a crap! *Sniff*
0 likes [|reply]
10 Mar 2010, 19:14
Estella
Oh, like, shut the fuck up! Look, I said the latest catch phrase! Yay me!
0 likes [|reply]
10 Mar 2010, 20:00
Oprah Noodlemantra
You're so trendy, you cornerstone, you!
0 likes [|reply]
16 Mar 2010, 03:21
[mandie knickers]
oh, this just made my whole day.

we should totally spread this like wildfire, yo.

0 likes [|reply]
10 Mar 2010, 21:29
Chris
0 likes [|reply]
8 Mar 2010, 22:52
Oprah Noodlemantra
I'm glad you said that "everyone" takes things too seriously, yo, because you are, too! :D
0 likes [|reply]
9 Mar 2010, 02:39
Chris
"shut the fuck up"

lol. It's like she's new here.
0 likes [|reply]
10 Mar 2010, 00:20
[mandie knickers]
haha
0 likes [|reply]
10 Mar 2010, 03:03
Acid Fairy