Your Username:
Your Password:

[ sign up | recover ]

Discussion Forums » In The News
Atheist billboard taken down after threats
0 likes [|reply]
13 Nov 2009, 22:08
Chris

CINCINNATI -- In the wake of multiple, significant threats, the downtown billboard that says “Don’t Believe In God? You are not alone” came down early Thursday morning.

The billboard had gone up Tuesday afternoon at Reading Road and 12th Street, one block south of Liberty Street and it is being moved to a new site Thursday at the Sixth Street Viaduct.

The group that funded the billboard, the United Coalition of Reason, was contacted by Lamar Advertising of Cincinnati. Lamar reported that the landowner of the site had been threatened over the billboard's message and wanted it taken down.

"We weren't given the landowner's identity or precise details," reported Fred Edwords, national director of the United Coalition of Reason. "Nor did we pursue them. It was sufficient to learn that multiple, significant threats had been received and that Lamar would act quickly to alleviate the problem. Lamar was most apologetic to us regarding the situation. It was a development they hadn't expected. Nor had we. Nothing like this has ever happened to us before."

How Christian. Vicious threats? Discuss.

Link to the story here.
0 likes [|reply]
13 Nov 2009, 22:12
Makayla
That's exactly my thoughts. I am a Christian, but I believe everyone is entitled to their own opinions & it is not my place to judge anyone else on their beliefs. I just think it's ironic that they got THREATS. I mean how Christian of someone to threaten him to take it down. God must be SOOO proud of them! ;D
0 likes [|reply]
13 Nov 2009, 22:26
Acid Fairy
Oh how frickin' retarded.
Atheists have as much right to flaunt their beliefs as people of any religion.
0 likes [|reply]
13 Nov 2009, 23:50
Miss
it's not really flaunting a belief, it's more like flaunting a disbelief
0 likes [|reply]
13 Nov 2009, 23:56
Acid Fairy
Same thing.
0 likes [|reply]
15 Nov 2009, 15:52
Miss
lol no
0 likes [|reply]
15 Nov 2009, 16:19
Acid Fairy
You can't just say 'lol no' with no explanation. What's the difference between a disbelief and a belief? We cannot prove either. Until we can prove which is correct, then both the belief and the disbelief may be valid, and they should be given equal airtime.
0 likes [|reply]
15 Nov 2009, 17:15
Transit
Plus you could say that denying the scientific route is also a disbelief and accepting science is belief.
0 likes [|reply]
15 Nov 2009, 17:54
Acid Fairy
What she said ^^
0 likes [|reply]
16 Nov 2009, 02:50
Miss
saying that you "don't believe in God" is obviously expressing a disbelief. i mean come on, it's not that difficult to understand! p.s. you can't just say "same thing" with no explanation either :o

besides, it doesn't have to be true or false to be a belief. truth has nothing to do with beliefs, only what the believer thinks is true to them. it doesn't only apply to religion either.
0 likes [|reply]
16 Nov 2009, 09:39
Transit
Saying that you don't believe in science is expressing a disbelief as well.
0 likes [|reply]
16 Nov 2009, 20:39
Miss
i don't really see where you got that from but okay...
0 likes [|reply]
16 Nov 2009, 13:46
Acid Fairy
I don't really understand why you have taken issue with what I said. Both religious and atheist billboards should be allowed. Happy?
0 likes [|reply]
16 Nov 2009, 20:38
Miss
i don't have an issue with it, i was just pointing something out.
0 likes [|reply]
16 Nov 2009, 20:44
LittleUn
She just likes to argue for the sake of it. She's a kid, but she obviously knows better than everyone else. She knows better than doctors and educated people and just about everyone. Look at all her other forum posts.
0 likes [|reply]
16 Nov 2009, 20:46
Chris
Hahaha, jesus christ. No mercy there.
0 likes [|reply]
16 Nov 2009, 20:56
Acid Fairy
;D
0 likes [|reply]
16 Nov 2009, 21:01
Miss
so now i'm a "kid" just because i'm a few years younger than alot of the people who post? hahaha anyways, it's flattering how bothered are are by me, a "kid". you don't know me, you don't know what i think or what i am like. if you don't like it, don't read it. suck it bitch and grow up. what loser goes to a person's diary just to see their age and try to insult tham about it?
0 likes [|reply]
16 Nov 2009, 16:22
Chris
lol Semantics. Expressing a belief and not expressing disbelief are the same exact things.
0 likes [|reply]
13 Nov 2009, 23:17
starsmaycollide
How ridiculous....the billboard isn't even saying anything negative about people (Christians or otherwise) who DO believe in a God.

It's such a waste of energy to be bothered by that. Some people believe in a supreme being, some don't. What exactly does this say that is so offensive? :-S
0 likes [|reply]
13 Nov 2009, 23:22
[accepting.change]
It's just one more thing for people to complain about.
0 likes [|reply]
14 Nov 2009, 00:22
DivaAshley
Those people who were threatening them... they weren't true Christians. They may SAY they believe, they may SAY they are Christians, but they certainly do not follow the Word of God, and they are certainly not true Christ serving followers. I truly believe that God gave us ALL free will for a reason. I don't think any true Christian would condone violence and threats.
0 likes [|reply]
14 Nov 2009, 00:25
Chris
Why is true Christianity YOUR version of Christianity? The Crusades were carried out in the name of the Bible, you know. Also, have you SEEN the Old Testament?

I think all major religions are flat out dangerous.
0 likes [|reply]
14 Nov 2009, 00:32
DivaAshley
Yes, well, we learn from the Old Testament. We do not live by it. We live by the New Testament, and the teachings of Christ. Religion can be dangerous... so many people "interpret" the bible to suit their own will. However, no Christian who truly lives by the teachings of Jesus Christ can condone threatening violence to someone with opposite views. Minister to them? Yes, if they are open to it. Threaten them? Absolutely not.
0 likes [|reply]
14 Nov 2009, 00:41
Chris
Do you realize that an interpretation is simply an opinion, like anything is? There isn't a correct interpretation.
This thread is locked, unable to reply
Online Friends
Offline Friends