Your Username:
Your Password:

[ sign up | recover ]

Discussion Forums » Music
Screamo Music.
0 likes [|reply]
28 Oct 2009, 14:19
feisty one.
I am a huge music lover, quite open-minded and I listen to just about anything. I don't much care for religious, opera, bluegrass, "ghetto" rap, or "gothic" rock but some songs from those genres are at least bearable. But there is one thing I don't understand...

My question is: What is up with this new-ish genre called Screamo? Can someone please explain it to me? I just don't see how you can enjoy a song where they are literally screaming/growling into the microphone. Like I said, I try to be open-minded so someone please induldge me on this.
0 likes [|reply]
28 Oct 2009, 15:57
Music God CJ Plain
It really depends on your opinion of music, actually. "Screamo" is just a generic tag that MTV and Record companies have put on bands that don't fit into other metal categories. The actual "Screamo" sound was created in Sweden and Norway by death metal bands like At The Gates, In Flames, Grip Inc, and Kataklysm. It was then taken by American bands that added the "emo" look to it and dumbed it down for the mall metal crowd....which led to it being popular among the Hot Topic kids.

Many of the bands that get placed into the "Screamo" category are not Screamo at all. example...In Flames are NOT Screamo...Avenged Sevenfold are NOT Screamo...August Burns Red IS Screamo. The difference is in the details. You just have to be a fan of the style to know the difference.

It's kind of like knowing the difference between the cooking of Bobby Flay and Rachel Ray....
0 likes [|reply]
28 Oct 2009, 16:01
feisty one.
Thank you for explaining it to me. I understand the origin of it now. However, I still don't get WHY people like it. Why do they like music in which they are being screamed at almost the whole time?
0 likes [|reply]
29 Oct 2009, 01:13
Music God CJ Plain
Not sure why people like screamo to be honest. It's like a watered down, commercialized version of the real thing. It has none of the melody, aggression or pure sonic brutality of the original sound. Very few bands do it well. The majority just sound as inane as they look. And to make it even WORSE...There is a band now named Brokencyde that has started mixing Screamo and Rap. It's SOOOOO bad that I want to drive a spike through my brain just thinking about it.
0 likes [|reply]
29 Oct 2009, 04:07
Jessica [Private]
Because they think it makes them deep. ;D
0 likes [|reply]
28 Oct 2009, 20:28
Acid Fairy
I've never understood it either. I can stand it as long as the melody is good and the screaming is kept to a minimum, like just in the chorus. But all the time and it just gives me a headache.

I also don't understand rap. Talking over a continuous beat that never changes? Ooh wow amazing.
0 likes [|reply]
28 Oct 2009, 20:35
feisty one.
I listen to very little rap. It has to be a really addicting "beat" for me to even pause whilst surfing stations. Some of it is funny but the rest of it (especially the whole "I came from the hood but I now have money and I like to fuck bitches and smoke weed" part) is just plain stupid. We get it, already :)
0 likes [|reply]
28 Oct 2009, 20:47
Acid Fairy
Haha so true!
0 likes [|reply]
29 Oct 2009, 20:33
Let It Be
Not all rap music has a continuous never changing beat. A lot of rap has spectacular catchy beats, and I don't just mean like good to dance to at a club beats. Like good mixes and such, or sometimes if a beat is really good it doesn't need to change much ;). Plus a lot of the appeal of rap (and I'm referring to what I think of as GOOD rap, not newer radio 'fuck bitches and hoes bling bling money money' thug rap) is the way in which words can be put together into a sentence in a way that you'd never think of, plus doing it all with a flow so it doesn't even sound awkward. I don't know that that makes any sense to you, but I thought I'd share a little insight of why I find certain rap appealing. I can understand the dislike for it based on a lot of popular rap/rappers, but I think its a shame because it can be a great type of music too. Certainly not for everyone, but you know.
0 likes [|reply]
29 Oct 2009, 23:23
Acid Fairy
My ex tried to convince me that rap was good, and I have heard non-mainstream stuff, but it's still not my cup of tea at all. I like singing, not talking ;) But, each to their own!
0 likes [|reply]
30 Oct 2009, 12:15
Let It Be
lol yeah I can understand that, like I said, not for everyone! I liked rap when I was young then I HATED it for a long time and got back into it again more recently.
0 likes [|reply]
28 Oct 2009, 20:05
Makayla
I don't understand it either. I had a ringtone one time though that was a screamo version of "lean with it, rock with it" & I liked it because it sounded hilarious! That's about all I can tell ya.
0 likes [|reply]
28 Oct 2009, 20:06
Makayla
And I just noticed I say "though" too much. ;D
0 likes [|reply]
29 Oct 2009, 00:00
Chris
You only said it once in your post! :P
0 likes [|reply]
29 Oct 2009, 02:57
Makayla
Oh I know, but I say/type it all the time. Anywhere it can be inserted I do. After reading some of my other posts on other threads I realize how annoying it sounds. ;D
0 likes [|reply]
28 Oct 2009, 20:36
feisty one.
Ha! I bet that ringtone was funny!
0 likes [|reply]
29 Oct 2009, 04:08
Jessica [Private]
By the Devil Wears Prada, right?

Their Crunk Goes Punk album was hilarious ;D
0 likes [|reply]
30 Oct 2009, 00:36
gravity girl
Punk Goes Crunk*

Ily boo!
0 likes [|reply]
30 Oct 2009, 03:04
Jessica [Private]
I WAS CLOSE.
0 likes [|reply]
29 Oct 2009, 01:29
Chris
I simply can't judge an entire genre of music. In ever genre of music, there is at least ONE song that I like. Even though I've not had this experience with (Scr)emo, I'm sure there's some obscure song floating about out there that I may like.

I've stopped judging genres a long time ago. Not to say it's a bad thing, but you give me any genre, and I'll name a song I enjoy.
0 likes [|reply]
29 Oct 2009, 12:00
Music God CJ Plain
That's a great attitude to have. I am the same way. I love music of every style. I don't even judge on style anymore. I just know that when I hear a song, I will either like it or hate it. And it's weird that I will love a song by one band...and then hate one by another band that sounds almost like them. i.e. I DETEST Nirvana but LOVE Seether. LOL
0 likes [|reply]
29 Oct 2009, 02:33
& skull.
screamo's new? it's been around a few years at least.

i don't judge genres. it's usually style of singing i either like or dislike, or certain singers voices.
0 likes [|reply]
29 Oct 2009, 14:02
feisty one.
I said new-ISH - meaning it has come about in recent years.
0 likes [|reply]
29 Oct 2009, 14:12
& skull.
i don't see anything a few years old as new.
0 likes [|reply]
29 Oct 2009, 14:21
feisty one.
Well, alright then. I do - my opinion.
This thread is locked, unable to reply
Online Friends
Offline Friends