Your Password:

[ sign up | recover ]

Discussion Forums » Thread Graveyard
Page:  1  2 
Glasses in wedding photos
0 likes [|reply]
18 Oct 2009, 22:55
~RedFraggle~
Another diarist here recently wrote an entry about how horrible she finds it to look at wedding photos of women wearing glasses. She wrote that a woman should look beautiful on her wedding day, even if that means walking down the aisle half blind to avoid the possibility of any photos with her glasses on. :P

I commented explaining that some people (like me!) can hardly see anything without glasses or contacts (I personally choose contacts and rarely wear my glasses, but that's just my personal preference), and that I would much rather wear glasses on my wedding day and be able to SEE the look on my husband's face as he waits for me at the end of the aisle. I suggested that possibly her comments were a tad shallow.

So I was blocked (as were several other people who made similar comments disagreeing with her), and apparently she deleted our comments, and then deleted the entry. I felt it was a shame to end the discussion so suddenly, so perhaps it can be continued here...

So your thoughts... does a woman wearing glasses in her wedding photos make her less beautiful? Does it spoil the pictures? Should she walk down the aisle half-blind instead? Go on, lets discuss. ;)
0 likes [|reply]
18 Oct 2009, 23:09
Jessica [Private]
I wear glasses, and I can tell you I'll most definitely be wearing either glasses or contacts on my wedding day. Honestly I'd be leaning more towards glasses anyhow; since I don't want to have to worry about possibly needing eye drops, one falling out, or something like that.
If you have the glasses to fit your face, then you'll look beautiful in them. Just like anything else.

Although, honestly, before or after the ceremony (whenever the photographer takes the majority of the pictures), I'll most likely take my glasses off. Just as a matter of personal preference. I don't like how I look in glasses, haha.
But I wouldn't be able to stand not being able to see my husbands face while I'm walking down the aisle. All the money I'll be paying to get married? I damn well better be able to see the shock on people's faces! ;D
0 likes [|reply]
18 Oct 2009, 23:32
Mary Magdelene
I think when wearing the right glasses for her face, a woman can be extremely beautiful even while wearing glasses. I've worn glasses my entire life. Now that I understand face shapes, I have been able to choose glasses that are actually QUITE flattering, and as cute as I am without glasses, the glasses add a sophisticated beauty (if I do say so myself lol).

Besides, if you can't wear contacts to your wedding, and you shouldn't wear glasses because "it makes you ugly", and you can't see that far without your corrective lenses, then you miss out on all the beauty OF your wedding. The look on the groom's face when he sees you walking down the aisle. The cuteness of the flower girls/ring bearers, how beautifully decorated the place you chose for your ceremony is. You can never get those memories back. And even if you get lots of different pictures taken, it's not the same as seeing them for yourself.
0 likes [|reply]
18 Oct 2009, 23:38
Acid Fairy
I was wondering when this topic would come up! She deleted my comments too hahaha.

I have a glasses fetish. I think they are incredibly sexy (on men lol).

If you are helped out by the sales staff you can get some frames that suit your face shape perfectly. I am with D&A and they are beyond helpful, and I have some sexy frames to show for it! Maybe these girls just had unflattering frames? Whatever the case, it was still a needlessly childish entry.

Power to the glasses wearers!!
0 likes [|reply]
18 Oct 2009, 23:12
-kay
Definitely not! I actually think glasses are incredibly cute. I'm lucky enough to have perfect vision, so I don't need them, but I sometimes wish I did because I think they are so adorable.
And to that woman, why do you care? It isn't your damn day. A bride can look however she wants on her day.
0 likes [|reply]
18 Oct 2009, 23:16
Ariel ♥
So this lady is pretty much saying anyone who wears glasses isn't beautiful. What a crock of crap.
My mom has worn glasses my entire life, and when I was a kid we would get portraits taken together. The photographer would always insist on my mom taking her glasses off, not because she wasn't beautiful with them on, but because it is much harder to take portraits without glare showing up in the glasses with the flash. Understandable, and most certainly unprofessional on the photographers part not taking in the extra challenge (I've done portrait photography myself, it's all about working the subject to avoid the glare) in any case I've NEVER liked pictures with my mom without her glasses on because she simply did not look like herself! My mom without her glasses...isn't my mom. So my opinion on this is you want to look beautiful on your wedding day of course, but also look like your natural self.
My best friend also wears glasses on and off, but she prefers to have glasses on, she thinks she looks prettier with them on because they enhance her eyes and make them look a little bigger than they are, she thinks her eyes are small, lol! So that's another advantage to glasses.
The bride should feel beautiful however she wants to look! :)
0 likes [|reply]
18 Oct 2009, 23:40
Acid Fairy
I get a non-reflective coating put on my glasses so you don't get that glare when taking photos. Costs a bit more but makes such a difference! (Mine gets put on as standard as I have to have my lenses thinned down - they wouldn't fit in frames otherwise lol!)
0 likes [|reply]
18 Oct 2009, 23:42
Acid Fairy
Ooh and glasses are great when you have a spot or something on your face and you want to detract away from it - at least that happens with bold frames like mine - red and black haha.
0 likes [|reply]
18 Oct 2009, 23:52
Estella
They are also brilliant for hiding bags/wrinkles/dark circles under your eyes, yo! Gosh, I have noticed I look older without my glasses! ;D

Although, gosh, on my wedding day I realise that I must put the aesthetic pleasure of my guests before my own comfort, and so I'm going to walk around blind as a bat, bumping into everything and getting bruises, which will look much nicer on my wedding photos than the horrific eyesore of my glasses! ;D
0 likes [|reply]
18 Oct 2009, 23:30
mixie
Ariel touches on something that I didn't see mentioned here or in the comments on the entry (the ones I read before it was deleted, anyway).
Some people are who they are, WITH glasses. Not to say glasses define someone, but certainly if you regularly wear glasses instead of contacts it IS a part of your "look," and your identity! Plus, glasses can be flattering if the wearer knows the right style and shape to accentuate their face.
0 likes [|reply]
18 Oct 2009, 23:44
Fiat
Slightly off topic, but I just thought of something. When I got married, I wore my contacts and did not bring a backup pair of contacts OR my glasses. What if I lost a contact? What if it popped out and I couldn't see anything, one of the most important days of my life? Oh my gosh. I am so glad that didn't happen.

Anyway. Sorry that was just a terrifying thought.
0 likes [|reply]
18 Oct 2009, 23:50
~RedFraggle~
I can actually function pretty well with just one contact lens, if need be. I so rarely wear my glasses that they hurt my head and make me feel dizzy when I do wear them, so even with only one contact, and slightly dodgy 3D vision, I can probably function better than with my glasses! But if I couldn't wear either of them, I'd have to wear my glasses, and I certainly wouldn't want to miss seeing my own wedding day, even if they did make me feel a little dizzy!
0 likes [|reply]
19 Oct 2009, 00:40
starsmaycollide
lol, what a silly thing to be bothered by. Chris is blind without his glasses or contacts. While he now wears contacts regularly, for a long time after we met, he only wore glasses. He just preferred them. That's what he wore on our wedding day, and it certainly didn't affect our pictures. I'm glad he could see me walking towards him. It was kind of important to me that he could see my face while we said our vows. :-P

I wonder if those thoughts only apply to women, or both genders. Anyway, that is pretty dumb.
0 likes [|reply]
19 Oct 2009, 01:16
Estella
Alas, alack, poor Quarky also got blocked, despite the fact that I totally agreed with said Blooper and advocated taking it several steps further, and making people with moles have them removed for wedding pics and fatties having to lose weight and people in wheelchairs having to stand up and hide their wheelchair away! And I think people whose noses exceed a certain length must get nose jobs for their wedding pics, and people with mousy coloured hair must get their hair dyed a vibrant blonde, and people with big ears must tape them to their head. Yes, yo! People must not be ugly on their wedding day! And if they happen to just be naturally ugly, then they must simply not get married in the first place.
0 likes [|reply]
19 Oct 2009, 01:24
Catch May If You Can
oh psh, that is so shallow...

i love my glasses

have been wearing glasses since 7 years old

they are a part of me and who i am

people cant picture me without glasses and say they are so used to them being on, they dont like how i look without them on

i plan to wear my glasses on my wedding day! no doubt about it!

oh, and why don't i wear contacts?

well, i hate the idea of putting something in my eyeball, it is just something i was never able to get past and never will

plus i loose EVERYTHING >_< its easier to keep track of glasses

so, there you go.
0 likes [|reply]
19 Oct 2009, 01:38
Toffee Sprinkles
My mother can't see more than 5 feet in front without corrective lenses; she can't read anything without corrective lenses. She wears glasses 100% of the time because she can't be fitted for soft contact lenses. She tried to have corrective surgery done, but has been turned away countless times because she's not "a good candidate".
She remarried in the Virgin Islands and I was surprised to see her wedding photos because she wasn't wearing her glasses. She thinks she looks much better without her glasses, and while I agree that she was very, very beautiful in the photos, she wasn't able to see a thing. She couldn't see the scenery, she couldn't see the photographer, she couldn't really see the wedding cake or my stepdad, and she couldn't walk more than a few steps without my stepdad holding her hand.
Midway through the photo session, she realized how stupid it was to leave her glasses in the hotel, and to this day, she wishes she had brought them with her because even if she were to have taken them off for the pictures, she still would've been able to put them on and see her actual wedding day.

Honestly, I don't really think it's too big of a deal for a bride to choose not to wear glasses in her photos. After all, they are her photos, and she wants to be happy with them afterward. However, if you're blind without corrective lenses, don't be stupid and sacrifice experiencing your wedding day to the fullest! Have someone hold your glasses. Get a wedding dress with pockets and hold them yourself. Don't sacrifice your safety and try prancing down the aisle completely blind -- then you'll really regret not wearing them.
0 likes [|reply]
19 Oct 2009, 02:36
*~Loving You~*
I didn't wear my glasses 4 the wedding I didn't want glasses glare besides i wanted 2 look different and amazing for my wedding which I did! Ofc I gotten drunk so I had a friend 2 take the contacts out for me at the end! Lol
0 likes [|reply]
*~Loving You~*
But I wasn't drunk drunk just buzzed didn't want 2 accidently poke my eye out
0 likes [|reply]
19 Oct 2009, 10:35
~RedFraggle~
I agree. I so rarely wear my glasses, as I prefer my contacts, that if for some reason I HAD to wear glasses on my wedding day (e.g. if I had an eye infection) I probably would take them off for the official photos where I'm stood still. Not because I'm ugly with my glasses on, but because I so rarely wear them, that they're not ME. But that would be my choice, and I'd be doing it for me, not for anyone else (just as no-one should EXPECT a woman to take her glasses off). And I certainly wouldn't be walking down the aisle without them on.
0 likes [|reply]
19 Oct 2009, 01:43
jodi
wow. glasses are like my ..my..i need them..i look good in them..i could not go without them..they're like a piece of clothing or jewelry to me. i got them to see but they're purple and pretty and they match me. i would wear them. :D
0 likes [|reply]
raen
I don't think there's anything wrong with wearing glasses in a wedding. It doesn't take away from the woman's beauty...and like others have stated here, it can even compliment the woman (or man). I've been wearing glasses since I was fourteen. I don't like wearing them but I'm fairly certain I'd forget I was wearing contacts and completely destroy my eyes. Ick...so I settle with nice frames :)
0 likes [|reply]
19 Oct 2009, 02:41
~*Jodi*~
Each person should choose what she wants to wear in her \pictures on her own wedding day. The problem with what this person wrote was that she personally doesn't like to look at pictures where the bride has on glasses, because the glasses take away from the picture and make the bride look less beautiful. She said that she wants to look at the pictures to see the bride's dress and the scenery and not to see someone wearing glasses. But the pictures aren't her pictures or of her wedding day. If she doesn't want to look at those pictures, then she can simply not look at those pictures. To even form such a strong opinion on that topic seems a little childish [not to mention extremely judgmental]; as if it was insulting to her personally to have to look at someone else wearing glasses on their wedding day. It's almost as if the person was looking for something to be so upset about - perhaps that person doesn't have enough stuff in her own life to deal with so she has to make something up to be upset about. Some people thrive on drama and being upset about something; no matter what it is, they just have to be upset about something all the time.
0 likes [|reply]
19 Oct 2009, 02:52
Opie's Old Lady
First off I have to say I'm rather surprised by the fact that this person who wrote the entry has not come on here to say anything.

Secondly, looks aren't what makes a person beautiful. It's who they are, personality, soul, mind, heart. I knew some "HOT" girls & guys in school, the skinny big breasted girls, the buff tall guys, but they where fugly because they where mean to everyone. Putting people down take make themselves feel better.

My Mom has worn glasses since she was a little girl. She wore her glasses on her wedding days (my mother & biological father got divorced *long story*). She took them off for her pictures because that is what she prefers. For me, it's weird. My mom is not my mom with out her glasses. For someone to say that she or any other person who wears glasses should take them off because they look ugly with them on is pathetic. That person needs to look in the mirror & work on their beauty because all they are doing is making themselves uglier by putting people down for how they look. GAWD I really wish people who thought like that would just bite their tongue & keep such thoughts to themselves.
0 likes [|reply]
19 Oct 2009, 10:37
~RedFraggle~
Yes, I'm slightly disappointed she hasn't come here to discuss it, particularly as she's usually so active in the forums. I mean, given that she feels SO strongly about it, you'd think she'd try and explain her opinion to those of us who can't understand it.
0 likes [|reply]
19 Oct 2009, 19:19
Opie's Old Lady
That's exactly what I've been thinking.

Personally, for me on my wedding day I may wear my glasses even though they are just for reading, driving, & computer. I think I look damn good in them. Plus it's my prerogative & anyone else's who wears glasses to choose to do so. That person may not like it but they need to get over themselves.
This thread is locked, unable to reply
Online Friends
Offline Friends