Your Password:

[ sign up | recover ]

Discussion Forums » In The News
Page:  1  2 
perth hospital patient not fed for 8 days
0 likes [|reply]
22 Aug 2009, 13:22
His♥Sweetness
She wasn't saying she was stupid, she was just identifying that that is often a side effect of ventolin. I've actually experienced it myself on ONE ocassion when I took ventolin when I was younger at other times it just made my heart race. At no time was she saying she was stupid or implicating that she was in any way, she was merely pointing out that it CAN be a side effect. She was giving a doctors point of view. But otherwise I agree hospitals in Australia as a whole are under-staffed and under-funded.
0 likes [|reply]
22 Aug 2009, 22:29
.love.struck.
People who don't have medical training do not know this. The least they could of done was explain to the guy why they weren't feeding him. I think its rude to treat patients like they are idiots just because they aren't doctors. If I was in this man's situation, I would have reacted the same way. If a doctor explained to me why they weren't feeding me, then I wouldn't make a huge deal about it. Doctors and nurses should learn that communication with patients is key. You can't always ignore or not explain a medical situation.
0 likes [|reply]
22 Aug 2009, 23:21
~RedFraggle~
They couldn't explain to the patient. He was in intensive care, in a coma! They didn't treat him like an idiot. He treated him like someone who was unconcious!

You're making a lot of assumptions there. The majority of doctors and nurses who work in intensive care have excellent communication skills because they are very experienced in dealing with family members, and every effort is made to keep the family up to date on what is happening. But there is A LOT going on with a patient in intensive care, it's difficult to explain every little tiny thing... particularly when many families do not have an interest in knowing the details, they just want to know the essentials, know their family member is being taken care of, and if they're going to be OK. If the family doesn't understand something, they should ASK... they shouldn't go running to the media making ridiculous accusations.
0 likes [|reply]
22 Aug 2009, 23:22
~RedFraggle~
Sorry, typo, 'they treated him'... not 'he' treated them. :P
0 likes [|reply]
23 Aug 2009, 00:38
~*Pagan*~
I feel I am fairly qualified to comment on this thread as I am from perth and have expereinced the hospital system there. The medical staff are over worked (as they are anywhere) and theres never enough hours in the day. I have had excellent care and mediocre care but never bad care.

And please open your minds and listen to Red Fraggle. Of any one of you who has posted on this thread including myself, she is the most qualified to explain this stuff. Stop getting your backs up and taking things as personal attacks.
0 likes [|reply]
25 Aug 2009, 06:38
mrs mandy moo
I have read over this thread- and RF is most likely right- Im an Aussie Registered Nurse, and I agree it's unlikely he wouldn't have received any calories despite his NG tube being out, IV fluids can be used short term to keep a patient healthy.
As for not having things explained- people often don't retain information well when they are under stress, I have been in situations where I have discussed things with patients and their families, who don't retain all of the info later.
I, for one stopped beleiving all the info published in papers when I read an article that I was interveiwed for, and present for the other interveiws... it bore very little resemblance to what was said.
0 likes [|reply]
25 Aug 2009, 07:05
& skull.
yeah i've stopped really believing the news too, because they're all about shock and not about proper information.
0 likes [|reply]
25 Aug 2009, 06:52
mrs mandy moo
I meant to say as well- people so often put their own spin on things, and everyone puts their own 2 cents worth in- it can make it really hard to explain to people why something is being done a certain way when they have already decided they don't think it's right.

I also often find the people that complain the loudest have often actually had the better care- while the ones that really have more cause for complaint will so often just tell you that they understand, and you are doing your best.. bless em.

Just try to remember people, just like at your workplace there are things going on within the walls that you arent aware of. A long wait at ED can mean there has been a lot of casualties with life threatening conditions brough in by ambulance.
Being put off for your semi urgent surgery may well mean that someone else is being put back together on the table after a bad accident.
A nurse not coming when you ring your bell is probabaly busy- and even if she is at the desk, she may well be chasing your pathology results, talking to a relative or notifying a doctor about a patient's status.. the list goes on.
We really have to prioritise health care according to urgency of need- and while its frustrating, be assured a lot of thought has gone into what happens when. If it was your loved one about to die, im sure you would expect the same for them.

We are often understaffed in all areas, most of us try our best and I apologise for the rest of us.
Its a tough job.. and if the abuse of staff in hospitals goes on there will be less and less of us.
thanks for listening!
0 likes [|reply]
25 Aug 2009, 09:00
~RedFraggle~
Brilliantly said! It really gets to me when people moan about the time they've had to wait at the hospital, particularly when I used to work on the medical wards, and would spend my night shifts rushed off my feet trying to see and admit all the many patients the emergency department decided to refer to me. Yes, some people did wait several hours before I could see them, but the fact is you have to prioritise, and the sickest people have to be seen first, and sometimes they can take up hours of your time. I would always apologise for taking so long though, and most people were understanding. But after 12 hours on my feet with no break to sit down/eat/drink/pee, it did annoy me when people complained about their wait. I think it's rude to assume that doctors and nurses are being lazy and just making people wait for the fun of it, because that is very rarely the case.

Not that that was really the point of this thread, but since you brought it up... ;)
0 likes [|reply]
25 Aug 2009, 09:10
mrs mandy moo
*bows* thank you, RF. I think it IS exactly the point of the thread... that people simply don't always understand what is actually happening. Same as I don't always understand what happens in other workplaces/ professions that arent MY line of work :)
And erm- didnt you get the 5 litre wee recycling tank fitted? at that rate you should be able to go without a drink or a wee for a week ;)
0 likes [|reply]
25 Aug 2009, 09:17
~RedFraggle~
Lol. I did used to think it was funny that I would worry if my patients hadn't passed 30mls of urine every hour... yet I usually hadn't passed any in 12 hours! Thankfully that was the wards, and what I do now is slightly better, so I usually get a pee break even on night shift!
0 likes [|reply]
25 Aug 2009, 15:48
Meghans Follie
A long wait at ED can mean there has been a lot of casualties with life threatening conditions brough in by ambulance.
Being put off for your semi urgent surgery may well mean that someone else is being put back together on the table after a bad accident.
A nurse not coming when you ring your bell is probabaly busy- and even if she is at the desk, she may well be chasing your pathology results, talking to a relative or notifying a doctor about a patient's status.. the list goes on.

Brilliant Mandy! Well put, I often have to keep reminding Tim of this when we are in the ER or when I am in the hosp
This thread is locked, unable to reply
Online Friends
Offline Friends