Your Username:
Your Password:

[ sign up | recover ]

Discussion Forums » Books
Twilight, Yes Or No?
0 likes [|reply]
20 Aug 2009, 17:48
Estella
I HAVE A THEORY, YO! THE WHOLE EMO LOVE OF OBSESSION (DEMONSTRATED IN THE LOVE OF EDWARD CULLEN AND HIS STRANGE OBSESSIVE WAYS) IS WHY SO MANY PEOPLE LOVE 'HOUSE'. LIKE, IF YOU THINK ABOUT IT, HOUSE IS RUDE AND MOODY, BUT HE TOTALLY WATCHES EVERYONE AND WORKS OUT ALL THEIR INNER SECRETS AND PROBLEMS, AND MAKES THEM TALK ABOUT IT, AND OFFERS A GRUFF 'I'M SORRY' (EVEN THOUGH HE'S MORE CURIOUS THAN SYMPATHETIC). LIKE, THE EMOS WANT TO BE NOTICED, BUT THEY DON'T WANT TO TALK ABOUT IT - THEY WANT THEIR PROBLEMS TO BE EXTRACTED FROM THEIR SILENT SUFFERING SELVES BY A SUPERHUMAN OBSERVER WHO NOTICES EVERY LITTLE MOVE THEY MAKE. HENCE THE POPULARITY OF EDWARD CULLEN AND HOUSE (ALTHOUGH OBVIOUSLY HOUSE IS FAR BETTER WRITTEN, WITH FAR CLEVERER PLOTS, YO! BUT AT THE END OF THE DAY, HE'S STILL AN OBSESSIVE JERK WHOM GIRLIES EVERYWHERE ARE FALLING FOR!).
0 likes [|reply]
20 Aug 2009, 19:21
my favorite axe.
My theory is that there is heroin infused in the pages of the books. How else can you justify not being able to put down a book that is so crappy?
0 likes [|reply]
21 Aug 2009, 05:45
& skull.
haha brilliant theory.
0 likes [|reply]
20 Aug 2009, 17:50
Madeline Rain
Big fat NO! I have to admit I was hooked after the first book, and I read the second and third just to know what happened. But after reading Breaking Dawn and knowing how impossibly lame and contrived the whole story ends, I feel like it’s my duty to warn others not to waste their time.

It is really disturbing to me that so many girls want to be Bella just so they can have their own Edward Cullen fall in love with them. Do they realize Edward is a dead stalker? There’s only so much saving and sweeping you off your feet until it starts becoming creepy. Also, what’s a vampire book without blood? Vegetarians? Give me a break. Seriously, the books are crap.
0 likes [|reply]
20 Aug 2009, 23:33
prettylittlekitty
N.O. I do not plan on reading the books OR seeing the movie. It just looks weird to me. Plus it creeps me out how many people are obsessed with it.
0 likes [|reply]
20 Aug 2009, 23:37
Krisstahღ
never.
0 likes [|reply]
20 Aug 2009, 23:56
Little Miss BlowPop
Loved the books. Thought they were very good for young adult books. Liked the first movie.. WILL Be seeing the second movie. I Loves me some sexy wolf man. I also must say that I dont care for Edward.. In my eyes he was the controlling one, Bella was just DUMB.. Didn't care for her.... And Jacob was the only one worth reading for... and so I must ALSO Say.. I was very upset with the fourth book because Jake got screwed over BIG time in it. Imprinting on Bella and Edwards kid... I mean really. Come ON now.
0 likes [|reply]
21 Aug 2009, 00:02
Little Miss BlowPop
Just thought I would clear something up. stephanie meyer Screwed Jake over in the last book.. Making him Imprint on Nessie.
0 likes [|reply]
21 Aug 2009, 01:49
Blackbird
I have to admit that I love the Twilight series. The movie was okay. I hate Kristin Stewart and Robert Pattinson, I definitely don't see the appeal of them as actors.

That being said, I'm not obsessed by any means and I do agree that the writing was not that great. I definitely don't think Stephanie Meyer knew it would become so popular, which is why the fourth book sucked. She tried to make it a little more 'adult' but she just doesn't have the writing ability. Their nice for a fantastical escape out of the real world, but nothing I'd consider great literature.

I was into vampires and Paranormal Romance way before Stephanie Meyer and can make many good recomendations if anyone is interested. Any of Lynsay Sands' 'Argeneau' series are great, she knows how to write a good book with everything thrown in; romance, humor, sex, fun, and even a little science! Also love Maggie Shayne and Christine Feehan for a little bit of a darker romance/vampire book.

Really, I recommend anything Lynsay Sands has written, she is great.
0 likes [|reply]
21 Aug 2009, 01:50
Blackbird
Wow, I can't believe I did that. They're nice. lol
0 likes [|reply]
21 Aug 2009, 03:20
»Olivia«
100% YESSSSS
0 likes [|reply]
21 Aug 2009, 15:40
RealLifeComics
It's shit.
0 likes [|reply]
21 Aug 2009, 15:43
just samma;
No. I read the entire series while cursing Meyer the entire time.
The movie wasn't quite as bad because you didn't have to deal with the shit writing.
0 likes [|reply]
21 Aug 2009, 15:58
YourFavoriteMistake
No. And I haven't seen the movie or read any of the books.
0 likes [|reply]
21 Aug 2009, 17:21
Makayla
I have read the first one and part of the second one. It's a good easy read, but I don't understand what the big hype is. I read the first one in about 3 days, then got started on the second for about a day, then decided I would put it up for a while. I'm not going to make time to read the second one, I will just pick it back up when I have nothing else to do. It's okay, definitely not great. I define an awesome book as one I can not put down, and I'm hanging on what's going to happen next. Twilight is worth the time to read, but not what people make it out to be.
0 likes [|reply]
22 Aug 2009, 01:10
Ashley Winter
I'm fourteen, and I guess I could be considered in the audience range for this series. I have read them, first objecting to them because I was (and still am) all for Potter, way more. But I did read them.
I'm a writer myself, and I had to say I was very much attached to the books. Not only did I read them in the time of one week all together, but I was in love with Edward.

THAT IS, until I used my intelligence and figured out how unbelievably shitty these books are. Not only is Bella a really bad role model, but Edward is a shiny sparkly queer. Jacob would be my choice, but of course it's not real.
The writing is mediocre, and myself being a teen writer, I can tell Stephenie Meyer is a bad writer. It looks like a fourteen year old wrote, and that's saying something considering my age. I know myself that my writing isn't as written as well as it could be, and her writing lacks any creativity.

Anne Rice's "Interview with a vampire" is better by a landslide. The hype over this series makes me sick, and I'm ashamed to say I was even obsessed with it in the first place.

Harry Potter is better by the MILES.
0 likes [|reply]
22 Aug 2009, 01:39
wugs
I guess I'll finally say how I feel about these books.

I read these books mostly because I noticed that I was bashing the obsessive fanbase without knowing the book. A close friend of mine (she's 100% Team Jacob, btw) talked me into stealing my sister's books to read them, so I did.

As it pertains to literature, I laugh at it nonstop. There is zero substance to this series.
Grammar is sometimes atrocious in these books. I found many commas before because which rarely, if ever, should happen. Also, how many times did she use that large dash (—)? I remember one sentence had FOUR of them.
Writing style in general, terrible. Bad character development, no plot, etc.

The best "book" in the series, by far, is Midnight Sun, which isn't out nor will it likely be finished (*cough*becausemeyerisawhineyemo*cough*). Though the writing and grammar doesn't improve too much, at least there is some sense of conflict. He is extremely attracted physically, mentally, and emotionally to a girl outside of his species who he constantly is in danger of killing. It isn't exactly written in an exciting way IMO, but it is much better than Bella's Boring Nonadventure in Twilight.
"OMG I TOTES LYK DIS BOI BUT HE NO LIKEY MEEEEE *sobsobsob* WTF? HE A VAMP? I STILL WANT."
I mean..., really? ;D

Basically, I think it was written from Edward's POV first with a ton of plotholes on the other side, and then Meyer switched to Bella's POV for some reason. That's why Bella is perhaps the worst character ever. She doesn't seem fully thought-out before Twilight was written, even if Meyer had the whole story in mind at the time.

PS: Those bashing the sparkly vamps-- I do commend Meyer on making up some of her own myth to go with the vampires. Even if it is all totally ridiculous. ;D
0 likes [|reply]
22 Aug 2009, 12:10
Estella
BUT, LIKE, WERE ANY OF THE CHARACTERS FULLY THOUGHT-OUT BEFORE TWILIGHT WAS WRITTEN? DO ANY OF THE BOOKS DISPLAY ANY EVIDENCE OF THOUGHT?
0 likes [|reply]
22 Aug 2009, 15:59
wugs
Erm...probably not. She says herself that Rosalie was an empty character for a while before she "found out" she despised Bella.

Maybe Edward was a wee bit thought out. Like, I suppose she knew he'd be a vampire or something...
0 likes [|reply]
22 Aug 2009, 06:54
trying4miracle#1
It took me a little bit to get into the book but once I did I loved it
This thread is locked, unable to reply
Online Friends
Offline Friends