Your Username:
Your Password:

[ sign up | recover ]

Discussion Forums » Books
Twilight, Yes Or No?
0 likes [|reply]
20 Aug 2009, 08:39
Acid Fairy
I love how everyone hates these stories.

Gosh, did no one else read Sweet Valley High when they were kids? Now THAT was bad writing!

Most people have a problem with Meyer's writing style because she focuses more on dialogue and less on plot. Personally, I don't think that's a bad thing. A lot of people also said she puts needless little story fillers in there but heck; I re-read the Deathly Hallows the other day and even Rowling tends to do that... how long did they stay in that god-forsaken tent, waiting for Ron to come back?

Now, I used to work in Waterstone's and I used to class myself all high and mighty because I didn't read chick-lit any more. I used to think it made me more intelligent. But I have plenty of smart friends who read trashy shit. Because sometimes, you work so damn hard on your university work that you need a mindless break.
And I think that's the problem with many of the Twilight haters (not necessarily anyone on here). They view themselves as better than that 'trash'. It's along the same wavelengths as those adults who refuse to read Harry Potter... just because they're adults. I have read plenty of newspaper columns where the journalist bashes adult Harry Potter readers, and it just makes me think what an idiot. Too close minded to read it; never having never picked the book in their life, and they feel they are justified in condemning it.

And everyone has a problem with the characters. I don't get why. The only person I have a problem with is Kristen Stewart because she's all wrong, and she needs to stop that ridiculous sighing.
0 likes [|reply]
20 Aug 2009, 08:45
Acid Fairy
That should read:
Too close minded to read it; never having picked up the book in their life, and they feel they are justified in condemning it.
0 likes [|reply]
20 Aug 2009, 08:48
.Blue Bella.
Oh and I made sure I read all of them before forming an opinion!!!
0 likes [|reply]
20 Aug 2009, 09:00
Acid Fairy
Well then you are allowed to have your opinion ;)
0 likes [|reply]
20 Aug 2009, 08:47
.Blue Bella.
No body asked about Sweet Valley High... if they had, then you'd probably find the same response :P

You're right about Kristen Stewart. The main problem with that movie was her shithouse acting!
0 likes [|reply]
20 Aug 2009, 09:45
& skull.
goosebumps, sweet valley high, and harry potter weren't terribly well written either, but my problem with twilight is that the message it sends out isn't something i'd want any kids i had to absorb. i'm all for reading and i'm glad that it at least has gotten kids interested in books again, but i just don't agree with it.

harry potter drives me insane with the needless details. i stopped reading it because of it. the movies do a good job of cutting out all the unnecessary bits ;D
0 likes [|reply]
20 Aug 2009, 09:48
Acid Fairy
But is it really a book's job to send out a message? That's like saying all books should have a moral code within them which frankly is never going to happen! I mean god, could you imagine it if every book you read had some hidden message for how you should live your life?! Ugh no thank you.

And noooo the HP movies cut WAY too much stuff out! I don't know how anyone can watch them without having read the books and still understand what's going on!
0 likes [|reply]
20 Aug 2009, 09:58
& skull.
it isn't it's job, no, but they do send out messages whether the author's mean to or not. i think they should at least try to keep it in mind what their target audience could take away from what they're written. especially now given the scary level of obsession twilight's brought about.

i understand the movie's without having read the books. i'm sure i'd probably understand more if i could be bothered to trawl through everything rowling's written, but she just puts so much stuff in that i don't find necessary. my dad and i were both skipping pages at one point waiting for her to stop nattering on about useless stuff to find the plot!
0 likes [|reply]
20 Aug 2009, 17:31
Estella
THE DIALOGUE REASON IS NOT MINE, YO. THERE HAVE BEEN SOME JOLLY BRILLIANT BOOKS WRITTEN THAT FOCUS MORE ON DIALOGUE. AND OF COURSE PLAYS (INCLUDING SHAKESPEARE) ARE ENTIRELY DIALOGUE! SO DISLIKING DIALOGUE FOCUSED BOOKS IS DAFT! I JUST FIND TWILIGHT INCREDIBLY SILLY AND CORNY AND ... GOSH, HOW TO DESCRIBE IT. IT TOTALLY MAKES ME LAUGH! BELLA IS AWFUL, YO! LIKE, SERIOUSLY, DOES A FEISTY LASSIE LIKE YOURSELF REALLY LIKE THE APATHETIC WHINY BELLA, WHOSE ONLY IDENTITY LIES IN A SADDO VEGETARIAN VAMPIRE WHO SNEAKS INTO HER HOUSE AT NIGHT TO WATCH HER SLEEP?

AND YES, YO - I TOTALLY USED TO LAUGH AT SWEET VALLEY HIGH FOR SIMILAR REASONS WHEN I WAS A TEENAGER! ;D BUT OF COURSE PEOPLE TOTALLY HAVE TO READ A BOOK BEFORE CONDEMNING IT! LIKE, I READ TWILIGHT PURELY SO THAT I COULD LAUGH AT IT (ALTHOUGH I KEPT AN OPEN MIND TO THE FACT THAT I MIGHT END UP LOVING IT! ;D BUT ALAS, THAT NEVER HAPPENED!). HOWEVER, I HAVE ONLY READ THE FIRST BOOK IN THE SERIES. I MIGHT END UP READING MORE, YO!
0 likes [|reply]
20 Aug 2009, 17:35
Transit
Educating Rita!
0 likes [|reply]
20 Aug 2009, 17:41
Estella
OH, YES, YO - THAT IS A GREAT PLAY, MADE INTO A GREAT MOVIE! I DO LOVE JULIE WALTERS - SHE IS QUITE BRILLIANT!
0 likes [|reply]
20 Aug 2009, 17:46
starsmaycollide
I don't think there is anything wrong with fun reading material, but even easy, fun reads can be well done.
It boggles my mind that Meyer is this phenomenon when she isn't even talented or original. It's sort of like watching a bad reality TV show. You know it's crap and yet people love it and get paid for it...but that doesn't make it worthy of millions watching. It just means it's popular, but popular doesn't mean it's actually good.
0 likes [|reply]
20 Aug 2009, 21:30
~RedFraggle~
Kristen Stewart is surely on drugs... did you see her at the MTV Movie Awards? *Cringe*

And I AM better than that trash. ;) Nothing wrong with Harry Potter though.

The books are probably no worse than Sweet Valley High, but no-one was trying to claim that they were good literature! And adults didn't read them, only the teenagers they were aimed at.
0 likes [|reply]
21 Aug 2009, 17:31
Makayla
She is on drugs. Unless that is tobacco she was smoking in that pipe. Which I hardly believe anyone besides an old truck driver smokes tobacco out of a pipe in these days. Here is a youtube video of her puffin on a pipe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WK9HZ9QZS24
0 likes [|reply]
20 Aug 2009, 22:03
Chris
There wasn't nearly a big a following for Sweet Valley High as there is for Twilight, and that is due directly to the intelligence of the teenage girl population right now.

I have a problem with the Twilight books not because I feel I am better than them, but because it sends out a terrible message to teenage girls who think they should be treated how Edward treats Bella. It's disgusting. Bella is an object. Edward is possessive and creepy. No one seems to notice the blatant manipulation of other characters, for example Bella's treatment of Jacob when it comes to choosing between the werewolf and the vampire.
0 likes [|reply]
20 Aug 2009, 11:05
Transit
Twilight is rubbish! Some of the grammar is even worse than mine! I even think it is worse than Harry Potter, nothing happens in Harry Potter but at least the characters have a better purpose than, I want to shag him sooooo much. Jacqueline Wilson books are more mentally stimulating!
0 likes [|reply]
20 Aug 2009, 13:37
Estella
HA - JACQUELINE WILSON IS PRETTY COOL, YO! I LIKE HER BOOKS! AIMED AT A YOUNGER AUDIENCE, BUT FAR MORE DEPTH AND TALENT THAN THE TWILIGHT BOOKS! WRITING SKILFULLY FOR CHILDREN IS QUITE AN ART, YO!
0 likes [|reply]
20 Aug 2009, 21:31
~RedFraggle~
My cousin loves the Jacqueline Wilson books.
0 likes [|reply]
20 Aug 2009, 11:31
sumamen
Well, this old lady loved the books and the movie! haha!
0 likes [|reply]
20 Aug 2009, 15:44
i`m his lil bearrr.
I'll start out by saying I haven't read them. I do object to them, merely on principle since I have read other vampire novels, and everything about these ones irks me.

Then, I read this blog, and started to really think about the story, and I have to say that I agree. I don't plan on ever reading the series. I don't like the messages that it portrays, especially to tween girls.
0 likes [|reply]
20 Aug 2009, 17:35
valerieeeee
wow, that blog is brilliant. and i agree with EVERYTHING she said. i've read the series, just to see for myself, and she took the words right out of my mouth.
0 likes [|reply]
20 Aug 2009, 19:20
my favorite axe.
Haha, the blog is absolutely correct.

Have you read some of the comments?

If you do not like them just don’t read them.
If I don't read them, how will I know I don't like them?

And what's with all the fans getting offended by those of us who hate the books? It's not like I'm saying everyone who likes the books is a stupid or anything. I'm just saying I don't like something you like. I'm sure there's a plenty of stuff that I like and you hate. Big deal.
0 likes [|reply]
20 Aug 2009, 21:34
~RedFraggle~
I agree completely. It's hard to believe that in this day and age teenage girls are being encouraged to give up their life at the age of 17 for a controlling relationship with a boy. It's a terrible message to send out.
0 likes [|reply]
20 Aug 2009, 21:57
Estella
AND NOT JUST A BOY, YO. A VERITABLE VEGETARIAN VAMPIRE WHO WILL DRIVE HIS FANGZ INTO THEIR NECKS AND SUCK ALL THEIR BLOOD OUT!
0 likes [|reply]
21 Aug 2009, 00:27
serendipity.
Read the blog, thought it was amazing. However, it doesn't make me more concerned to know that young girls (like my boyfriend's 14-year-old sister) are reading these books and thinking that it's romantic. What's going to happen when she starts dating? What will she think is a good boyfriend? It worries me.
This thread is locked, unable to reply
Online Friends
Offline Friends