Your Password:

[ sign up | recover ]

Discussion Forums » In The News
Page:  1 
Father convicted of reckless murder. Holy god, n
0 likes [|reply]
2 Aug 2009, 20:26
Chris
I'm sure this has been posted before, but I can't be bothered to look through 6 pages of "MOMMY KILLED KID" to look for it.

Associated Press:

WAUSAU, Wis. - A central Wisconsin man accused of killing his 11-year-old daughter by praying instead of seeking medical care was found guilty Saturday of second-degree reckless homicide.

Dale Neumann, 47, was convicted in the March 23, 2008, death of his daughter, Madeline, from undiagnosed diabetes. Prosecutors contended he should have rushed the girl to a hospital because she couldn't walk, talk, eat or drink. Instead, Madeline died on the floor of the family's rural Weston home as people surrounded her and prayed. Someone called 911 when she stopped breathing.

Sitting straight in his chair, Neumann stared at the jury as the verdict in a nearly empty courtroom was read. He declined comment as he left the courthouse.

Leilani Neumann, 41, was convicted on the same charge in the spring. Marathon County Circuit Judge Vincent Howard set Oct. 6 for sentencing for both parents, who face up to 25 years in prison.

Their case is believed to be the first in Wisconsin involving faith healing in which someone died and another person was charged with a homicide.

Christ Almighty (no pun intended). There's no words. D: D: D: D:
0 likes [|reply]
2 Aug 2009, 20:43
Acid Fairy
I read this earlier. It's sad, very sad, but the 25 years is over the top. He just needs educating.
0 likes [|reply]
2 Aug 2009, 21:11
~RedFraggle~
I agree. They should be punished, but 25 years seems a bit much for what was basically due to a lack of education.
0 likes [|reply]
2 Aug 2009, 22:43
Jessica [Private]
I remember something happening like this before, it was pretty sad :(

It pisses me off that he lives in my state :|
0 likes [|reply]
3 Aug 2009, 14:33
Wisconsin Mom
this happened about an hour north of where i live and its always on the news. i understand what they did was wrong but i think 25 years is a little harsh. I think what they need is education and parenting classes/counseling along with some jail sentencing
0 likes [|reply]
2 Aug 2009, 20:56
Estella
WHAT ABOUT THE WHOLE BLOOD TRANSFUSION THING. ARE PEOPLE STILL ALLOWED TO REFUSE THEIR KIDS BLOOD TRANSFUSIONS FOR RELIGIOUS REASONS?
0 likes [|reply]
2 Aug 2009, 21:10
~RedFraggle~
In the UK if a parent refuses to allow their child a blood transfusion the hospital can go to a court and get permission. But in an emergency the hospital legally can go ahead and give the transfusion, if it is in the best interest of the child, even if the parent doesn't consent (if there isn't time for a court order).

I needed to learn this stuff for my anaesthetic exams. ;)
0 likes [|reply]
2 Aug 2009, 22:14
Acid Fairy
That's good. I think refusing blood transfusions is ridiculous anyway, but denying your child one who doesn't have a say; stupid!
0 likes [|reply]
3 Aug 2009, 00:01
Lauren.
Is what the hospital gets from court sort of like a medical power of attorney? My hospital is so small that I've never had to deal with seeing if any of our patients have gone through something like this. I'm sure theres a fine line when it comes to parents choices and the care of children. I wonder if they can do the same in the US...
0 likes [|reply]
2 Aug 2009, 21:00
Azkabound
I think I remember hearing about cases like these. There's a certain point where you go "Okay, so maybe we can relocate our prayer group to a HOSPITAL." I feel sorry for everyone involved in this case though. :/
0 likes [|reply]
3 Aug 2009, 00:59
.like.a.drug.
This happened a few years ago, too. Except in that case, the parents knew that their child had diabetes, and decided that "The Lord will cure it". I know exactly what that little girl went through (being a juvenile diabetic myself) and I think 25 years is not long enough. I'm all for having faith. I think faith is great. But when your child has an incurable disease that is moderately easy to manage, why why why?!
0 likes [|reply]
3 Aug 2009, 07:06
Laurarose
hmm... so they prayed and prayed... and when she stopped breathing they called for medical help. Why? surely if they're leaving it in gods hands and god decides she should die shouldn't they accept that?
i hate hearing things like this. yes, let the child suffer by praying to god and getting her no medical help and then running to the doctors the moment she cant be saved.

0 likes [|reply]
3 Aug 2009, 07:51
& skull.
i do not understand people like that. if you believe that god stuck us here, and then how hard is it to believe that he gave humans the creativity and intelligence to come up with ways of healing ourselves etc? does it say somewhere in the bible that medical knowledge should be ignored? i'm all for prayer and positive thinking, but that alone hasn't cured anything.
This thread is locked, unable to reply
Online Friends
Offline Friends