Your Username:
Your Password:

[ sign up | recover ]

Discussion Forums » In The News
Baby girl with two heads born in Philippines
0 likes [|reply]
30 Jul 2009, 06:36
melodye
Should they do everything medically possible to save her life or let her die naturally? I mean, come on! Its a 2 headed person. Even in the article they call the baby "her" and refer to her as "the" baby.

What do you think?

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,25852522-23109,00.html

DOCTORS at a Philippine hospital are trying to save a baby girl born with two heads.

The baby was born late on Tuesday and is now under observation at the neo-natal intensive care unit of the Jose Fabella Memorial Hospital in Manila.

A hospital spokeswoman said the baby was stable at the moment, but said she may die if tests proved both heads shared only one set of vital organs.

"The rate of survival will depend on the shared organ. If they only have one heart, they will not survive," the unidentified spokeswoman told local radio.

Reports said the father Salvador Arganda was a tricycle driver. He and his wife, Chateria, already have five other children and there was no known history of twins in the family.

Officials at the hospital said the extra head appeared to be a twin of the girl who failed to fully separate during the development stage in early pregnancy.

"This is the first case of its kind here in the hospital," a doctor said.

0 likes [|reply]
30 Jul 2009, 11:46
Acid Fairy
Aren't there already twins in the US who are like 17ish who share one body?

There was a program on Channel 4 over here a while back about a little girl born with two heads (or twins born with one body... whichever!) but she died.

If they can help her, then why not? She is effectively a conjoined twin, and conjoined twins can lead pretty normal lives - if only with one body.
0 likes [|reply]
30 Jul 2009, 12:17
Beautiful Lies
Yea, there are conjoined twins who share one body that live in the US who are teenagers. I'm pretty sure they both have their own separate organs, like hearts and lungs...They just share like a liver or something like that? But they have two of everything else.

Like the article said, if they're conjoined twins and they have their own separate organ systems then the chances of the children surviving is significantly better. But if that girl only has one heart...chances are probably slim.
0 likes [|reply]
30 Jul 2009, 12:44
melodye
I've seen a couple of doco's about those twins.

I see them a little differently to the baby that was recently born. They don't know yet if there are 2 lots of organs. If there are not then its a 2 headed baby.

The article was very vague. I don't even know if the second head is functioning.
0 likes [|reply]
30 Jul 2009, 12:27
melodye
Aren't there already twins in the US who are like 17ish who share one body?

No, they are joined at the abdomen/chest and have seperate upper bodies. They are not one body with 2 heads.
0 likes [|reply]
30 Jul 2009, 12:35
Acid Fairy

They don't look like they have separate upper bodies to me.
0 likes [|reply]
30 Jul 2009, 12:45
melodye
They do. Internally of course. And they were born with 2 arms each.
0 likes [|reply]
30 Jul 2009, 21:55
Lauren.
Actually they each have ONE arm:
0 likes [|reply]
30 Jul 2009, 21:56
Lauren.
And just because this shows their organs:
0 likes [|reply]
30 Jul 2009, 22:41
Beautiful Lies
yay, you did all the work for me. lol, thanks for posting that my dear!
0 likes [|reply]
30 Jul 2009, 22:43
melodye
Exactly. Seperate upper bodies. Not one body with 2 heads.
0 likes [|reply]
30 Jul 2009, 22:46
Lauren.
Well they only have one ribcage, two breasts, fused sternums.. that isn't two upper bodies physically, although internally you're correct.
0 likes [|reply]
30 Jul 2009, 22:58
melodye
I know I'm correct. But thanks. This thread is getting way off track.
0 likes [|reply]
30 Jul 2009, 23:00
Lauren.
Your saying they've got two separate upper bodies for someone that hasn't seen them makes it seem like they're only joined at the legs and their upper bodies are, well, separate. That isn't the case. I was simply posting that for others who DON'T know the story of those twins and would ALSO visualize what I did.

And you're welcome.
0 likes [|reply]
31 Jul 2009, 00:38
melodye
"I was simply posting that for others who DON'T know the story of those twins and would ALSO visualize what I did"

Ah ok. Cool.
0 likes [|reply]
31 Jul 2009, 01:24
Acid Surveys
Wow you're a bit rude, and kind of up yourself. Never an attractive quality.
0 likes [|reply]
31 Jul 2009, 01:32
melodye
Why do you think I give a sh*t about your opinion of me?
0 likes [|reply]
30 Jul 2009, 22:42
melodye
Yeah now they do. One was removed at birth.
0 likes [|reply]
30 Jul 2009, 22:44
Lauren.
Yes, one arm was removed at birth.. a third arm that was useless and neither could operate. I don't think that means they had two arms each!
0 likes [|reply]
30 Jul 2009, 23:03
melodye
Yeah you're right. Only a third arm was removed at birth. But my point was they have 2 upper bodies. They are not a 2 headed person. I didn't start this thread to discuss them anyway. I'm guessing no-one wants to give their honest opinion on the original topic.
0 likes [|reply]
2 Aug 2009, 02:02
grunge.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abigail_and_Brittany_Hensel

They're from Minnesota
0 likes [|reply]
2 Aug 2009, 10:26
The Ryan
I saw that, yo! The twins with one body! And they learned to drive and had to take two driving tests!
0 likes [|reply]
30 Jul 2009, 23:12
Miss
it's rude to say it's a baby with two heads, they're conjoined twins. calling them a baby with two heads makes them sound like a carnival attraction.
0 likes [|reply]
31 Jul 2009, 01:08
melodye
"it's rude to say it's a baby with two heads, they're conjoined twins."

This is my point entirely. The teenage girls are conjoined twins. The baby born in the phillipines, if they have only one set of organs etc IS a baby with 2 heads.

And if, in fact it IS one body with 2 heads my question is, should it be saved or should nature be allowed to take its course? no-one seems capable of addressing that point.
0 likes [|reply]
31 Jul 2009, 01:22
Acid Surveys
I addressed the point!
This thread is locked, unable to reply
Online Friends
Offline Friends