Your Username:
Your Password:

[ sign up | recover ]

Discussion Forums » General Discussion
Pronunciations
0 likes [|reply]
28 Jul 2009, 02:15
wugs
Is this on Merriam-Webster? I say skwer-uhl, but I don't know if that's really two syllables. When I say it, it almost sounds like one and a half. ;D
0 likes [|reply]
28 Jul 2009, 05:27
Estella
ACTUALLY, YES, YO, IN THE WRITTEN IPA PRONUNCIATION GUIDE - I JUST CHECKED. WELL IT DOES HAVE THE FINAL VOWEL SOUND, BUT IT PUTS IT IN BRACKETS TO SHOW THAT IT'S OPTIONAL. SEE, IN ENGLISH ENGLISH, IT'S TOTALLY TWO SYLLABLES - SKWI-RUL (SAME VOWEL SOUNDS AND STRESS AS 'SKITTLE'. BUT BECAUSE YOU GUYS DO FUNNY R'S IT ALWAYS SOUNDS LIKE SQUIRL WHEN YOU SAY IT. I THINK BECAUSE YOU DO BOTH VOWEL AS THE SAME UNSTRESSED VOWEL SOUND, WHEREAS WE ENGLISH HAVE A DEFINITE 'I' FOR THE FIRST VOWEL - SEE THEY ALSO PUT IN THE BRITISH PRONUNCIATION! LIKE, YOU GUYS CHANGE THE VOWEL SOUND WHEN FOLLOWED BY ANY R, BUT WE ONLY DO THAT FOR SILENT R'S, YO. YOU SAY 'CARE-EE-ER BAG' FOR CARRIER BAG, BUT WE SAY 'CA-REE-UH BAG' - LIKE THE SAME 'CA' WE'D USE IN 'CAT'.
0 likes [|reply]
28 Jul 2009, 06:14
wugs
Ah, okay. I do realize now that I think about it that it is generally one syllable here.

Also, I actually wasn't sure what a carrier bag was! ;D But yes, that's how we pronounce it.
0 likes [|reply]
28 Jul 2009, 06:34
Estella
CARRIER BAG IS WHAT THEY GIVE YOU IN GROCERY STORES TO PUT YOUR GROCERIES IN. A BAG THAT YOU CARRY - HENCE A CARRIER BAG! ;D PROBABLY WOULD HAVE BEEN SIMPLER IF I'D GIVEN THE WORD 'CARRY' AS AN EXAMPLE! ;D
0 likes [|reply]
28 Jul 2009, 10:07
Jessica [Private]
Pfft. Grocery Bag! ;)
0 likes [|reply]
27 Jul 2009, 22:58
~RedFraggle~
I remember when I was working in New Zealand I met a Kiwi girl who had been working in the UK the previous year. She said people couldn't understand what she was talking about when she asked them for a 'pin'. She meant 'pen', but apparently Kiwis don't emphasis the 'eh' so it sounds like 'ih' instead!
0 likes [|reply]
28 Jul 2009, 00:14
Estella
SOME SCOTS DO THIS THE OTHER WAY AROUND, YO! THEY SAY 'E' FOR 'I' - SO 'BEG' FOR 'BIG'.
0 likes [|reply]
27 Jul 2009, 23:08
Estella
ALAS, WHEN I WAS IN CANADA, NO ONE UNDERSTOOD WHEN I ASKED FOR WATER. I HAD TO SAY 'WUDDERR' FOR THEM TO GET IT - GOSH, I FELT SO SILLY SAYING 'WUDDERR'.
0 likes [|reply]
27 Jul 2009, 23:11
-kay
Do you say "woo-tah?" I just looked it up on that site, that's the only reason I ask.
I guess we say "wah-tur."
There aren't really any soft sounds over here.
0 likes [|reply]
27 Jul 2009, 23:20
Estella
I SAY 'WAW-TUH'. (FIRST SYLLABLE RYHMING WITH 'AWE' - AND INDEED HOMONYMOUS WITH 'WAR', TO CONFUSE MATTERS FUTHER!). IT'S NOT A SOFT SOUND - JUST DIFFERENT FROM 'WUDDERR'. YOU HAVE NEARLY ALL THE SAME SOUNDS AS US - JUST ARRANGED DIFFERENTLY.
0 likes [|reply]
27 Jul 2009, 23:29
Hayley McBayley
I sometimes say 'wool-ta', I think it might be because of where I come from lol. I usually get told off for saying it though :P If I didn't have such a horrible voice, I would record myself saying it lol
0 likes [|reply]
27 Jul 2009, 23:33
Estella
YOU SHOULD NOT BE ASHAMED OF YOUR VOICE, YO! YOU ARE A HARDCORE VOICE SURVIVOR! POST YOUR VOICE AND I WILL ANALYSE IT FOR YOU!
0 likes [|reply]
31 Jul 2009, 18:10
Hayley McBayley
Hmm, I might do it but I will think about it first, I barely even speak on the phone cos it sounds so horrid lol
0 likes [|reply]
31 Jul 2009, 18:18
Estella
GOSH, YO, I BET IT DOES NOT REALLY SOUND 'HORRID' - I BET YOU ARE JUST A BIT SELF-CONSCIOUS ABOUT IT. ANYWAY, SERIOUSLY, I WILL ANALYSE IT FOR YOU IF YOU LIKE.
0 likes [|reply]
27 Jul 2009, 23:09
-kay
What about building? I've heard a Brit say "buiwding" before. No "el" sound at all. Is that usual or just from that specific area?
We say "bill-ding."
0 likes [|reply]
27 Jul 2009, 23:22
Estella
AH YES, TRANSIT DOES THIS IN HER RECORDING. NOT THAT PARTICULAR WORD, BUT REPLACING 'L' WITH 'W'. IT'S QUITE COMMON IN LONDON/SURREY ACCENTS, WHICH IS ANOTHER REASON WHY HERS SOUNDS SIMILAR TO THOSE. ONE OF MY SISTERS DOES IT TOO, IN FACT.
0 likes [|reply]
27 Jul 2009, 23:27
Hayley McBayley
I say 'biwlding' - I'm from Essex (which is pretty near London) and I think everyone I know that lives here says it that way
0 likes [|reply]
28 Jul 2009, 00:50
.Amber.
What about "very"? I've heard it pronounced 'vetty' a few times. Where's that from?
0 likes [|reply]
28 Jul 2009, 00:53
.Amber.
OH! and "herb" If it's pronounced "correctly" in American it's 'urb' ... But it's 'hurb' there, right?
0 likes [|reply]
28 Jul 2009, 10:44
Transit
Hurb yes, but some people do drops the H, I do, so it is urb or urbs
0 likes [|reply]
28 Jul 2009, 12:15
Estella
HAHA - BUT YOU DON'T DROP THE H BECAUSE YOU ARE TRYING TO USE A FRENCH PRONUNCIATION AND THINK THAT CORRECT (WHICH I BELIEVE IS THE AMERICAN REASONING). YOU DO IT BECAUSE YOU DROP H'S IN GENERAL, YO, AND YOU'D ALSO SAY 'ELLO' AND 'BLOODY ELL'! ;D SO IT'S AN ALL-ROUND H-DROPPING, RATHER THAN A SPECIFIC HERB H-DROPPING.

INCIDENTALLY, SOME BRITS CONSIDER IT CORRECT TO DROP THE 'H' IN 'HOTEL' - I THINK FOR SIMILAR REASONS AS THE AMERICANS DROPPING THE 'H' IN HERB.
0 likes [|reply]
28 Jul 2009, 12:30
Transit
Don't forget ospital!
0 likes [|reply]
28 Jul 2009, 12:32
Estella
OSPITAL AS IN YOU SAY IT, OR IS THERE A TREND AMONG THE POSH ENGLISH TO SAY 'OSPITAL' AS THE APPARENTLY CORRECT PRONUNCIATION? NEVER HEARD OF THAT, YO!
0 likes [|reply]
28 Jul 2009, 12:38
Transit
It's how I say it, there aren't any poshies around here that I can get to say hospital.

At uni I lived with a greek girl who went to an international school where the teachers and most of the students were Americans, so we used to wrote down words for her to pronounce. Things like Newquay and Torquay were the best! Then nobody knew how to pronounce Belvoir, does Puck know?
0 likes [|reply]
28 Jul 2009, 12:47
Estella
GOSH, NO, I'VE NEVER EVEN HEARD OF BELVOIR. I WOULD AUTOMATICALLY PRONOUNCE IT IN A FRENCH WAY, LIKE 'BEL-VWAH', BECAUSE THAT IS HOW WORDS ENDING WITH 'VOIR' TEND TO BE PRONOUNCED HERE, BUT I IMAGINE THAT IS WRONG, SO I AWAIT YOUR ENLIGHTENMENT! ;D
This thread is locked, unable to reply
Online Friends
Offline Friends