Discussion Forums » In The News
Page:  1 
Outcry over disowned US rape girl.
0 likes [|reply]
25 Jul 2009, 14:03
Acid Fairy
This is so fucked up it's untrue.

Taken from http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8168480.stm

Offers of help are pouring in for an eight-year-old Liberian girl disowned by her own family in Phoenix, Arizona, after being raped by four boys.

The girl is under the care of the Arizona Child Protective Service (CPS) because her parents said she had shamed them, and they did not want her back.

Phoenix police said calls had come in from all over the US offering money, or even to adopt the young girl.

The boys, Liberian immigrants aged nine to 14, have been charged with rape.

The case has sparked outrage across the US and even drawn condemnation from Liberian President Ellen Johnson-Sirleaf, an outspoken anti-rape campaigner.

"I think that family is wrong. They should help that child who has been traumatised," Mrs Johnson-Sirleaf told CNN.

"They too need serious counselling because clearly they are doing something, something that is no longer acceptable in our society here," she added.

Brutal attack

Media reports said the girl was lured into a shed on 16 July with promises of chewing gum by the four young boys.

There, they held her down and took turns assaulting her for 10 to 15 minutes, before her screams alerted officers nearby.

The oldest suspect, a 14-year-old boy, will be tried as an adult on charges of kidnapping and sexual assault, police said on Friday. He is being held in police custody until trial.

The other three - aged 9, 10, and 13 - are charged as juveniles with sexual assault and kidnapping.

But the police said no charges will be filed against the parents.

"They didn't abandon the child," Phoenix police sergeant Andy Hill told AFP news agency. "They committed no crime. They just didn't support the child, which led to CPS coming over there."

Sgt Hill said people from eight or nine US states had called wanting to adopt the girl or donate money.

"It has been unbelievably fantastic in terms of support for the child," he said.

0 likes [|reply]
25 Jul 2009, 20:07
Makayla
That is so TRAGIC! But another question is how the hell does a 9 year old and a 10 year old have the mind capacity to commit something so awful! One can imagine that the 14 year old would be the instigator but it didn't say the 14 yr old MADE the younger boys rape her. Or it would be a sexual assault on both of the boys & the girl. So they had to have something to do with all of this. What is the world coming too? This whole situation is so WRONG all the way around.
0 likes [|reply]
25 Jul 2009, 21:52
Endless Love
That brought tears to my eyes reading that
0 likes [|reply]
25 Jul 2009, 22:01
Chris
For fuck's sake, disownment should be outlawed.
0 likes [|reply]
26 Jul 2009, 02:08
~*Pagan*~
Does anyone know what cultural or religious background these pathetic excuses for parents are from?

Never mind the rest,.....outlaw BELIEFS that encourage people to behave like that.
0 likes [|reply]
25 Jul 2009, 14:27
Lindy
that is the saddest thing ever. she went through the most horrific ordeal and her own mum and dad wont even look after her and give her a cuddle. bastards. i hope she is being looked after properly and is loved. they dont deserve her. ughhh. sooo sad!
0 likes [|reply]
25 Jul 2009, 14:31
Laurarose
I remember a similar story of a girl raped and then fell pregnant by her two brothers who was then murdered by her mother saying that she [the daughter] had bought shame to the family for being raped and then falling pregnant and the family needed cleansing by getting rid of her basically.
There are some things in cultures that I will never understand.
0 likes [|reply]
25 Jul 2009, 15:31
Acid Fairy
Jesus holy Christ.
0 likes [|reply]
26 Jul 2009, 02:29
Jessica [Private]
The family needs cleansing by getting rid of the nutjob mother and those two boys! not the daughter!!
0 likes [|reply]
25 Jul 2009, 19:25
-kay
I am absolutely speechless.
0 likes [|reply]
25 Jul 2009, 21:00
~RedFraggle~
That's horrible. Her family don't deserve her. I hope she find parents who will love her and care for her as parents should.
0 likes [|reply]
25 Jul 2009, 21:56
*Forever Changing*
I am in tears for her, because I know how she feels. She will make it though. She can do it.
0 likes [|reply]
25 Jul 2009, 22:49
crafty writer
I live in Arizona and I have heard that so many people want to adopt her. I have also heard that the parents called CPS to begin with, to have her taken away and then called them again, asking them to bring her back, saying that it was a mistake. Lord knows what would happen if she was brought back to her parents.
0 likes [|reply]
26 Jul 2009, 00:46
*Forever Changing*
My mom sent me to foster care after my abuse because she didnt want me anymore. With my mom it was her not wanting to face her own past, not that I am making excuses for her, I am just saying, not everyone knows what mentally is wrong with the parents.
0 likes [|reply]
26 Jul 2009, 08:00
& skull.
what the fuck is wrong with kids these days? is the media horribly over sexed now?

poor damn girl. goes through that and can't even rely on her bloody parents for support and care. people should need to pass a test to be allowed to breed.
0 likes [|reply]
26 Jul 2009, 12:29
Acid Fairy
Haha my friend has long been saying that!
0 likes [|reply]
28 Jul 2009, 22:43
bakerjessica87
and now they have on the news .. her older sister saying that the 8 year old has brought shame upon their family.. not just this but always has
This thread is locked, unable to reply
Online Friends
Offline Friends