Your Username:
Your Password:

[ sign up | recover ]

Discussion Forums » Television
Britain's Got Talent 2009..
0 likes [|reply]
25 May 2009, 20:33
~RedFraggle~
Why does someone have to get rip roaring drunk to be a successful musician? Leona is incredibly talented, and a very worthy winner of The X Factor and of the fame which she's had since. I also personally think one of the most attractive things about her is the fact that she's normal. She doesn't fall out of clubs drunk, she doesn't do drugs. She doesn't behave like a star. She's normal. That's her personality, and many people love her for it. And musically speaking, she's far more talented than Lily Allen. I like a few of Lily's songs, but personally, if I'd paid to see someone perform live, I'd feel rather cheated if they fell about the stage drunk and slurring their words (same goes for Amy Winehouse, who I think IS very talented, but personality wise needs some work!).

Sadly there are many many talented people out there who don't get a chance in the music business. Shows like The X Factor give them a chance at their dream. And people like Leona show that it works.

I don't like Simon Cowell, but I do think he's extremely good at what he does. He knows his stuff, and he knows what sells, and how to sell it.
0 likes [|reply]
25 May 2009, 22:03
Acid Fairy
Oh gosh you know that's not what I meant, but geez Leona Lewis is so boring. She doesn't have a personality. For me, there is no soul in her music because of this. Also, all her music consists of sloppy slow ballads which is so predictable for an X Factor winner. Does she even write her own music? I feel strongly about this. Say what you want about Lily Allen, but she at least has the talent to write her own material.
0 likes [|reply]
25 May 2009, 22:07
~RedFraggle~
Writing songs is all very well and good, but it's a bit pointless if you can't sing them in tune!

I disagree on Leona. I don't believe the definition of 'personality' is getting papped getting wasted. And if it is, then I guess I don't have a personality either! And I guess I'm boring too. :-/

Slow ballads are not everyone's taste, but just because they are not to your taste does not mean she is untalented or lacks personality. Some of her songs give me goosebumps when I hear them. I can't say I've ever experienced that listening to Lily.
0 likes [|reply]
25 May 2009, 22:21
Acid Fairy
See I don't think she is that talented. Her voice is unnecessarily whiny and she sounds too much like a Mariah Carey clone (who I also dislike with a passion) for my liking. Even though slow songs aren't normally to my liking, I think somebody like Christina Aguilera has a far superior voice, and I can listen to her ballads with ease. That is probably because she tends to sing in the contralto range, whereas many female singers are sopranos which quite honestly hurts my ears.

Lily Allen's songs are fun, they're on a completely different level so it's unfair to compare the two. But her slow songs suck, too.

Anyway, forget the drunk analogy, that was a bad one. I'm not one for reading celeb gossip mags so it doesn't appeal to me either, but she just seems so boring to me. I can't imagine her concerts ever being anything more than her and a piano. In my experience, the best concerts are ones that are exciting and unusual, fun with lots of visuals. (Which I realise is mainly down to the management but I can't imagine them even trying to change her persona.)

It's like the last one that won X Factor (I would avoid it but my mom watches it and I keep my laptop downstairs - it's too cold in my room), she had a slightly better voice but again, she didn't seem like she was original. Just ordinary. And I will never forgive Cowell for that cover she did of Hallelujah. OH MY GOD. How that reached number 1 never fails to amaze me.
0 likes [|reply]
25 May 2009, 22:22
Acid Fairy
Oops didn't close the italic tag.
0 likes [|reply]
25 May 2009, 23:10
~RedFraggle~
Lol. I liked Alexandra's version. ;D

But I agree on Mariah Carey. I can't stand her either.

I don't believe anyone should have to change their personality to sell records though. Especially not when they're selling plenty of records with their existing personality!
0 likes [|reply]
26 May 2009, 10:10
Lady Elphaba
Speaking of X Factor, I was annoyed when Rhydian Roberts didn't win last year, like he should've. From what I remember, they messed up the counts and that "alright" Leon Jackson won instead -really, Rhydian was so much better!
0 likes [|reply]
26 May 2009, 10:12
Lady Elphaba
Whoops -forgot it was Alexandra Burkes last year -I mean, the year before with Rhydian :P
0 likes [|reply]
30 May 2009, 22:36
~RedFraggle~
In fairness, there was problems with people trying to get through on both lines, Leon's AND Rhydian's. I don't think it was that the counts were messed up, just that people couldn't get through. But Leon was disadvantaged in the same way.

Still, that said, I agree that based on talent Rhydian should have won. But I think Leon won fairly.
0 likes [|reply]
31 May 2009, 19:18
Lady Elphaba
I still think they cheated that year with their voting system.

Rhydian should've won ;D
0 likes [|reply]
31 May 2009, 19:53
~RedFraggle~
There's claims of problems with the voting system every year with all of these shows. It happened when my cousin was voted out of Popstars too. I remember text voting for her and getting a reply saying I'd voted for someone else. Telephone voting isn't a perfect system, but I do think claims of rigging is usually just people being bad losers.
0 likes [|reply]
31 May 2009, 20:00
Lady Elphaba
Whoa! Sounds like they had jinxed the voting system there..
0 likes [|reply]
26 May 2009, 11:13
Lady Elphaba
I always thought Leona Lewis was really good -and she's definitely a great example of someone that definitely benefited from these shows :D I agree.
Amy Winehouse is one of my favourite singers. It's a pity how she presents herself, though..
Yes :D Simon Cowell is amazing! He can be well rude but he really gives a "reality check". I like the fact that he's not afraid to hold back his criticism. He just says what he needs to say :)
0 likes [|reply]
25 May 2009, 16:18
The Ryan
I love these shows too. It gives people opportunities that they wouldn't have got in real life. It gives them exposure and experience and helps them work on their stage presence.
And sure you can say "if they were talented they would have made it anyway" but that's stupid. Making it is 40% talent and 60% being in the right place at the right time.

Like sure, not all of the singers make it to the charts, or sustain themselves in the charts. But not all of the singers are meant to be in the charts. Instead, after the shows, they find themselves decent jobs in Musical Theatre, or at Butlins, and finally get to do what they always wanted to do: entertain people. Which is a step up from doing something they never wanted to do, i.e whatever they were getting paid to do before. Even if it is at a holiday camp.

You'd be surprised at how much a 'non succesful' contestant can rake in and learn from the experience of being on those shows, yo!
0 likes [|reply]
25 May 2009, 16:36
Estella
YES, YO - THAT IS RUBBISH THAT IF PEOPLE ARE TALENTED THEY AUTOMATICALLY 'MAKE' IT. IN FACT, I'D SAY THE PERCENTAGE WHO DO IS MUCH LESS THAN 40%. I THINK IT IS PARTLY ABOUT BEING IN THE RIGHT PLACE AT THE RIGHT TIME, AND PARTLY ABOUT THE PEOPLE YOU KNOW, AND ALSO A LOT ABOUT DRIVE AND AMBITION - LIKE PEOPLE HAVE TO HAVE A HARDCORE DESIRE TO SUCCEED AND SACRIFICE ALL KINDS OF OTHER THINGS TO GET THERE. LIKE, SUSAN BOYLE IS GOOD, BUT SHE ISN'T HARDCORE DRIVEN. IN SOME WAYS, SHE'S SIMPLY TOO 'NICE'. PEOPLE WHO GET TO THE TOP ARE GENERALLY QUITE RUTHLESS. LIKE, THAT FAMOUS BALLERINA WHO SEEMS SO NICE AND SWEET - SHE WAS INTERVIEWED AND ASKED IF SHE WAS REALLY SO NICE AND SWEET AS SHE SEEMED, AND SHE DEMURRED A BIT OVER THE QUESTION, BUT THEN BASICALLY SAID THAT THERE WAS NO WAY SHE'D HAVE BEEN AS SUCCESSFUL AS SHE IS IF SHE WERE, YO!

'TIS A SHAME, YO. LIKE, THERE WAS A GIRL I KNEW AT SCHOOL WHO WAS A HARDCORE BRILLIANT SINGER, AND I WAS TOTALLY CONVINCED SHE'D BE FAMOUS SOMEDAY, AND I WAS SO LOOKING FORWARD TO BUYING HER CD'S. BUT NOW I REALISE SHE SIMPLY DOESN'T HAVE THAT KIND OF PERSONALITY - WHICH ISN'T A BAD THING, PERSONALITY-WISE, BUT IS JUST BAD FOR ALL THOSE PEOPLE WHO WOULD OTHERWISE HAVE ENJOYED HER CD'S, YO!
0 likes [|reply]
25 May 2009, 16:59
The Ryan
Yes, yo! Plus there are so many NOT talented people that have made it. Like Lilly Allen! ;D haha
0 likes [|reply]
25 May 2009, 17:09
Estella
HAHA - BUT SHE TOTALLY HAS THE PERSONALITY, YO. AND HER SONGS ARE HILARIOUSLY CATCHY! AND HER MOCKNEY ACCENT IS THE GREATEST! GOSH, YO - YOU CANNOT STOP ME LOVING LILY ALLEN, YO! SHE TOTALLY MAKES ME 'SMAH-AH-ILE'! ALTHOUGH SHE'S PROBABLY AN ANNOYING WHINY BRAT IN REAL LIFE, YO!
0 likes [|reply]
25 May 2009, 20:34
~RedFraggle~
Good point about 'who you know'. Lily Allen would likely not be where she is now if it wasn't for her famous dad.
0 likes [|reply]
26 May 2009, 11:14
Lady Elphaba
Paris Hilton, too :P
0 likes [|reply]
25 May 2009, 17:00
Acid Fairy
The only person deserving of any of it was Darius, because he is one sexy mofo and extremely talented to boot!
0 likes [|reply]
25 May 2009, 17:13
Estella
WHO IS THIS DARIUS, YO? I CAN'T FIND HIM ON YOUTUBE? DID YOU SPELL HIS NAME RIGHT?
0 likes [|reply]
25 May 2009, 17:48
Acid Fairy
Darius Danesh! He was in the first ever Pop Idol and had this horrible long hair:

Then he came back a few years later looking like this:

Like woah! I love him. He is of Iranian descent which is probably why I like him, I do find my Middle Easterners rather sexy ;D

He is in musical theatre now.

0 likes [|reply]
25 May 2009, 18:12
Estella
GOSH, YO - HE LOOKS LIKE A VAMPIRE.
0 likes [|reply]
25 May 2009, 19:41
The Ryan
I have friends who have worked with Darius, and they have all said he was incredibly nice and down to earth, yo!
0 likes [|reply]
25 May 2009, 20:04
Acid Fairy
:o

OMG.
This thread is locked, unable to reply
Online Friends
Offline Friends