[ sign up | recover ]

Discussion Forums » In The News
US mother guilty of letting daughter die
0 likes [|reply]
23 May 2009, 12:12
& skull.
US mother guilty of letting daughter die
May 23, 2009, 8:19 am
A mother accused of praying instead of seeking medical help for her dying 11-year-old daughter was found guilty on Friday of reckless homicide.

A Marathon County jury deliberated for about three and a half hours before convicting Leilani Neumann, 41, of Weston. She faces up to 25 years in prison, but no sentencing date had been set.

Neumann's daughter Madeline died from untreated diabetes on March 23, 2008, surrounded by people praying for her. When she stopped breathing, her parents' business and Bible study partners finally called the emergency dispatcher.

Prosecutors contend a reasonable parent would have known something was gravely wrong with Madeline and that her mother recklessly killed her by ignoring obvious symptoms, such as her inability to walk or talk.

During closing arguments, Marathon County district attorney Jill Falstad described Neumann as a religious zealot who let her daughter, called Kara by her parents, die as a test of faith.

"Basic medical care would have saved Kara's life - fluids and insulin," Falstad said. "There was plenty of time to save Kara's life."

Defence lawyer Gene Linehan said Neumann didn't realise her daughter was so ill and did all she could do to help, in line with the family's belief in faith-healing.

He said Neumann was a devout Christian and took good care of her four children.

"The woman did everything she could to help her," Linehan said. "That is the injustice in this case."

Neumann remained free on bond. Her husband, Dale, faces the same charge and was scheduled to stand trial in July.

article here

discuss.
0 likes [|reply]
23 May 2009, 12:39
Villy
"Everything she could" my ass.

THAT'S the problem I have with the uber religious types. There's the extremist bigots, and there's these idiots that so lost in their faith that they completely disregard COMMON FUCKING SENSE.
0 likes [|reply]
23 May 2009, 16:00
sumamen
"THAT'S the problem I have with the uber religious types. There's the extremist bigots, and there's these idiots that so lost in their faith that they completely disregard COMMON FUCKING SENSE."

Not to disrespect you and your problems..but not all "religious types" are idiots. And I have plenty of common sense. This woman is just one out of millions of christians or "religious types"...you can't base a whole people on what one person does.
Just as I, as a christian, would think that all non christians are idiots and "religious type" bashers. Right?
0 likes [|reply]
23 May 2009, 16:36
DecentralizedByGuilt
In all fairness she said "uber religious types"
big difference.
Further more, the article says "surrounded by people praying for her."
Not just one, but "people"
And this is only one case out of many.
It's a real problem.
We understand that Christianity has 100's of different branches and beliefs within itself.
and they all love to tell each other who the real christian is, and how a true christian would behave.
It's nearly imposable to keep up with Christianity's 100's of conflicting beliefs in interpretation is these the vast number of branches. Which is why most just refer to them as the extreme type. It's kind of funny how if one takes everything in the bible "literally" they're considered to be "extreme"

Christianity always reminds me of the serpent eating it's own tail
0 likes [|reply]
23 May 2009, 16:38
DecentralizedByGuilt
oops
should read: in these vast number of.....
0 likes [|reply]
23 May 2009, 17:45
Villy
Um...I didn't say "religious types." I said "uber religious types." They are not the same thing. I specifically mention EXACTLY what I was referring to when I said it.

I have no problems with Christians. I was raised Christian, my family is Christian, the vast majority of my friends are Christian. But, they are sane Christians. They know how to live their lives in a way they see fitting as a follower of Christ, without being intolerant or idiotic.

I feel sorry for you, if you're so paranoid that you think anyone that dislikes the bad apples in your faith is bashing EVERYONE in your faith.

0 likes [|reply]
23 May 2009, 17:52
sumamen
Don't feel sorry for me. I know didn't mean any harm, nor did you want to start anything...(sarcastic)

I am not paranoid, for your information...I am cautious of trouble starting immature people that like to start forums and such for the pure reason of making someone, who is different than yourself (thereselves) look stupid.
0 likes [|reply]
23 May 2009, 17:55
Villy
That was not the point of my original comment, in the slightest.

but whatever. Its not my fault you lack reading comprehension skills.
0 likes [|reply]
26 May 2009, 21:37
BROTHERJIM_4_JC
I would like to know how you get defined as a zealot or religious freak, etc. What is the criteria? Who makes that decision and is it because that so called zealot has more faith than you or practices different than yourself.
0 likes [|reply]
26 May 2009, 21:40
BROTHERJIM_4_JC
What about separation of church and state...:) Had to throw that in there anyway since since she was following her belief and all, but that only counts when you don't want prayer in school, the teaching of creation, etc etc. Then people love it.
0 likes [|reply]
23 May 2009, 16:50
« Krisstah »
Lol.. im sure everyone in the world knows how i feel about this already.. haha..
0 likes [|reply]
23 May 2009, 17:22
queenbutterfly
Oh great. Now this is going to give us Christians a bad name.

I want to say that I believe this is crazy. I believe in healing, and that God can heals us. But I also believe that God created medicine, and doctors, so that we could seek treatment as well.
0 likes [|reply]
24 May 2009, 11:06
& skull.
crazy idiots are everywhere. they give everything a bad name.
0 likes [|reply]
26 May 2009, 19:08
Love, Rebekah
agreed
0 likes [|reply]
23 May 2009, 18:54
Moonlight Shadows
all i can say is....
only in America...
0 likes [|reply]
24 May 2009, 13:02
~*Pagan*~
Good care...yeah right.

INCLUDING KILLING ONE.
0 likes [|reply]
26 May 2009, 19:07
Love, Rebekah
I am a Christan, wholeheartedly, but if my child was sick, I would seek medical attention. Of course I would pray, but that isn't ALL I would do.
0 likes [|reply]
27 May 2009, 01:30
Wisconsin Mom
This has been all over the news here and i watched part of the trial on our local news. kuz it isnt to far from where we live. i dont agree with what she did. im sorry but if my son cant walk or talk i am taking him to the doctor.
0 likes [|reply]
23 May 2009, 12:23
.Blue Bella.
I wonder what they think of 'faith-healing' now... how strong their belief is?

Look, I'm all for people praying if that is what they want to do. But pray by her bedside in the hospital where she is getting proper medical attention. Don't wait till she is dead for a bloody solution.
0 likes [|reply]
23 May 2009, 15:16
grunge.
I emailed this to BIBLE HUGGER MOM, and she says:

"I would never do that and God would never want anyone to do that. You have to have wisdom and use the Drs. God gave us."
0 likes [|reply]
23 May 2009, 16:01
sumamen
I agree with that.
0 likes [|reply]
23 May 2009, 16:03
grunge.
Ha. Yeah, I like to e-mail her stupid stuff about god just to see her re-action sometimes and that is actually the first time she has actually responded to something with god in it I sent.
0 likes [|reply]
23 May 2009, 16:05
sumamen
who is she? just curious..
0 likes [|reply]
23 May 2009, 16:06
grunge.
My Mom a true bible hugger.
0 likes [|reply]
23 May 2009, 16:09
sumamen
ahhhhhhh! haha..awesome! And to think what they found in the back of the car! LOL..ummm
This thread is locked, unable to reply
Online Friends
Offline Friends