Your Username:
Your Password:

[ sign up | recover ]

Discussion Forums » General Discussion
High School Dropouts
0 likes [|reply]
22 Apr 2009, 15:11
.xoxo
I know in my state, that if you are 20-21(I don't remember which one.) years or older than you cannot go back to high school unless you are a special education student then there is no limit. It is pretty much up to the administration if someone that age can go back to school or not.
0 likes [|reply]
21 Apr 2009, 20:52
gravity girl
Some companies/people/places see it as below a HS diploma. A lot of people think it's an easy way out.
0 likes [|reply]
21 Apr 2009, 16:31
Chris
A GED is a General Education Degree. Some colleges or community colleges will take you, but you won't get into any universities unless you go to a community college first.
0 likes [|reply]
21 Apr 2009, 16:33
blank page
GED is a general education diploma which is equivalent to the high school diploma. You can take a test and sometimes go back for classes to get the GED.
0 likes [|reply]
21 Apr 2009, 16:40
& skull.
always wondered what that stood for. down in aus it was HSC for ages [high school certificate] but now all the state have their own thing. in victoria it's VCE, which i'm pretty sure is victorian certificate of education.
0 likes [|reply]
21 Apr 2009, 23:17
.Blue Bella.
QLD it is OP :P And I can't remember what that stands for... overall position or something like that :P Maybe! LOL
0 likes [|reply]
21 Apr 2009, 17:17
« Krisstah »
Lol.. i always thought it was graduation equivalency diploma
0 likes [|reply]
21 Apr 2009, 17:56
blank page
I googled it, and I found that both terms are used. :)
0 likes [|reply]
21 Apr 2009, 22:17
Lauren.
Hahaha, I'm glad I'm not the only one who was thinking that :P!
0 likes [|reply]
21 Apr 2009, 22:50
Acid Fairy
They're making it 18 in a few years though. Totally crazy.
0 likes [|reply]
23 Apr 2009, 15:10
Endless Love
Its a General Education Diploma

My brother calls it the Good Enough Diploma. Because it's not as good as a high school diploma but it's good enough to be able to get by with.
0 likes [|reply]
21 Apr 2009, 16:22
gravity girl
1) What grade did you drop out of high school? After the first semester of 9th grade, I did home schooling for the second semester, so I guess you could say 10th? I've always just said 9th.

2) Why did you drop out? Like a few other people, I was diagnosed with agoraphobia, I had terrible social anxiety. Also, that year was when my grandmother had been diagnosed with lung cancer and her being my best friend I wanted to be there for her all the time. I didn't even realize some of it was that I wanted to be there for my grandmother until a couple years later. [I actually had to take my last final while she was in the hospital, she passed away a few days later]

3) Are/did you plan(ing) on getting a GED? I've been planning on it since I dropped out, actually. I've had the papers filled out twice, then forgot to mail them.

4) Do you regret dropping out at all? If so/not, why? I regret not having the "high school experience" that people talk about. Going to prom, hanging out with friends. I sort of grew up that year/summer so after then it was hard to relate to people my age.

5) How did dropping out of high school change your life? I took on a lot of household responsibilities I never really had to do. I helped out with my grandmother, I cleaned and cooked.
0 likes [|reply]
21 Apr 2009, 16:22
gravity girl
Sorry, I'm 18, female and white.
0 likes [|reply]
21 Apr 2009, 16:56
Estella
I'M ALSO CURIOUS - AT WHAT AGE ARE AMERICANS ALLOWED TO DROP OUT OF HIGH SCHOOL? AND IF THEY HAVE HOMESCHOOLING INSTEAD, DOES THAT ACTUALLY COUNT AS 'DROPPING OUT' OR IS IT SIMPLY AN EQUIVALENT FORM OF EDUCATION?
0 likes [|reply]
21 Apr 2009, 17:17
« Krisstah »
Legally you have to stay in school until youre 16.
Home schooled doesn't count as dropping out.
0 likes [|reply]
21 Apr 2009, 17:21
Estella
SO IF SOMEONE LEAVES SCHOOL AT 16, ARE THEY CONSIDERED A DROPOUT? ARE THERE NOT QUALIFICATIONS THAT THEY CAN GET AT 16?
0 likes [|reply]
21 Apr 2009, 17:22
« Krisstah »
well they can write their GED by then.
but yeah, as soon as you leave school and dont plan to return thats considered dropping out.
0 likes [|reply]
21 Apr 2009, 17:38
Estella
SO LONG AS THEY ARE UNDER 18, I TAKE IT? OR DOES THE 'DROPOUT' LABEL CONTINUE THROUGHOUT ALL THEIR SCHOOLING UNTIL THEY GET THEIR DEGREE?
0 likes [|reply]
21 Apr 2009, 17:39
« Krisstah »
until the end, grade 12.
so if you didnt graduate, youre considered to have "dropped out"
0 likes [|reply]
21 Apr 2009, 17:40
Estella
AH. BUT IF THEY FAIL THEIR EXAMS AND THUS DON'T GRADUATE BECAUSE OF THAT, THEN WOULDN'T THAT BE CONSIDERED 'FAILING HIGH SCHOOL' RATHER THAN 'DROPPING OUT OF HIGH SCHOOL'? OR DOES THAT NOT HAPPEN? DOES EVERYONE WHO CONTINUES TO ATTEND AUTOMATICALLY GRADUATE?
0 likes [|reply]
21 Apr 2009, 17:42
« Krisstah »
They would fail, but would make the choice to reattend.
dropping out is only when the person makes the decision to not reattend school again for whatever reason
0 likes [|reply]
21 Apr 2009, 17:56
Estella
GOSH, YO - SO, LIKE, IF THEY ARE SIMPLY NOT AT ALL ACADEMIC, AND KEEP RETAKING TILL THEY'RE 30 AND THEN DECIDE 'STUFF THIS, YO! I'M TOO OLD FOR HIGH SCHOOL - I'M GOING TO GET A JOB INSTEAD!' WOULD THEY STILL BE CONSIDERED A DROP OUT? IN THE UK, IF YOU FAIL YOUR EXAMS, YOU'RE JUST CONSIDERED TO HAVE FAILED YOUR EXAMS. NO 'DROP OUT' CONCEPT IN SUCH A CASE.

AND WHAT IF THEY FAIL SOME SUBJECTS AND PASS OTHERS? LIKE, BACK IN THE DAY, I TOTALLY FAILED PHYSICS GCSE, BUT I STILL WENT ON TO DO A LEVELS AND GO TO UNI. LIKE FAILING ONE SUBJECT DIDN'T MATTER, AND DIDN'T SUGGEST I'D FAILED SCHOOL OR DROPPED OUT OR ANYTHING.
0 likes [|reply]
21 Apr 2009, 18:02
blank page
You have to have a certain number of credits to graduate. If you fail courses over and over again, then you usually get tutors or summer schooling (classes during the summer to get you back up to date, and it's usually more personal rather than just huge classes).
0 likes [|reply]
21 Apr 2009, 18:05
Estella
A CERTAIN NUMBER OF OVERALL CREDITS? OR A CERTAIN NUMBER OF CREDITS IN EACH SUBJECT? AND ON WHAT ARE THE CREDITS BASED? COURSEWORK AND EXAM RESULTS? IS THERE AN A/B/C SYSTEM, WHERE C IS THE LOWEST GRADE YOU CAN GET IN EACH SUBJECT TO PASS IT?
0 likes [|reply]
21 Apr 2009, 18:11
« Krisstah »
over all in high school you get a credit or half credit depending on the subject, and it varies in how many depending on where you live.
like some schools require 21 credits while others may only need 18.

Some schools also do letter grades, but then you find schools what will do % where 65 i believe is the lowest for a passing grade.

I also think the term drop out is more of a street name for people who have left school. Its not really a label that is burned into you for not attending. Although its very well known and used now.
This thread is locked, unable to reply
Online Friends
Offline Friends