[ sign up | recover ]

Discussion Forums » Television
Page:  1  2 
America's Next Top Model
0 likes [|reply]
17 Apr 2009, 01:59
international
To anyone who saw the last episode:

That almost naked man was not brazilian. He was in fact, portuguese, speaking portuguese from Portugal.

I'm not sure about the nuts, they might have been brazilian. But he did not fool me. Tyra did not fool me.

So wrong.

0 likes [|reply]
17 Apr 2009, 02:57
panda bear.
LOLOLOLOLOLOL such a TV thing to do!
0 likes [|reply]
17 Apr 2009, 04:45
valerieeeee
hahahaha

Good to know!
0 likes [|reply]
20 Apr 2009, 05:43
Eat Yellow Snow
:-/ I think Tyra Banks is a twisted individual, a mindless twat I guess you can say. :-/
0 likes [|reply]
20 Apr 2009, 13:42
international
I find it a little funny how she always makes a big point on the models learning the culture and being smart, bla bla.... and then she goes and makes such a trivial mistake! The worst part is, I think she might even have done it on purpose, thinking it wasn't a big deal. I mean she must've known he was Portuguese and not Brazilian...
0 likes [|reply]
20 Apr 2009, 14:35
valerieeeee
she acts like she's so cultured and smart but then does that. she acts like she knows every culture of every country they've been to but she's just an idiot.
0 likes [|reply]
24 Apr 2009, 06:09
take me there
dont people from brazil also speak portuguese? is there a difference in the kind of portuguese to know if he is from brazil or portugal then?
0 likes [|reply]
24 Apr 2009, 11:38
international
Ahhhh... yes and yes! The language is also called portuguese. Essencially, it's the same language just as the spanish in Mexico and the spanish in Spain are both spanish. But they are still very different! Not just the accent but sentence structure, words, everything! It's very wrong and insulting to have a portuguese person pretend he is brazilian. It wasn't about the language, it was about the nationality and location, and he had neither!
0 likes [|reply]
25 Apr 2009, 21:53
Jessica [Private]
Hell, the Spanish from Mexico and Puerto Rico is totally different as well ;D
I can totally tell the two apart, and I don't even speak spanish!!
0 likes [|reply]
24 Apr 2009, 13:08
i blame mac
It is pretty ignorant to do that, especially if she knew she was making the mistake. I wouldn't want my culture to be misinterpreted as being from Mexico. Mostly people think I'm from Africa, though...so yeah, I should shut up now. Bad Tyra.
0 likes [|reply]
24 Apr 2009, 13:08
love♥nik
That was pretty stupid. I'll have to remember that when I get caught up.
0 likes [|reply]
24 Apr 2009, 16:32
prettylittlekitty
I haven't gotten to watch the new episode yet. lol. Tyra gets on my nerves. It's always about her. For everything.
0 likes [|reply]
25 Apr 2009, 00:13
Miss
I thought that they speak Portuguese in Brazil?
0 likes [|reply]
25 Apr 2009, 00:18
valerieeeee
yeah but she said that the man was from brazil, and he wasn't. he was from portugal. speaking the wrong dialect.
0 likes [|reply]
25 Apr 2009, 01:39
love♥nik
Maybe it's b/c I'm tired... but your sentence made absolutely no sense to me. XD But Bia already explained it... I think. XD
0 likes [|reply]
25 Apr 2009, 18:30
valerieeeee
too many pronouns, not enough explanation. lol
0 likes [|reply]
25 Apr 2009, 01:31
international
Um, we do. But it's not the same portuguese as that spoken in Portugal. At all. And having a portuguese man speaking portuguese from Portugal inviting Tyra to his country doesn't doesn't make sense when she then yells that they are going to Brazil.

*sigh*

Australians speak english, but does that make it okay for an Australian to say "Come to my country" and then expect his country to be the United States?
0 likes [|reply]
25 Apr 2009, 01:40
love♥nik
Or another example, English and Americans speak the same language. 2 different countries. Um. In China and Taiwan, we speak "Chinese" but it might be a totally different dialect or in term of Taiwan, we speak the same language but different country.

I really hope I'm making sense. I'm so bushed. XD
0 likes [|reply]
25 Apr 2009, 01:41
international
Indeed.
0 likes [|reply]
25 Apr 2009, 01:46
love♥nik
Ok, I'm glad I made sense to you b/c I didn't even really make sense to myself. XD
0 likes [|reply]
25 Apr 2009, 01:47
international
Well, you said what I said but with another example. lol
0 likes [|reply]
25 Apr 2009, 02:19
love♥nik
Hahaha yeah I figured I would try to help you along. XD
0 likes [|reply]
25 Apr 2009, 03:24
Miss
i see what you're saying. but i mean, if Tyra lets girls from other countries with accents (like Jaslene) win America's next top model and represent America's next top model, i don't think it would make much difference if the man was from Brazil or not. they probably just got somebody that speaks the language to do it so that the girls would get the general idea that they were about to travel to another country. and i'm sure Tyra didn't personally pick that man. i mean, she can't do EVERYTHING at once, with top model and her talk show.
0 likes [|reply]
25 Apr 2009, 13:56
Lauren.
Yes, it DOES matter. It being America's Next Top Model has nothing to do with their racial backgrounds. The point is, is Tyra always makes a big deal about her models being educated and cultural, and then she brings in a man from Portugal to invite them to his country, which is NOT Brazil. It's the same as having someone from the UK come to invite you to their country, and the country they're going to be America. Just because they speak the same language doesn't mean they're from the same place, and it was a stupid mistake. Hot Brazilian men are easy to find, and it wouldn't have taken much more time. Even if it wasn't Tyra who picked this man, it's a mistake that ANYONE should've avoided. I can see how that would be offensive to someone who knew the difference.
0 likes [|reply]
25 Apr 2009, 13:57
international
LOL @ "Hot Brazilian men are easy to find"
This thread is locked, unable to reply
Online Friends
Offline Friends