Search
Not Logged In
Your Username:
Your Password:

[ sign up | recover ]

Discussion Forums » Thread Graveyard
Page:  1  2 
IP address's being given out for comments now.
0 likes [|reply]
20 Mar 2009, 19:51
TheLazyNinja
Well this little forum topic may cause me to get in some trouble but hey let's face it, I have been in trouble in this site before with people so why not again!

I know IP addresses have been givin out for blocking reasons. And while not a fan of that I have accepted it. But apparently Steve or some staff member has giving out IP address's on anonymous comments now to. For no other reason then they figured that the person leaving the comment had it comming or deserved it or something.

If the staff or someone is going to just give out the IP addresses because they want to anyways what is the point in claiming anything anonymous?

And does anyone realize that giving out IP address's anyways is a security risk?

Where is the line that the staff has between what they should and shouldnt do?

0 likes [|reply]
20 Mar 2009, 20:43
.Ban.Ignorance.
so i dont know all that went down. what im reading is : bad shit was said someone got offended. went to steve. steve did shit it probably shouldnt have.

what i dont get is why steve would let there be anon comments if he is going to tell people who they belong to. Granted he did this because someones feelings got hurt.. but if someone is leaving an anon comment it usually isn't to tell them how wonderful they are.
0 likes [|reply]
20 Mar 2009, 20:45
TheLazyNinja
That is what im saying. Just having the anon comment feature should mean they remain anon unless there is something like a death threat. But just giving out the information to someone completely goes against the idea of privacy on this site.

yes anon comments are ususally mean but if he is going to just say who it was because they deserve whats coming..whats the point?
0 likes [|reply]
20 Mar 2009, 21:34
LiveLoveLaugh
Steve owns this site. He can do what he wants when he wants. No one can stop him. I dont see what ANYONE can do, because this is HIS site. He can close it tomorrow if he felt like it.. So, if he wants to confirm something, that is his business.. I just think you may not know all the facts to things.
0 likes [|reply]
20 Mar 2009, 21:37
TheLazyNinja
Steve being the owner has nothing to do with it. Yes he can do it but he Shouldnt do it. If he wants people to contribute to the site then he shouldnt say one thing and do another.
0 likes [|reply]
20 Mar 2009, 20:59
tumbling;echo xx
"what i dont get is why steve would let there be anon comments if he is going to tell people who they belong to."

I totally agree. Anonymous comments are just that...anonymous.
0 likes [|reply]
20 Mar 2009, 21:16
~*Shannon*~
Ok, just to play the devil's advocate here....

Yes, anonymous comments ARE anonymous. HOWEVER, anonymous also means you can't block someone who you feel is harassing you or just being plain rude. Yes, you can set your privacy to disallow anonymous comments by making comments allowable to members only, but that doesn't keep the person leaving the anonymous comments from reading you. And how many of us really want that person to continue reading us? I know I wouldn't.

Now, asking for the IP address of the one who is leaving the anonymous comments does NOT tell them who the diarist was, it simply tells them what the IP is. Of course, that could be figured out, but only after extensive research in most cases. And if you have that much time to research it, you need a hobby.

At any rate, I don't think giving the IP address is the big deal. It is for the protection of the person receiving the anonymous comments. BUT, TELLING the person who requested the IP address WHO the IP address belongs to....now THAT is unacceptable. I had IP addresses in my block list that I would have had NO CLUE who they were if I hadn't have already blocked their diary and THEN asked for the IP address, so obviously having the IP doesn't give away the identity of the anonymous commentor.

See what I'm saying?
0 likes [|reply]
20 Mar 2009, 21:24
tumbling;echo xx
Yes, I 100% agree with you, actually. I guess I should have elaborated more on that. The point of the matter was that the identities of the anonymous commenters were given which is (as we both seem to agree) completely unacceptable. It irritates me that the person leading this site would do something like that, and then allow the person he gave it to, to screen shot and POST it on her diary for everyone to see. There is absolutely NO reason that should have been allowed under any circumstances. It's a violation of privacy and trust, and frankly, it's quite tacky.
0 likes [|reply]
20 Mar 2009, 21:25
~*Shannon*~
I am in complete agreement with you over this angle of the issue.
0 likes [|reply]
20 Mar 2009, 22:31
Fake Diary
No IP address was given out. Only screen names. The IP of the anonymous comment was traced to user signatures that were given to the person being "harassed".
0 likes [|reply]
20 Mar 2009, 22:33
TheLazyNinja
Ok then what is the point of having staff if steve is just going to announce anon comments? Shouldnt the staff had been made aware and told the person doing the harassing to stop it and if need be banned them from the site?

What is the point in anon comments if steve is just going to make them public just cause he feels the person has it coming? whats the point in staff then?
0 likes [|reply]
20 Mar 2009, 22:39
Fake Diary
Staff doesn't deal with user conflict. I don't really 100% agree with Steve on this, so I don't know what else to tell you. I think people are too obsessed with other people (aka the person who was apparently "harassing"), and that other people (the person being "harassed") are too obsessed with what others on the internet think about them. Wah. Too bad.

That last sentence almost seems ironic coming from me, I know. But instead of listening to all the whiners on here, I just deleted that diary and my position as staff so I didn't have to hear all the bitching or get more bitching from the husband. :-/
0 likes [|reply]
20 Mar 2009, 22:50
Fake Diary
Staff don't make decisions like that. That's Steve's thing. And I already said I don't agree with Steve on the anonymous comment thing. I think people should figure out who their real friends are. It's usually quite obvious.
0 likes [|reply]
20 Mar 2009, 22:39
Zombie Steve
Bloop Owner
No IP addresses were given out. Just the signatures of the users. It was a case of harassment and the user wanted to remove the people from their friends list.

Harassment is a legal issue, I'd rather the people dealt with it here than risk the possibility of it going elsewhere. Sometimes people don't like my decisions, but that doesn't mean they aren't the right decisions.
0 likes [|reply]
21 Mar 2009, 01:49
Enlightened By Life
He didn't give out the IP address. Any one of us can easily track IP addresses that visit our diary with a tracking tool. It's a piece of cake, actually, and I've been doing it for a long time.
0 likes [|reply]
21 Mar 2009, 01:59
TheLazyNinja
The congrats your in direct violation of the UA :)
0 likes [|reply]
20 Mar 2009, 19:52
TheLazyNinja
Oh yes one more thing. This is based on whisperings around bloop, I just want opinions and thoughts cause that idea that anyone could just give out my information cause they feel like it worries me.
0 likes [|reply]
20 Mar 2009, 19:56
TheLazyNinja
I also am hearing that account information is being givin to people who dont have a tie to an account. As ive said this is just stuff ive heard but i would like to hear what people think or if i am the only one to have heard this
0 likes [|reply]
20 Mar 2009, 20:02
TheLazyNinja
wow 4 of my own posts on the same forum thread http://www.bloopdiary.com/beautifulbrowneyes/for-s3v3n-and-juno on that entry one of the pictures you can see steve tell someone who left anon comments and say's they deserve whats coming...

Steve maybe you should take off anon comments if you are just going to tell people who it is?
0 likes [|reply]
20 Mar 2009, 22:35
Fake Diary
That is a lie. :)
0 likes [|reply]
20 Mar 2009, 22:37
ღPhoenix
what exactly is a lie kelly? im curious
0 likes [|reply]
20 Mar 2009, 22:51
Fake Diary
That Steve gave someones account information out. The only thing that was given out was the signature to the "harassing diaries".
0 likes [|reply]
20 Mar 2009, 22:55
ღPhoenix
how did michellas diary get hacked then? you tell me.....
0 likes [|reply]
20 Mar 2009, 23:11
Fake Diary
It wasn't. There's no other IP that has ever logged into her account. :)
0 likes [|reply]
20 Mar 2009, 20:02
~*Shannon*~
You are not the only one who has heard these things. I've heard from various people about both the IP Addresses being given on notes, as well as DA entries, and I have also heard of Steve giving out sign-in information for a diary to someone who doesn't own the diary. I can personally substantiate any of the claims, but they are things I have heard about in recent days.
This thread is locked, unable to reply
Online Friends
Offline Friends