Your Username:
Your Password:

[ sign up | recover ]

Discussion Forums » In The News
Too Fat to work?
0 likes [|reply]
17 Mar 2009, 21:07
•º. Spoon .º•
They have a combined weight of 83 stone and claim £22,000 in taxpayer-funded benefits on the basis they are ‘too fat to work’. Yet, incredibly, X Factor failure Emma Chawner's family from Blackburn are demanding more money - because they still can’t afford their calorie-laden lifestyle. Asked why they don’t simply go on a diet, the jobless Chawner family who are so obese their neighbours call them ‘the telly tubbies’ insist: ‘We don’t have the time.’ Emma, 19, famously appeared on the TV talent show in 2007 wearing a wedding-style dress made by her dad. She was kicked off after the first audition, but not before the family were evicted from their previous house after neighbours complained about her singing at 3am.

Both Philip Chawner, 53, and his 57-year-old wife Audrey weigh 24st. Their youngest daughter, Emma, is 5ft 3in and weighs 17st, while her older sister Samantha, 21, is 5ft 9in and weighs 18st. They haven’t worked in 11 years, claiming their weight is due to a hereditary condition.I nstead, the family spend their days in front of a television borrowed from a friend. Mr Chawner said: ‘We love TV. It’s on from the moment we get up. Often I’m so tired from watching TV I have to have a nap.’ Yet of their £22,508 a year in tax-free benefits - equivalent to a £30,000 salary - Mr Chawner said: ‘What we get barely covers the bills and puts food on the table. It’s not our fault we can’t work. We deserve more". The family claim to spend £50 a week on food, including chocolate, chips and pies, and consume 3,000 calories each a day. The recommended maximum intake is 2,000 for women and 2,500 for men.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1162503/The-real-telly-tubbies-X-Factor-failures-83-stone-family-claim-simply-fat-work.html

0 likes [|reply]
17 Mar 2009, 21:08
Chris
This has to be a joke. They can't be legally getting money if there is nothing stopping them from working.
0 likes [|reply]
17 Mar 2009, 21:08
•º. Spoon .º•
People like this DISCUST me... nasty people need to have their benefits wripped from their hands...
0 likes [|reply]
17 Mar 2009, 22:18
Kate.Monster
you mean disgust.

They don't even look that fat...
0 likes [|reply]
17 Mar 2009, 21:17
Acid Fairy
LOL ;D I heard about this earlier.

I am one of those people that think obesity is helped by genes as much as lifestyle, but I don't see why they couldn't have a desk job or work from home.
0 likes [|reply]
17 Mar 2009, 21:17
Acid Fairy
And I don't earn enough to be taxed so I can thankfully just laugh at stories like this without getting angry!
0 likes [|reply]
17 Mar 2009, 22:08
Lauren.
They get benefits for being too fat? Well, eff me. I've seen people who are a LOT fatter than these jokers, and they were working.
0 likes [|reply]
18 Mar 2009, 02:30
Just_live
There's no way.
They seriously give them money for that???

They need to get off their fat arses and get JOBS.
They don't look anywere near "to big" to work.
0 likes [|reply]
18 Mar 2009, 03:18
chelseaz
They are so not to fat to work. I've known bigger people that work just fine!
0 likes [|reply]
18 Mar 2009, 07:14
lithium layouts.
How can you get tired from watching TV? xD

And, to set the record straight: obesity (along with heart disease, cancer, and diabetes) are most often a combination of genetics AND environment (lifestyle). People seem to forget that.

I think that if someone *really* wanted to work, they would. Think of all the people with disabilities (e.g. blindness, deafness, paraplegia...) and mental illnesses who do actually have jobs. They may not be top-of-the-line jobs, but it's a way to keep busy, make money and foster self-worth and motivation.

To be honest, I find this story rather odd. I think it's more of a mish-mash of quotes taken out of context and a creative storyline than anything else. xD
0 likes [|reply]
17 Mar 2009, 21:18
.love.struck.
Too fat to work my ass. What I call people like them are a lost cause and lazy. Go get yourself on a diet and start being a little more active. We don't need people like this. They sound just as bad as Octomom.
0 likes [|reply]
17 Mar 2009, 21:19
Makayla
In the U.S. to be on welfare for disability you have to have an examine done by a doctor to determine if you are disabled or not. I mean I understand with them being so big now they couldn't do any hard labor. But they could work at a desk or do an online job (like mailing letters, etc.). There are so many lazy people in this world.
0 likes [|reply]
18 Mar 2009, 01:42
Jessica [Private]
Exactly!!

If they can get off their asses to go walk and get food, and prepare it, they can do a damned desk job.
0 likes [|reply]
17 Mar 2009, 21:23
Estella
GOSH, YO - THEY'RE NOT THAT FAT, YO! LIKE THEY MIGHT AS WELL GO ALL THE WAY AND BECOME TOTALLY OBESE PEOPLE WHO NEED A CRANE TO LIFE THEM OUT OF THEIR HOUSE. THEN THEY COULD GET ON THE TELLY, AND BE ON THOSE SHOWS ABOUT FATTIES, AND EARN MONEY THAT WAY!

'THE FAMILY CLAIMS TO SPEND £50 A WEEK ON FOOD'. WHAT - EACH, OR £50 FOR THE WHOLE FAMILY? THAT IS RATHER AMBIGUOUS.
0 likes [|reply]
17 Mar 2009, 21:26
~*Shannon*~
Can someone please convert the weights into pounds for me. Please.
0 likes [|reply]
17 Mar 2009, 21:28
Fiat
LOL I was thinking the same thing!
0 likes [|reply]
17 Mar 2009, 21:30
~*Shannon*~
Ok, Christina, here's what I found....

17 stone=238 pounds
18 stone=252 pounds
24 stone=336 pounds
0 likes [|reply]
17 Mar 2009, 21:29
~*Shannon*~
Nevermind. I find a converter.

Ok, here's the thing....the 5'3" girl who weighs 17 stone=238 pounds. That's my height, and what I weighed before I started losing weight. And I had absolutely no problem working. There were employers who didn't want to hire me because of my weight, but I DID get a job. And the job was NOT an easy job. I was on my feet all day, doing lots of bending and stretching and lifting and carrying.

Then again, I don't look anywhere near as big as any of them, so perhaps I have more muscle than fat. But still. 238 pounds is NOT too much to be able to work. It's just laziness, pure and simple.
0 likes [|reply]
17 Mar 2009, 21:33
~*Shannon*~
And another thing....

It’s not our fault we can’t work.

AND YET

‘We love TV. It’s on from the moment we get up. Often I’m so tired from watching TV I have to have a nap.’

Not their fault they're fat? If all you do is sit around and watch TV all day, it IS your fault you are fat. I'm sorry, but it's true. I'll say it right now, I AM A FAT PERSON. But you know what? I don't sit around on my fat ass all day watching TV. I get up off my butt and DO SOMETHING. And guess what? I'M LOSING WEIGHT BECAUSE OF IT.

Once again, laziness. Pure and simple.

And don't even GET me started on the calorie intake and how they GET those calories.

Not their fault their fat MY ASS.
0 likes [|reply]
17 Mar 2009, 23:34
.love.struck.
Haha, my thoughts exactly when I read "it's not our fault we can't work."

Sitting on your ass all day watching TV makes you fat. I'm far from being overweight but I do gain weight if I don't stay active and sit on my butt watching TV and eating all day. Walking 30 mins a day is proven to help you lose weight.
0 likes [|reply]
17 Mar 2009, 23:35
~*Shannon*~
And even IF they do have some hereditary genetic malfunction that causes them to be overweight, the exercise would AT LEAST buid up their immune systems AND stamina so they COULD work.

Lazy, lazy, lazy.
0 likes [|reply]
18 Mar 2009, 00:06
« Krisstah »
LOL!!
I weigh 240 and i can work!
0 likes [|reply]
18 Mar 2009, 01:43
Jessica [Private]
Oh lord, that's not even that big.
I used to work with a girl MUCH bigger than that!!
0 likes [|reply]
17 Mar 2009, 21:27
panda bear.
they all have the same chins!
0 likes [|reply]
17 Mar 2009, 23:55
Acid Fairy
I was totally thinking that! Like, I've seen people that fat with no double chins at all, but all the girls have HEE-UGE ones! They obviously have a double chin gene ;D
This thread is locked, unable to reply
Online Friends
Offline Friends