Your Username:
Your Password:

[ sign up | recover ]

Discussion Forums » General Discussion
Designer babies.
0 likes [|reply]
16 Mar 2009, 17:45
seasongster
we still have very little knowledge about how genes interact, activate/deactivate, or affect their intended targets. i don't think this is a good idea to fuck around with until we have far, far more information. who's to say that picking red hair, green eyes, no freckles, and a tendency to put on muscle easily isn't a perfect storm for some horrid genetic condition? there are few genes that do only one job, and we have no way of knowing what those extra jobs might be right now. this whole idea is yet another example of human arrogance, imo.
0 likes [|reply]
16 Mar 2009, 17:58
Betch.
Well, i dont agree with the thought of "designer babies", choosing hair color and eye color and sex is a BIT excessive. BUT. If they could develop a form of technology to like...eliminate any birth defects like hair lips or that demon baby syndrome thing, then that would be cool. Not everyone is lucky enough to have a healthy bouncing baby boy/girl, sometimes they come out and need surgery IMMEDIATELY. Infant surgery is NOT fun and the death toll on it is huge. So if they could invent a technology to make SURE that the baby is happy and healthy, i would absolutely use it. As for choosing the baby's cosmetic appearance? Please. That's just stupid and ignorant, and anyone wanting to do that, should never be a parent.
This thread is locked, unable to reply
Online Friends
Offline Friends