Your Password:

[ sign up | recover ]

Discussion Forums » General Discussion
Page:  1  2 
I gave my kids a terrible Christmas present
0 likes [|reply]
21 Dec 2011, 15:53
Estella
You know, I actually wondered if he has some kind of behavioural/neurological disability! His reaction seemed more like a genuine meltdown than the reaction of a spoilt brat - I actually found it quite uncomfortable to watch! Seems kind of cruel of the parents - I got the feeling that his home life isn't so great.
0 likes [|reply]
23 Dec 2011, 05:25
queenbutterfly
I disagree. I think his reaction is more of a "I cannot believe you got me this rather then the DS I told you to get me." He seemed to continue on in the meltdown/fit for a longer period of time which could indicate that he is trying to work his way into getting what he wants.
0 likes [|reply]
23 Dec 2011, 08:22
Estella
Well, obviously none of us can know for certain, and that's why I said 'I wondered' - I was suggesting a possibility, which I do think is a very real possibility, having worked with quite a few kids with behavioural/neurological disabilities. Insulting one's parents isn't a manipulative thing - it's a rather stupid thing to do if one is hoping to work one's way into getting what one wants! Seems more like a reaction of anger and distress to me. We don't know the time period over which he carried it on, as the video is split up, but people with such disabilities often do take a long time to calm down.

At the same time, of course he could just be a spoilt brat, or he could be distressed because he gets bullied for being girly, as Shadowscapes suggested - we don't have any way of knowing for certain. If it's a diagnosed disability, one would hope the parents wouldn't be so cruel to play such a trick and videorecord it - so could be behavioural issues/learnt poor coping responses, based on parenting. I observe his parents aren't telling him such behaviour is unacceptable, but are simply following him round with a videorecorder, asking him faux-naive questions.
This thread is locked, unable to reply
Online Friends
Offline Friends