Your Username:
Your Password:

[ sign up | recover ]

Discussion Forums » Political Debate
8-year-old confronts Bachmann
0 likes [|reply]
7 Dec 2011, 02:18
SoA
Personally I think the kid rocks & voiced his opinion without being coached by his moms. But I'm wondering how others on here view it. I've already been called stupid, so please no bashing? I understand we all have difference of opinions, but that doesn't mean you can call me stupid, or any other name you can think of.

GOP presidential candidate Michele Bachmann learned that protesters often come in adorable packages. A video captures the Minnesota congresswoman greeting 8-year-old Elijah and his mom at a signing event for Bachmann's book, "Core of Conviction: My Story," in South Carolina.

The candidate, who is an outspoken opponent of same-sex marriage, met her match with the soft-spoken, pint-sized activist. The video shows Bachmann leaning in to listen closely as the youngster whispers, "My mommy's gay, but she doesn't need fixing."

Bachmann bolts back up and manages a "bye bye" as mother and son walk away.

This isn't the first time that Bachmann has faced challenges to her stand on gay rights from the younger set. Last week, Bachmann was questioned by a teen about her opposition to gay marriage.

You can watch the video of Bachmann and 8-year-old Elijah in the video here.
0 likes [|reply]
7 Dec 2011, 04:53
Conservative Values
it is amusing that the liberals best defense is an 8 year old boy.
0 likes [|reply]
7 Dec 2011, 06:31
SoA
CV, man, I completely forgot about you. Well, this should make this posting interesting.
0 likes [|reply]
10 Dec 2011, 15:19
xoxo♥
FYI Conservative Values. No one pays attention to the shit you spout off anymore.
0 likes [|reply]
7 Dec 2011, 21:26
Lovin'MyLittles
My daughter is 10.. she is quite opinionated about things.. but I don't think, as opinionated as she is, that she would ever say "Hey, I want to go up to that politician and tell her [xyz]" - but I think that's more my child's personality. If it's something she's extremely passionate about, she might go right up and voice her opinion and not think twice about it. I can't say that this kid was coached, but it looks like he was either coached or highly encouraged to do it.

I think it's one think to teach a child about gay rights (which I HIGHLY support and teach my children about it, and encourage them to support equality) but I have to say that I think it's highly inappropriate for an 8 yr old to be doing this. Opinionated or not, educated (or coached) or not, the child should not have been any where near "Occupy Myrtle Beach" and a child this young shouldn't be in the forefront of issues like this. They are just too young and their opinions are often molded on what they hear from others, not by forming their own.
0 likes [|reply]
9 Dec 2011, 16:52
SoA
That's a good point. I didn't think of that & I have to agree young children should not be anywhere near an Occupy "Whatever" movement. To me he looked nervous & kind of shy, so maybe he wanted to & was pushed a little to actually go up to her & say it. I'm just hoping it helps make people realize that gay Americans can have families, in fact more often than not they are a shit load more functional than straight American families((at least in my experience it seems this way)), & their children will not be traumatized by the fact that they have two dads or two moms or whatever half cocked idea they have about what will happen to the children. Yes, they might have goofed a bit by having their son go & "confront" Bachmann, but all parents goof. There is no rule book, no this way is right & that way is wrong in parenting. There are just situations that you either make the right call in or the wrong call. If it was wrong, you learn from it & move on.

As to parents that shouldn't raise children, it doesn't matter if you are straight, gay, purple with puke green polka-dots; some people just should not be parents & that's based off those that leave their kids while they get high, or they're molesters. Their sexual orientation((gay, straight, trans)) doesn't determine if they will be a great parent or not.
0 likes [|reply]
7 Dec 2011, 04:50
love♥nik
I thought it was cute. I love how she doesn't have a reaction to his feelings and doesn't know what to say.
0 likes [|reply]
7 Dec 2011, 05:56
& skull.
how does one explain to a child they're a biggoted fucktard?
0 likes [|reply]
7 Dec 2011, 06:32
love♥nik
@Ev pretty much. It's one thing to spew hate at adults, let them try to children.
0 likes [|reply]
7 Dec 2011, 06:31
SoA
I loved how she looked at the mom like "Wait, seriously?" Like yes woman, children actually understand that you're homo-phobic woman. Especially children that are raised to believe that everyone is equal.
0 likes [|reply]
7 Dec 2011, 06:35
& skull.
i'm sorry but i don't really believe he wasn't coached. he was being filmed by his mother. as much as this is still a fuck you to her, that was a set up plain and simple.
0 likes [|reply]
7 Dec 2011, 06:47
SoA
@ skull: from what the caption on the video said they were there for the occupy myrtle beach and their son wanted to say that to her but got shy and it took him a while to get his nerves back. I think it also shows that kids now a days actually have opinions of their own. My sister is the same age as this boy & she's got quite a few opinions of her own. Sometimes I have to remind myself I'm talking to an eight-year-old not a eighteen-year-old. Kids pay attention to things more than they use to.
0 likes [|reply]
7 Dec 2011, 07:34
& skull.
just because that's what the caption says, doesn't mean it's true. some kids might be more opinionated/smart at that age than others, yes, but i find it hard to believe this kid knows much about bachmann outside of whatever his mothers have told him, and it's probably something along the lines of "this stupid woman thinks we need to be fixed for being gay". i think at that age i'd be annoyed at anyone for thinking my parents needed fixing for any reason, but come on, he's 8. what does he know of politics and stances on sexuality? he loves his mothers, and they have told him of this woman's ridiculousness. maybe he did want to tell her off, but he certainly didn't do it without some sort of coaching. if he had, there'd have been no camera. it would've just been something he did. instead it's a stunt to make this already stupid woman, look bad.
0 likes [|reply]
7 Dec 2011, 15:26
SoA
That's a good point. If he did it on his own, which is how I saw it, that's awesome. If he did it because his parents told him too, than I would have to agree that it's wrong of his parents to make him do that.
0 likes [|reply]
9 Dec 2011, 12:29
Estella
Kids do have opinions of course. And their opinions are formed by what their parents and those around them say. This kid loves his mum, he's bound to have heard his mother expressing opinions on gay rights and all the politics surrounding it, and he's bound to have had his mother explain to him that she is gay and that being gay doesn't mean anything is wrong with you, but that some people think that it does mean this. And of course he's going to believe his mother is right, and will follow her line of argument, because that's the argument he's had explained to him, in detail, by the person in the world who means the most to him. Whether or not she coached him, she's bound to have had a huge influence on his opinions. As all mothers do on their children, whatever opinions they hold. Parents bring up their children teaching the values they believe in - it would be daft not to. This child would of course have different views if he'd been brought up with a mother with very different views.

So it's really not as simple as a question of whether this was all his idea or his mother's. It's bound to be influenced by his mother - so it's more about who put the idea directly into words first. I can imagine a child, hearing his mother talk about how that mean woman thinks she needs fixing, might say 'I want to go and tell her that you don't need fixing!' It's natural for a kid to want to defend his mother. And the mother might then have said 'Of course you can - that would be an amazing thing to do! I'll film it and you'll be all famous for speaking up and doing the right thing!' Equally, it could have gone more like this: 'OMG! She thinks I need fixing! I don't need fixing, do I?' 'No, Mom.' 'Do you fancy going up there to tell her? Otherwise she might try to do scary things to me!' 'Er, okay Mom.' Most likely, it was probably somewhere in the middle of these two!
0 likes [|reply]
10 Dec 2011, 05:47
.jane.
I think the 8 year old was set up and coaxed into telling Michele that. Michele's awesome...that 8 year old needs a good swift kick in the ass.
0 likes [|reply]
10 Dec 2011, 05:50
SoA
What about her do you like?
0 likes [|reply]
10 Dec 2011, 05:53
.jane.
The fact that she's trying to throw out gay marriage as a whole and the fact that she's also a religious woman who's trying to bring back some form of religion back into the government.
0 likes [|reply]
10 Dec 2011, 06:28
SoA
Okay, why shouldn't people that are gay not be allowed to marry? And what about separation of Church & State?
0 likes [|reply]
10 Dec 2011, 06:28
SoA
Wow, sorry that was a double negative. Why shouldn't people that are gay be allowed to marry?
0 likes [|reply]
10 Dec 2011, 19:06
.jane.
Well...I have no problem with gays in general. It's just not morally right. Any person that claims to be a christian would believe this as well. It's not morally correct.
0 likes [|reply]
10 Dec 2011, 22:35
SoA
Why is it morally wrong?

And anyone that claims to be a Christian should remember that "thou shalt not judge"
0 likes [|reply]
10 Dec 2011, 22:57
xoxo♥
EXACTLY!
0 likes [|reply]
11 Dec 2011, 00:32
SoA
And that is what gets me. I have friends and family that are Christen & honestly they are the most judgemental people I know. It baffles me.
0 likes [|reply]
11 Dec 2011, 01:23
xoxo♥
Same here. I don't get it eitther. The high and mighty attitude and just being close minded.
This thread is locked, unable to reply
Online Friends
Offline Friends