Your Username:
Your Password:

[ sign up | recover ]

Discussion Forums » In The News
Baby's palate/food memories developed in the wom
0 likes [|reply]
10 Aug 2011, 00:04
kein mitleid
Uh, pretty sure all women crave chocolate. Like all the time.
0 likes [|reply]
10 Aug 2011, 00:13
*Forever Changing*
@ kein not me. I hate chocolate except when I am pregnant and even then I crave like one bar a month.
0 likes [|reply]
10 Aug 2011, 06:23
Jessica
@Kein: Untrue! I never want chocolate. I have maybe like a snack-sized hershey bar a year, at christmas time.
0 likes [|reply]
9 Aug 2011, 18:01
Emily the Strange
I asked my mum what she really craved when she was pregnant with me, and she said kumquats and fried chicken... I love fried chicken, but HATE kumquats. My body is rebelling against my mother. I love it. lol
0 likes [|reply]
9 Aug 2011, 18:31
Beautiful Lies
Kumquats are weird. A little too sour for me.

My mom told me that Chinese Food sent her into labor. It worked with both my birth and my sisters! Weird right!?
0 likes [|reply]
9 Aug 2011, 19:11
Chris
I'm not a picky eater. I won't eat snails, though.
0 likes [|reply]
9 Aug 2011, 20:55
HorrorVixen XO
LN: I asked my mom what she craved while pregnant with me & she said McDonalds fries (I know its badd) but she said it was b.c they were just salty & yummy. I love their fries!

I craved PB&J sandwiches with my daughter & she hatessss them! My son, on the other hand, loves them(that's his choice food for breakfast)!! I only had 2 while pregnant with him.
0 likes [|reply]
10 Aug 2011, 06:03
& skull.
every kid in my family [cousins included] have been picky eaters, but we all eventually grew out of it. i don't think that makes me stupid though. i think it just means there are certain textures and tastes i'm not into. i'll eat carrots raw, but i hate them cooked. it's just a thing.
0 likes [|reply]
10 Aug 2011, 06:22
Jessica
@skull: LOL! I love cooked carrots, but I hate them raw! ;D
0 likes [|reply]
10 Aug 2011, 06:41
& skull.
i prefer veggies raw. potatoes and peas are like the only things i can do cooked.
0 likes [|reply]
10 Aug 2011, 08:48
MindaHeyHey
i'll have to ask my mom what she liked.

in any case i'm an extremely picky eater in some cases. i just know what i like and don't like...i'm very adamant about it. maybe i can't say i'm too picky because i'll try anything once but i refuse to eat lima beans and peas. that hasn't changed since i was little and i don't see that happening.

i'm not too big on sweets myself. my mom told me growing up i'd rather eat vegetables more than anything and i'm still the same way. then again growing up we weren't offered candy a lot, maybe once in a great while and there was rarely any soda in the house.
0 likes [|reply]
11 Aug 2011, 08:51
once.upon.a.time.
I actually think that's a bad statement and of, course it will cause arguments because "picky" eaters will think (rightfully so) that you are calling them dumb, which is a bit harsh. Because you are a picky eater that makes you dumb? Everyone has different tastes. I don't think that means they are DUMB.

However, my mom ate a lot of spicy and Mexican food when she was pregnant with me and I LOVE spicy food. I will eat jalepenos PLAIN and hot Chili peppers. I love Tabasco sauce on almost everything. ;D My fiance, of course, thinks I am nuts. But I looove stuff that makes my nose run or puts a little spice in my meal. ;D
0 likes [|reply]
11 Aug 2011, 11:57
LN
I can understand how my comment made it sound that way- What I had meant was that if you have sucky eating habits you will pass that onto your child.

i.e. if you eat mcdonalds, then your kid will also eat mcdonalds.
if you eat a variety, your child will also eat variety.

and unless something changes as they grow up- they will probably pass those eating habits onto their children. That is what i think is stupid: breeding if you eat poorly.

let the flaming begin!
0 likes [|reply]
11 Aug 2011, 14:04
kein mitleid
Most people shouldn't breed period.
0 likes [|reply]
11 Aug 2011, 15:43
Emily the Strange
@kein: smartest thing ever said on the forums. ever.
0 likes [|reply]
11 Aug 2011, 14:39
SugarNSpice Surveys
haha no! Your comment didn't. I read other comments that said about "picky eaters" being dumb, but your comment did not actually sound that way when I read it! So, I apologise if I sounded like I was being critical. But I do agree that people do and can pass down their eating habits.
0 likes [|reply]
11 Aug 2011, 14:43
Madeline Rain
A lack of curiosity regarding food is just the tip of the iceberg. If you’re not willing to try new foods, I can bet that you’re not willing to try new things because they’re unfamiliar. This close mindedness breeds stupidity. Unfortunately, stupid people tend to breed way more than non-stupid ones.
Also, ARE YOU EFFING KIDDING ME? There are people starving in Somalia, and here we are, justifying people’s unwillingness to eat what’s put in front of them? Perspective, is our friend, people!
0 likes [|reply]
11 Aug 2011, 15:34
Estella
If people are choosy about what they eat, why should that need to be justified? People are choosy about all kinds of things if they can afford to be so. I'm choosy about the kind of music I listen to. If I had no music available to me, maybe I'd be less choosy, but as it is, I have a choice and am able to select. I grew up with not enough to eat, so I couldn't afford to be choosy, but now I'm an adult and can choose, I do.
0 likes [|reply]
11 Aug 2011, 15:38
Madeline Rain
There is a difference between choosing your food carefully and not eating something because you just don't want to bother. I try not to eat overly processed foods, but that's an educated choice based on what works best with my body. Saying you won't eat something because of "texture" or whatever else just shows what an overprivileged society we have all become.
0 likes [|reply]
11 Aug 2011, 15:47
Estella
On the other hand, people on the autism spectrum can have genuine sensory issues with texture, so their choice not to eat them may also be what's best for their body. The reasons people might not eat something are not always clearcut.

Besides, if certain textures are uncomfortable for someone, whether they're on the autism spectrum or not, why should they be forced to eat them if they have a choice? I choose to wear clothes that are very soft and comfortable, and I avoid clothes with certain textures or shapes due to discomfort. You could say this shows how overprivileged our society is, that I am able to make this choice. And it's true that in a less-privileged society this is a choice I may well not have. But I do have the choice. So I exercise it.

Your choice to avoid overly processed foods could also be seen as a sign of our overprivileged society. It's a choice you have and are able to exercise - not everyone may have this choice. Similarly, not everyone will have had the opportunities to be as educated as you are regarding food. But the thing is, you've got the choice, you've had the education, so why not use it.
0 likes [|reply]
11 Aug 2011, 17:06
Madeline Rain
I am not talking about people with autism. I am referring to the people who will not eat something on their plate because "they have a problem with it". It's wasteful and irritates me to no end to think about the tons of food we waste every day while some are dying of hunger.

Of course my choices of food are a sign of our over provileged society! If I were starving there's no way I'd refuse a twinkie, even though I've never eaten one in my life. But that's not what I was referring to in the above paragraph.

0 likes [|reply]
11 Aug 2011, 17:20
Estella
I didn't say you were talking about people with autism - I was mentioning them as an example of people who may have a problem with food textures. Since you mentioned food textures and all. If someone says they 'have a problem' with a certain food, you don't always know the reasons for this. It could well be an autism spectrum disorder, or a sensory difficulty - possibly undetected, or undisclosed.

Anyway, sadly it makes no difference to starving people whether we eat what's on our plate or not. And sometimes it's better not to eat all that's on our plate, if it's too much and going to make us gain weight or be sick, for instance. If I knew that eating all that was on my plate and making myself sick would save a starving person from dying, I'd do it - gosh, wouldn't it be nice to be able to save the plight of starving people in such a simple way. But as it is, since it makes no difference, why eat something if one doesn't have to and it won't make the slightest bit of difference to anyone?

Of course, if someone is making you a meal, it makes sense to tell them of any foods you don't eat beforehand, and it makes sense for them not to include those foods. And of course, if you are making your own meal, you won't put them in anyway. A bit of common sense is required!
0 likes [|reply]
11 Aug 2011, 19:23
~RedFraggle~
If I'm cooking for people I usually ask beforehand if there's things they don't eat. I love seafood but I know a lot of people who don't like it, so I would never expect them to eat it out of politeness. I'd rather make something else. That said, it's annoying when people are extremely picky/fussy and I think some people need to actually TRY foods before saying they don't like them.

I'll eat most things if they're put infront of me but I don't like the texture of pasta so I tend not to buy/cook it. Why would I? Still I'll eat it if someone else has cooked it. But I do appreciate my friend's not cooking curry if I'm coming to dinner!
0 likes [|reply]
11 Aug 2011, 19:29
Estella
I find that most people have certain foods that they would never try because the idea grosses them out - such as octopus, sushi, black pudding, frogs legs, snails, rabbit, snake, haggis, etc. I totally try everything, but that's just my personality, I think! I don't get annoyed with people who refuse to try certain foods, but I do find the people who try anything to be better company! ;D

Having said that, I would not eat live bugs or worms. Even dead worms. Unless they were prepared in a fancy way in a fancy restaurant! ;D
0 likes [|reply]
12 Aug 2011, 03:16
love♥nik
@Estella Haggis is something I def. wanna try eventually. Like... a bite b/c it both terrifies me and intrigues me. XD

I also refuse to eat anything w/ more than 4 legs (seafood excluded). Or w/ no legs like slugs. xD And worms.
This thread is locked, unable to reply
Online Friends
Offline Friends