Your Username:
Your Password:

[ sign up | recover ]

Discussion Forums » In The News
Baby's palate/food memories developed in the wom
0 likes [|reply]
8 Aug 2011, 12:43
LN
http://www.npr.org/2011/08/08/139033757/babys-palate-and-food-memories-shaped-before-birth

In other words: Your baby will eat like you when it's a human-being. (duh).

(something I found interesting-- they said this in the podcast version: it takes about 8-tries for a kid to learn to appreciate/like a certain flavor.)

Are you a picky eater? Blame your mom.
Do you love eating everything? Blame your mom.
Are you obese/have an eating disorder and don't want to blame yourself? Blame your mom!

In other words: If you eat poorly/have poor health, please don't breed--- because you'll just double the stupidity in the world. kthxbai! :)
0 likes [|reply]
8 Aug 2011, 20:13
Emily the Strange
Hah, that's an interesting article. You could totally sabotage your baby by eating nothing but garlic and sardines. That would be hilarious. lol
0 likes [|reply]
8 Aug 2011, 23:51
kein mitleid
It'd be more funny to only eat Nutraloaf. Wooo. That kid would have one fucked up palate.
0 likes [|reply]
8 Aug 2011, 23:53
Emily the Strange
Or Vegemite. Vegemite and Spam sandwiches.
0 likes [|reply]
8 Aug 2011, 23:56
kein mitleid
Haha, or maybe those nasty veggie burgers. Not the good ones, but the nasty ones that taste like yard-clippings.
0 likes [|reply]
8 Aug 2011, 23:41
Bellatrix Lestrange
I am definitely a picky eater! ^_^
0 likes [|reply]
8 Aug 2011, 17:45
Jessica
Being a picky eater doesn't make someone stupid. What an idiotic thing to say.

Kthxbai.
0 likes [|reply]
8 Aug 2011, 17:49
LN
It does if you decide to eat the wrong things!

The thing that popped into my head was things like:
"I refuse to eat sweet-and-sour chicken, but i'll eat mcdonalds chicken mcnuggets!" (I had a friend who wouldn't try/eat new foods because they were a "really picky eater".... she was also stupid. Come to think of it, I haven't met a single really intelligent person who was a really picky eater.)

prove me wrong!
0 likes [|reply]
8 Aug 2011, 18:06
Jessica
LOL. I'm an extremely picky eater, and I go to one of the best private schools in my state.
My class valedictorian is just as picky as I am. She just graduated from Georgetown and is going to Harvard for her masters.

I don't know how what you eat can correlate to how intelligent you are... but it sounds like a bunch of crap to me.

And for the record, sweet-and-sour anything is disgusting.
0 likes [|reply]
8 Aug 2011, 18:30
LN
well, I didn't go to Harvard (I went to a crappy school across the river from it, though!) but I did learn how to google! :)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/8308726/Food-for-thought-diet-does-boost-your-intelligence.html
http://myoptimalhealthresource.blogspot.com/2011/06/junk-food-diet-lowers-intelligence-in.html
http://www.aboutintelligence.co.uk/does-diet-play-role-intelligence.html

What foods do you NOT eat, ms. "I'm 'smart' AND a picky eater"?
0 likes [|reply]
8 Aug 2011, 17:50
LN
On the same note: I will now research if there is a correlation between the stuff that you will try to eat/things that you enjoy eating to your IQ (or at least how your brain processes information).
0 likes [|reply]
8 Aug 2011, 21:43
*Forever Changing*
You cant take what I eat while I am pregnant and correlate that with what I eat the rest of the time. I eat much more salt when I am pregnant because I crave it. I eat tons of pickles, and I actually like chocolate. I also eat nuts and peanut butter which I wont touch when I am not pregnant. Your body creates cravings based on what you need in your diet. I think its more important to introduce foods to your children after they are born. My daughters prefer veggies over anything including candy, because they do not get candy. My oldest daughter when given a choice to have ANYTHING for dinner including fast food will choose Fish, Rice and Broccoli every single time.

You can throw a million studies out there, and they can all disprove each other so for you to say intelligent people are not picky eaters is completely asinine. There is a disorder where people are AFRAID of trying new foods, that doesnt mean they are stupid, it means something in there brain tells them that its not healthy or its dangerous. My husband has a problem with food textures, not the taste which makes him pickier then most. He won't eat celery or uncooked onions. Put them in a stew and he loves it. There are many factors that come into being picky:: texture, color, appearance, and taste are just a few.

And eating disorders is another can of worms. Eating disorders have to do A LOT with the chemistry and how your brain rewards you.

This thread seems to me as a way for you to call picky people stupid, or at least thats what I have viewed in your responses ;)
0 likes [|reply]
8 Aug 2011, 23:42
Bellatrix Lestrange
PS: Thanks mum LOL!
0 likes [|reply]
8 Aug 2011, 23:53
kein mitleid
Well, I'm smarter than all of you, and I'm a semi-picky eater. I don't eat food that doesn't taste good, and I don't eat the many-legged (more than four) creatures. They're disgusting.

CIP: Anecdotal evidence is not a valid counter-argument in a debate.
0 likes [|reply]
9 Aug 2011, 00:42
love♥nik
@Kein I do agree that you are smarter than me. XD
0 likes [|reply]
10 Aug 2011, 00:08
kein mitleid
An intelligent post!
0 likes [|reply]
10 Aug 2011, 00:33
love♥nik
@kein IKR?!?!?!??! ;) It's amazing.

Also, I actually don't rly like chocolate. I do tend to crave it every once in awhile on my period, but as a whole, I'd rather have strawberry or vanilla. :)
0 likes [|reply]
8 Aug 2011, 23:55
holdtehpickles
I'm not much of a picky eater, it helped to grow up poor. Eat what was given or don't eat at all.
Nowadays I try anything once, though I have someone who nags me to do this, aha.
I do have food that I can't stand though. It's mostly textures that can make me dislike the food.

I think my mother is a picky eater though, at least, I know she's not an adventurous one.
However, when she was pregnant with me, she ate cherries with tuna fish.. That's not a part of my current diet.
So from my experiences I call the article bull.
0 likes [|reply]
8 Aug 2011, 23:57
holdtehpickles
I'm not really going to comment on my intelligence.
I have my moments of brilliance, and I have my moments of idiocy.
0 likes [|reply]
9 Aug 2011, 01:43
Betch.
I'm far too uninterested to read everyone's comments so i'm just going to say this. Your diet has no holding on how smart/stupid you are, unless you're eating styrofoam and washing it down with battery acid. I've got a pretty diverse pallate and i love trying new foods, it hasn't made me any more or less intelligent, it's just made me fat as fuck. Also this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANL_pevZEAY
0 likes [|reply]
9 Aug 2011, 02:14
Chris
I believe you more than I believe a professional study. True fax.
0 likes [|reply]
9 Aug 2011, 02:20
KerriBlue
I won't comment on the intelligence arguement that appears to be going on right now.

I will say however, that I know when my mother was pregnant with me - she craved bread and butter or toast and butter (pretty sure it was both)...Unfortunately she passed this on to me because now when I'm craving food - it's usually bread and butter (or toast and butter).

My sister is the same, I can't remember what food it is, but my mother ate it when she was pregnant with my sister and now when ever my sister craves food - it's exactly that.

I wouldn't use this concept as an excuse though. I know there's a heck of a lot of food that I eat and I love to eat - but my mother wouldn't even consider trying it. Actually it goes the other way too...there's a few foods I can think of that my mother has eatten practically her whole life, but I wouldn't touch it. So I guess while there probably is truth to this article..I wouldn't take it as gospel.
0 likes [|reply]
9 Aug 2011, 12:16
LN
To all--

after talking to my mom about this last night, she commented that she ate a LOT of chocolate when she was pregnant with my brother. After he was born (and for the first year or so) all he wanted was chocolate milk. It's all he seemed to crave.

With me, it was peanut butter and butter. (Apparently i just ate sticks of butter as a small child).

so--- those who are pregnant, or those who still have mothers- I encourage you to ask! What did your mom eat a lot of, and did you want/demand those things as a toddler (up to a year old). ?
0 likes [|reply]
12 Aug 2011, 08:55
xoxo♥
My mom craved pickles and cherry Icees. Today those are my 2 fave snacks. I have pickles galore in my house and I frigging love Icee's!!!!! :)
0 likes [|reply]
9 Aug 2011, 17:49
Beautiful Lies
Going to "the best" college in your state or whatever means nothing. I know plenty of people that are in college and are dumb as a bag of fucking marbles. State College, Private College, University, it doesn't matter where you go. There are morons everywhere. Colleges let idiots enroll, they don't care as long as they get money. Now whether these morons are picky eaters or not? I have no idea because I don't want to be anywhere near them.

I'm a semi-picky eater (there are a few things I don't like the taste or texture of etc) and I'm intelligent (not brilliant). However I do crave (during times of high stress and or 'lady times') all the things my mom craved when she was preggasaurus rex with me: namely Mexican and Chinese food. And chocolate. Delicious.
This thread is locked, unable to reply
Online Friends
Offline Friends