[ sign up | recover ]

Discussion Forums » In The News
Page:  1  2 
Mother microwaved baby
0 likes [|reply]
7 Jul 2011, 06:30
Poetic Justice
http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/308415

Anyone else here getting tired of saying "Wow, what's wrong with people nowadays?!" I have no idea how old this story is, so I apologize if it's old news. It's sure new to me...
0 likes [|reply]
7 Jul 2011, 07:34
Jessica
Some people :(

The article says it's from this month... but I remember reading a similar story years ago. It's unfortunate how many people suffer without children, while people like this get them.
0 likes [|reply]
7 Jul 2011, 11:39
The Crafting Wife
sickening - there are SO manyppl out there that wants a baby and she cant even appericate it... i hope she is put away for life
0 likes [|reply]
7 Jul 2011, 13:59
lithium layouts.
I don't know whether people are actually crazier and more shocking nowadays, or whether there are just more tools/technology to do crazy things, and more ways to report it when it does happen. Or maybe the technology is actually making us crazier...
0 likes [|reply]
8 Jul 2011, 02:31
Lovin'MyLittles
You know, I don't know the circumstances and I'm not going to read the article... and I'm sure there's 1000 people who will disagree with me here. But, my thoughts? My own, personal thoughts on the topic?

Moms are out of touch with their babies. There are less women breastfeeding than there used to be. They follow old advice (bad advice) to train babies to sleep. They don't hold their babies as often as they should (for fear of 'spoiling' them). They are forced to spend less time with their children due to the financial demands of life and they're sending their newborns to sitters and day care instead of spending the first year or two at home.

No, formula feeding doesn't mean you'll suffocate your kid. God knows breastfeeding Moms can be just as nutty. I'm just saying and I can provide studies if I need to, breastfeeding is a hormonal thing as well as just feeding your baby. Co-sleeping encourages bonding and facilitates a relationship with Mom & baby. Baby wearing, etc. Women are becoming desensitized to their babies cries and they're getting stressed to the max when baby cries and they can't handle it.

Just my two cents, for what it's worth. I think we're suffering as a whole when it comes to our children.
0 likes [|reply]
8 Jul 2011, 13:33
Madeline Rain
@ *-.Stephanie.-* :

So your solution to crazy baby killers is to keep women barefoot and pregnant, with a child on their boob at all times? Good job, women's revolution!
0 likes [|reply]
8 Jul 2011, 21:07
American
@Madeline Rain: she did say the "first year or two." Not "all times." Jumping to the broadest generalization possible is silly. She said neither barefoot nor continuously pregnant.
0 likes [|reply]
11 Jul 2011, 13:27
Lovin'MyLittles
@ Madeline Rain, Red Fraggle, and Transit:

1. I never said to have baby killers barefoot and pregnant, with a child on their boob at all times.
2. I also said that I think women are spending less time with their children and it is damaging their relationship with these children - I did NOT say they should never work, etc. I expressed that it was strictly my opinion and I STILL stand behind my opinion that we are doing a great disservice to our children by not giving them the things they need.
3. I also said that formula feeding over BF'ing doesn't mean you'll suffocate your kid and that breastfeeding Moms can be JUST as nutty - so in no way was I implying that breastfeeding was the "fix all" solution to this problem.
4. I did breastfeed and co-sleep with my daughter. I breastfed my daughter until she was 8 or 9 months old - so I'm not quite so sure where Transit got that information from?

There are most certainly other things that go into factor with this - as Alison mentioned - post natal psychosis is entirely possible. I'm just saying, that children are meant to be breastfed, stay close to their parents, etc. When these things don't happen, our bond with our children can suffer (*CAN suffer: not WILL suffer*) and it can make us less sensitive to their needs. I think it's entirely reasonable to say that perhaps it's something to think about as we are seeing more Post Partum Psychosis and Post Partum Depression.
0 likes [|reply]
11 Jul 2011, 17:29
~RedFraggle~
I only actually referred to one of those things, so I'm
not sure why my comments are being lumped together with the others (some of which were ridiculous). That said, I stand by what I said... You can hand whatever opinions you want on what you view to be the problems with parenting these days, however those opinions are IRRELEVANT to this particular case, because breastfeeding/co-sleeping etc have NOTHING to do with why this mum did what she did. Buy clearly you thought it did, or you wouldn't have mentioned it in the first place!
0 likes [|reply]
11 Jul 2011, 17:39
~RedFraggle~
I'd also like to point out that the things a child NEEDS include food and a roof over their heads. For Manu families, to provide that the mother HAS to work. I think it's very judgemental to claim that mums who work are doing a "disservice" to their children. Also, in some professions it may be possible to stay at home for 4 years until the kid is in school, then go back to work once they're older. In my profession that is not possible... I would become dangerously de-skilled in that time. I could never go back after so long off. Furthermore, it would be a disservice to my patients to do so. One day when i have kids i will most likely take 9 - 12 months maternity leave, and will probably work part time for a few years (if my future husband's salary allows this!). 

My mum worked as a nurse when I was a child and I am PROUD to have a mother who gave her time to help people who were sick and needed her (even if we did have to share her). I hope my children will feel the same way one day. I do not feel our bond has suffered as a result, and it meant our dad spent more time with us too (he worked days and my mum worked evenings when we were very young). 

But yeah, I think it's kind of rude to suggest working mums are doing a "disservice" to their kids, particularly when you don't have any idea what their reasons may be for doing so.
0 likes [|reply]
11 Jul 2011, 17:41
~RedFraggle~
That should be many families, not Manu! (iPhone autocorrect!)
0 likes [|reply]
11 Jul 2011, 19:23
Lovin'MyLittles
@RedFraggle - I lumped them all together so as not to create 3 different responses and I replied to certain points for each of your individual responses. I wasn't implying you said certain things, it was just easier that way.

I do believe that MANY Moms suffer PPD as a result of hormonal imbalances after birth - isn't that what PPD is? Well, PPD can be lessened or avoided altogether by breastfeeding. Again, I did not say THIS case in particular was caused by that. I just said, in general, that's my opinion of why there are SO many more cases of PPD, etc.

I worked with my daughter - I was at home for her first year and then went back to school and work, etc. I worked full time & I went to school full time until she was almost 7. I did what I had to do, as I know many other Moms and Dads do what they have to do. Does it mean it's GOOD for our children? No, it doesn't. I missed out on a lot with my daughter and I wish it could've been differently. I'm not pointing fingers at all parents, and I'm not saying that all parents are god awful parents for working. Does not change the fact that our children would be better off at home, with their parents, instead of a daycare.

I don't think working Moms are doing a disservice to their children. I know things are different in the UK than the USA - but here, most Moms are lucky to get 6 weeks of maternity leave. LUCKY to get 6 weeks and I know a lot of Moms who are back to work full time by 4-5 weeks. Is THAT good for their newborn babies? ABSOLUTELY NOT.
0 likes [|reply]
11 Jul 2011, 19:44
~RedFraggle~
Oh come on, surely you know by now how much I hate people posting medical information/advice which is either incorrect or misleading or without good evidence to back it up. ;)

Well, PPD can be lessened or avoided altogether by breastfeeding.

Umm, no. It MIGHT be the case that women who haven't been able to breastfeed successfully may be more likely to also have PPD. However the evience is FAR from conclusive on this, and studies have shown varying results (and are generally not particularly good studies in the first place). Furthermore, it is just as likely that women with PPD are more likely to give up breastfeeding BECAUSE of the PPD, rather than the other way around.

Read more here - http://bfmed.wordpress.com/2010/04/18/does-breastfeeding-prevent-postpartum-depression/

So to announce on a public forum that PPD can be lessened or avoided by breastfeeding not only has the potential to make those who have struggled to breastfeed and have also suffered PPD to feel bad and blame themselves, but is also incorrect based on current evidence. Honestly I'd expect better from someone entering the health profession.

I do agree that it is not good for babies to be seperated from their mothers at just 6 weeks (and I'm glad that doesn't happen here), however, I think it's unfair to blame the mother for that, when it is the system that is at fault.
0 likes [|reply]
11 Jul 2011, 19:51
~RedFraggle~
Oops, didn't close italics. Only the first line (your quote) should have been italics. :P
0 likes [|reply]
11 Jul 2011, 19:50
~RedFraggle~
Also, where is your evidence for there are SO many more cases of PPD?

I'm not aware of any evidence that PPD is any more common than it used to be. In fact I can't even find any evidence to suggest that the RECORDED incidence is any higher (which would be expected as medical professionals are generally better now than they were in the past at recognising it, as are women and their families).
0 likes [|reply]
12 Jul 2011, 06:32
American
@RedFraggle - I haaaaaate apple stuff. Have an iPad - suuuuucks.
0 likes [|reply]
8 Jul 2011, 14:04
~RedFraggle~
I really don't see the relevance of any of this to the story. This woman didn't microwave her baby because she wasn't breastfooding (for all we know she may have been a breastfeeding, co-sleeping SAHM!). I'd say the most likely thing is post-natal depression/psychosis. I have seen women with post-natal psychosis, and they can be extremely delusional. It is entirely possible that she didn't even realise what she was doing.

I think 'split personality' is unlikely (if such a condition even exists, which is contraversial, usually it's probably actually a dissociative disorder), but postnatal psychosis is entirely possible.

Women who breast feed, who co-sleep, who hold their babies all the time, can STILL get postnatal depression (and psychosis). This woman didn't microwave her baby because she was "desenstized" to it's cries, she did so because there was something seriously wrong with her... maybe she was psychotic, maybe she has a personality disorder, maybe she was on drugs, but something wasn't right with her.

Also, although slightly off topic, I hate that breastfeeding, co-sleeping, holding your baby when they cry are all lumped together, as if every woman either does all of these things (and is a good mum) or none of them (and is a bad mum). When I have a baby I will fully intend to breastfeed it, and I will not be leaving it to cry (and I will be taking 9 - 12 months maternity leave, as is standard in the UK), however, I would never co-sleep because for me, the risks do not outweigh the questionable benefits.

I hate that some women are so judgemental of others to be honest, like if they don't do it your way they're a bad mother. There's more than one way of caring for a baby, but most of us wouldn't put our baby in the microwave!
0 likes [|reply]
8 Jul 2011, 20:15
~RedFraggle~
I totally just realised that I typed breastfooding instead of breastfeeding. Lol. Guess I'm pretty tired!
0 likes [|reply]
9 Jul 2011, 14:33
Khoquetishღ
Nobody could have put it in better words =]
0 likes [|reply]
11 Jul 2011, 03:47
.love.struck.
I don't think the lack of bonding with babies has to do what this woman did. This woman was either dealing with post pardon depression or she was not right in the head to begin with. Sadly, not every mom out there has a husband/ significant other or a husband that has a good job to support the family without a second income. Times are tough right now. I refuse to let my son co-sleep with me for many reasons.
0 likes [|reply]
8 Jul 2011, 18:38
Bellatrix Lestrange
That is absolutely screwed up and heartbreaking!
0 likes [|reply]
7 Jul 2011, 07:43
~Aiure
Meanwhile, in Canada (in my town, to be specific), http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-63043-1-.htm#63043

It's not nearly as bad as microwaving a child, but leaving a kid alone in 35+ degree heat, even completely accidentally (which I still have my doubts about in this case..), is way beyond the realm of stupid.
0 likes [|reply]
7 Jul 2011, 07:55
F C U K
For those older than me, wasn't there a case in the [I want to say mid 90's] where a woman put her baby in a freezer? I am curious about the case and want to research it. I remember hearing about it but I had to be 7-9 then. I like reading about crime, I read A LOT in my insomniac states. Does anyone remember it? Sorry to go off topic, I've been looking for that case.
0 likes [|reply]
7 Jul 2011, 14:56
Alex's Momma
ya know, it's not east being a parent, but just cause you are having an "off" day is NO reason to put your kid in a microwave! or any of the OTHER crazy(cause i can't think of a better word at the moment) things people have done to their poor kids. sigh. that poor poor baby. and all the others who have fallen victim to things similar to this. if you don't want your kid, at least give it a fighting chance and put it up for adoption or SOMETHING. you don't just stick it in the microwave like it's a bag of popcorn! ick.
seriously, people make me sick. sigh.
0 likes [|reply]
7 Jul 2011, 15:09
Beautiful Lies
What really creeps me out about this article was this statement: After three months of investigative work, that included comparing the infant's injuries to those of three other babies who died after being placed in a microwave oven...

Meaning that three OTHER children had been placed in fucking microwaves and died that way. *shudder* What the hell is wrong with people?
This thread is locked, unable to reply
Online Friends
Offline Friends