[ sign up | recover ]

Discussion Forums » General Discussion
Royal Wedding...
0 likes [|reply]
29 Apr 2011, 08:29
Lady Lazarus
Anybody watching this morning?

Why or why not?

I'm not a royalist but I've developed a love of British history this year and am quite excited to see a bit of history in the making.

And I'm fully aware of the fact that due to the nature of this thread, it will probably die quite quickly lol.
0 likes [|reply]
29 Apr 2011, 13:15
BeautifulBrownEyes
I'll be watching the replay of it because I want to see all the pomp and circumstance of it all. I wouldn't say I'm excited, but I do think it's fun to watch history taking place.
0 likes [|reply]
29 Apr 2011, 13:15
Giggle
My family and I watched it. We weren't planning on it but we were flipping through the channels and all the weird hats the ladies were wearing caught our attention. =P Also, I think the fact that a British newspaper mentioned that the couple are gonna be spending part of their honeymoon in Jordan peaked people's curiosity here.
0 likes [|reply]
30 Apr 2011, 04:44
Lady Lazarus
Do you mean Beatrice and Eugene? Weird hats is a bit of an understatement... one of them looked like they were wearing a giant pretzel on their head ha :) Crazy!
0 likes [|reply]
29 Apr 2011, 09:07
& skull.
i'm not. don't really care. don't really understand why aussies would be interested. i get why people in britain might be though.
0 likes [|reply]
29 Apr 2011, 09:55
~RedFraggle~
I guess because a lot of Australians have British parents or grandparents. I understand an Australian interest more than the American interest.

I am British and I'm not even that interested. I'll probably watch some of it on TV just so I can tell my grandkids one day that I remember it. I do appreciate getting a free day off work though!
0 likes [|reply]
29 Apr 2011, 12:07
& skull.
i do, and i have no interest. and weirdly the people i know that are interested don't have british parents or grand parents. australia's weird.
0 likes [|reply]
29 Apr 2011, 12:46
~RedFraggle~
It also is a Commonwealth Country and formally part of the British Empire. So the country itself has British history, even if not all of it's residents are descended from Brits (although a large number are).

I think this is also why countries like Canada (also part of the Commonwealth) get excited about this stuff. I really don't understand the American excitement though.
0 likes [|reply]
30 Apr 2011, 01:37
& skull.
lol, i know we're part of the commonwealth. but we keep talking about splitting from it, then we get excited about a royal wedding.
0 likes [|reply]
29 Apr 2011, 11:34
.November.Butterfly.
no tv so not watching. do kind of feel i'm missing out a bit on a bit of history but don't have any of this patriotic and royalist stuff in me at all, but also if i did want to enjoy it my husband would probably wreck it as he's not big on the royal family anyway!
0 likes [|reply]
29 Apr 2011, 12:04
~*Pagan*~
Have strenously avoided it. Ghost Lab is on!!
0 likes [|reply]
29 Apr 2011, 13:30
mo0se
Personally, I have no interest in it at all, good on them for getting married but I'd hate for the world to watch my wedding lol! All I've had on facebook updates are either people whinging about it being on and nothing else on tv, or people talking about how excited they are
0 likes [|reply]
29 Apr 2011, 14:44
Madeline Rain
I find it appalling that the Obamas weren't invited. Not that I care about the wedding, but srsly?
0 likes [|reply]
29 Apr 2011, 15:07
Lady Lazarus
As far as I can tell other than our current prime minister the guest-list has very little to do with politics. That might be because they are the royal family and not the government. Ever since the end of the commonwealth in England, the monarchy has been separate from the government. I noticed a few other royals from other countries at the ceremony, but no presidents or prime ministers other than our own. The vast majority of the guest list however were family and friends, pretty much the norm for a wedding. Why do you think the Obamas should have been invited? Just curious...
0 likes [|reply]
29 Apr 2011, 15:17
Madeline Rain
Because he's the President of the United States, and last time I checked, the U.S and England were BBFs, and most importantly, allies.
0 likes [|reply]
29 Apr 2011, 16:20
Lady Lazarus
Yes they are allies in government but like I said, the Royals are seperate from the government these days. If David Cameron were getting wed I'm sure he'd have had the Obamas on the guest list (if he weren't already married that is) but Prince William has no government influence really, or a political agenda in getting married... the monarchy are more 'figureheads' for the UK.
0 likes [|reply]
29 Apr 2011, 16:22
Madeline Rain
I guess so. Still, I found it a little insulting. But oh, well. I guess they're entitled to invite whoever they want, just like everyone else.

0 likes [|reply]
29 Apr 2011, 16:25
~RedFraggle~
I agree completely. I see no reason why the Obamas should have been invited. If they were entitled to an invite then so are numerous other presidents/prime ministers (the Australian prime minister for example), and like you say, they weren't. It was mostly friends and family, just as it should be. The monarchy is completely separate from our government.
0 likes [|reply]
29 Apr 2011, 21:29
davidsengel82
The Australian Prime Minister (Julia Gillard) was invited and did attend. It's the only time anyone has ever seen her in a flattering outfit and one she hasn't recycled.
0 likes [|reply]
29 Apr 2011, 21:59
~RedFraggle~
That does make sense with Australia being a Commonwealth country.
0 likes [|reply]
1 May 2011, 09:13
Estella
Yes, exactly - a royal wedding is for friends and family, not a business/political thing at all. And even if it were, then yes, presidents and prime ministers from a whole host of countries would have had to be invited, rather than specifically just Obama. He is no more important than the others.

Good heavens, a quick google search reveals that America is actually seeing the Royal Wedding as a snub to Obama! Hahahaha! Check out the rumour that Snopes has cited: http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/weddingsnub.asp
0 likes [|reply]
1 May 2011, 09:41
~RedFraggle~
Oh, that's hilarious!
0 likes [|reply]
2 May 2011, 02:32
Avonlea@ITW
Just so you know, the whole "Obama not on the guest list" outrage is not as widespread as this thread and snopes are making it sound. Actually, nobody I know IRL cares a bit about it, or even the wedding itself. It seems to be only on Bloop that I run into conversations like this one.
0 likes [|reply]
4 May 2011, 04:11
*Ariana*
I agree with you. Not once have I heard it either!
0 likes [|reply]
4 May 2011, 21:32
starsmaycollide
oh my goodness, I just stopped to read the snopes rumor, and that is hilarious. I don't know anyone who believes that! lol. the media here simply noted he wasn't going, along with Gordon Brown, Tony Blair and many others . I didn't hear anything about the Royal Family being a bunch of meanies who didn't like him or the First Lady. ;-D
This thread is locked, unable to reply
Online Friends
Offline Friends