Your Password:

[ sign up | recover ]

Discussion Forums » In The News
Page:  1  2 
Burn The Koran (?/!)
0 likes [|reply]
8 Sep 2010, 23:29
KerriBlue
Ok - Someone HAD to do it and (un)forutnately it was me!

So by now you might have heard there is a Pastor in the United States who has decided to hold a "Burn the Coran" day. I'll post some infomation below. But I was interested to see how people would react to such a topic. Especially because we have such a broad range of beliefs here on bloop.

Go for it people:
"A pile of as many as 200 copies of the Koran will be burnt on a patch of lawn outside a small Christian church here on Saturday on the ninth anniversary of the 9/11 terrorist attacks in spite of calls to desist yesterday from the White House and the Vatican, one of its pastors told The Independent last night.

"We are pretty much set on it right now," insisted Dave Ingram, an associate pastor at the Dove Outreach Centre in Gainesville, which plans to stage what it is calling its "International Burn-A-Koran Day". He and the senior pastor at the church, Terry Jones, did not rule out suspending the event if called to do so "by God".

The campaign against the church, which has a congregation of only about 50, to change course continued to mount. The Vatican issued a statement calling the planned incineration "outrageous and grave". Mr Jones said he had received more than 100 death threats, and he and his associates were wearing guns in holsters."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/we-will-burn-hundreds-of-copies-of-the-koran-insists-florida-church-2074224.html

(This was one of MANY news sites currently discussing the issue)
0 likes [|reply]
8 Sep 2010, 23:30
KerriBlue
"Coran"? Yep..it's a baaaad spelling day for me. :(

Koran although technically it's suppose to be "Qur'an"
0 likes [|reply]
9 Sep 2010, 00:06
Music God CJ Plain
@Kerri: THANK YOU! One of my HUGEST pet peeves is people who misuse the term as Koran or Coran instead of the PROPER tern of Qur’an or القرآن
0 likes [|reply]
9 Sep 2010, 22:25
Opie's Old Lady
Koran is the correct spelling Qur'an in the american spelling of it.
0 likes [|reply]
9 Sep 2010, 22:25
Opie's Old Lady
**at least that was what I was cold
0 likes [|reply]
10 Sep 2010, 03:52
KerriBlue
@Summer♥Baby:

I do acknowledge that there is mutliple ways of spelling quite a number of things in this world. I just personally....and I don't think everyone has to thing the same or believe the same way.....personally I think it's showing respect to refer to somethings in their more traditional form. I mean, if I was going to go one step further, I'd refer back to the Arabic spelling, but I don't have such keys on my keyboard. Again, it's just a personal way of showing my respect to other people/places/cultures etc.

(and yes, no one needs to be a smartpants and point out that my orignal news post goes against what I just said haha)
(Oh and Summer♥baby: this post isn't really directed at you, I'm just replying to your post because they are related...but this is more a general post on the topic of spelling)
0 likes [|reply]
10 Sep 2010, 04:31
Opie's Old Lady
i get that and i wasn't try to come across as a smart ass or anything like. I was just saying I thought it was this way (Koran) because my friend from Lebon told me that.

I get the wanting to respect it with the correct spelling. I feel the same way about it
0 likes [|reply]
8 Sep 2010, 23:40
Chris
This church is no more than a mile up the street from me. I may head up there and capture some pictures and/or video of the idiot Christians burning the Koran, or the idiot Muslims threatening to blow shit up. Best case scenario, I get some good footage to sell to the media.

Rest assured, Bloop will get this footage first, and then I can send my diary over to the media, hoping to catch Bloop some publicity.
0 likes [|reply]
9 Sep 2010, 01:58
starsmaycollide
It's unfortunate that anyone is giving a 50 member church this kind of attention. It is a lot like Westboro Baptist, which everyone knows is a bunch of crazy extremists, too.
0 likes [|reply]
9 Sep 2010, 21:41
Lovin'MyLittles
I think it's awful. We were founded on Religious Tolerance. This isn't tolerance.. this is pure ignorance. Yes. He has a right to burn the Qur'An, I understand that. However it doesn't make it right, or smart. I think President Obama is right - he's going to cause a big huge uproar. What would Christians do if they found out they were burning the bible? Oh, imagine the OUTRAGE at that! Sigh.

I also really dislike the fact that everyone is so against building a Mosque near the 9/11 site. It wasn't the religion that did it - it was religion extremists (like the a-hole who is threatening to burn the Qur'An! And also, if I believe right.. there was a Mosque near the 9/11 site BEFORE it happened. Sigh.
0 likes [|reply]
9 Sep 2010, 21:53
KerriBlue
@-AndBabyMakesFour!: It does bother me that A lot of people have that confused. The idea that their Religion teaches them to go bomb buildings and all the sort of thing. Like I said their religion contains peaceful teaches, it's just that some people are like you said extremists that take it too far. I watch far too many documentaries and it's interesting to learn that people who read and follow the Qur'an properly (the non-extremists) are actually really nice, smart, successful (etc) people walking around Australia, and I'm the United States and other countries, living perfectly peaceful lives. It's just unfortunate that there are extremists out there who give the whole lot of them a bad name.

But in saying that, it can also be said about Christians, most Christians are nice, smart, successful (etc) people as well, walking around living their lives peacefully, However there are one or two extremists that tend to drag the Christian name through the dirt. Which goes back to what I was saying about my friends when they say "Damn Christians!" it's not that they have an issue with Christians generally speaking, it's just usually one extremist giving the group a bad name.

I'm trying to be as clear as mud when I'm typing my responses on this forum, I really don't mean to offend anyone from any religion. I like to keep an open mind. Except Scientologist - I'm sorry but they can all get into their UFO and fly back to wherever they came from!
0 likes [|reply]
9 Sep 2010, 21:54
KerriBlue
I'm sure the United States and other countries****

Sorry bad typo.
0 likes [|reply]
10 Sep 2010, 00:21
xoxo♥
LMAO That scientology comment made me have a major LOL moment!! I couldn't agree more! ;D
0 likes [|reply]
10 Sep 2010, 01:56
Lovin'MyLittles
@ Kerri -

You didn't offend me at all honey! =) I just get so frustrated with stuff like this because 1 person who is an extremist can ruin it for the rest of us.
0 likes [|reply]
10 Sep 2010, 15:11
American
@-andBabyMakesFour- He has the right to burn it but that doesn't make it right or smart...yet you're okay with the mosque being built there? Yeah, they have the legal right to build it there but that doesn't make it right. AND NO THEY didn't have a mosque there before. But a Greek Orthodox Church DID have a church there but guess what - they are being denied their right to rebuild it. That isn't religious tolerance, that's picking one over another. If you're going to talk about right and wrong with this guy then talk right and wrong about everyone else too (i.e. imam who wants to build the mosque at ground zero).

And guess what, they HAVE burned the bible before but guess what - you don't know that, right?

You pass it off as if it was religious extremists who did 9/11 (and killed THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE) and so that makes it okay for people of that religion to build a mosque (which is a typical sign of victory in the muslim world: when they conquered a city/town they would convert the local church/temple into a mosque as a victory trophy) but it's religious ignorance when one Christian extremist wants to burn the Koran? I don't agree with him burning it, but I think that if you're gonna defend the mosque at ground zero then you better damn well defend this guy, too, because he has just as much a right to do this as the imam has to build that mosque, but neither of them is the right thing to do.

Also, there are over 100 mosques in NY. What's so special about this one in this exact location? Why does it have to be there? Also, they have the right to worship whatever religion they want but there's nothing said about them having the right to do it wherever they choose. If Christians get flak and have to take down simple nativity scenes or ten commandment statues or are told we are supposed to say happy holidays instead of merry christmas or if we're not supposed to pray over the speakers at scool or at a football game then what right does he have to set up an islamic house of worship right next to the place where islamic folk KILLED THOUSANDS of American citizens? If we don't, they don't. Gotta be an even score. Otherwise, it's not religious tolerance, it's religious persecution against the one you're NOT tolerating.
0 likes [|reply]
10 Sep 2010, 16:52
Chris
@iWrite: P.S.: You pass it off as if it was religious extremists who did 9/11 (and killed THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE) and so that makes it okay for people of that religion to build a mosque (which is a typical sign of victory in the muslim world: when they conquered a city/town they would convert the local church/temple into a mosque as a victory trophy) but it's religious ignorance when one Christian extremist wants to burn the Koran?

Where to even begin with this shit?

1. No, a group of religious extremists blew up the WTC, not official representatives from the entire religion of Islam.
2. When did building a mosque become a sign of victory? Do you have any sources to prove this? Also, it's not even a mosque. I don't know how many times this fact has to be reiterated to you.

Also, there are over 100 mosques in NY. What's so special about this one in this exact location? Why does it have to be there?

Where? Two blocks AWAY from Ground Zero? It's not even ON Ground Zero.

If Christians get flak and have to take down simple nativity scenes or ten commandment statues or are told we are supposed to say happy holidays instead of merry christmas...

This never happened. Christians get shit because they try to put religious symbols in public places, like court houses. Businesses CHOOSE to stay away from religious greetings because they don't want to alienate a bunch of their clientele. Private businesses choose to take down their religious symbols, the government has nothing to do with it. Don't start playing the victim card about religious freedom over here.

...or if we're not supposed to pray over the speakers at scool or at a football game then what right does he have to set up an islamic house of worship right next to the place where islamic folk KILLED THOUSANDS of American citizens?

1. Because the school is a public place where many students of many different religious tend to be together. Why would you force a religion that's not theirs down their throats?
2. Football games are controlled by private companies which, once again, have nothing to do with the government.
3. Because they bought the land, and they can do whatever they want with it. They should be able to build a giant statue of the middle finger pointing in the direction of Ground Zero if they really wanted to, and there's nothing the government should be able to do about it. They have the right. Sorry.

Otherwise, it's not religious tolerance, it's religious persecution against the one you're NOT tolerating.

Haha, Oh. Fucking. Please. Give me a break. Everything is religious persecution to you people. People of different religious practicing their religion on their own time, and has nothing to do with you, is not religious persecution. Sorry to burst your self-centered bubble, but these people are not Christians, and building a Muslim recreation center on land that they owned that is NOT on Ground Zero isn't a personal insult to your religion.
0 likes [|reply]
11 Sep 2010, 20:14
Jessica [Private]
@Chris: "Also, it's not even a mosque. I don't know how many times this fact has to be reiterated to you."

Out of curiosity, are they calling it an Islamic Center?
0 likes [|reply]
11 Sep 2010, 20:20
Chris
Islamic recreation center.
0 likes [|reply]
11 Sep 2010, 20:34
Jessica [Private]
My bad, Islamic Recreation Center, that's what I meant lol.

That's the official name of the Mosque down the street from my house. The sign says 'Islamic Recreation Center of Milwaukee' on it. But all the Muslim people I know refer to it as a Mosque. The only time people are ever there are during prayer time and before/after school.
0 likes [|reply]
10 Sep 2010, 22:37
~RedFraggle~
You do realise that INNOCENT Muslims died that day too, right?
0 likes [|reply]
11 Sep 2010, 15:31
Chris
@RedFrag: I wouldn't even bother responding to this chick after someone else has. She gets proven wrong every single time and stops responding all together.
0 likes [|reply]
9 Sep 2010, 00:08
Jessica [Private]
That's so terrible. Just because you don't agree with the actions of SOME people, does not mean it's okay to burn a holy book.
A lot of people don't agree with Christians, but it doesn't make it okay to burn a bible, either.

Makes me glad I didn't move to Gainesville ;D
0 likes [|reply]
9 Sep 2010, 00:11
Chris
@Jessica: What do you mean you're glad you're not in Gainesville? If I catch ANY of this shit on camera, I'm banking that shit off the media.
0 likes [|reply]
9 Sep 2010, 00:17
Jessica [Private]
@Chris: I thought you weren't going?
0 likes [|reply]
9 Sep 2010, 00:18
Chris
@Jessica: I changed my mind when I remembered I had a camera able to upload to the internets.
This thread is locked, unable to reply
Online Friends
Offline Friends