Search
Not Logged In
Your Username:
Your Password:

[ sign up | recover ]

Discussion Forums » General Discussion
Is this a bit too risque for a 7 year old?
0 likes [|reply]
16 May 2010, 16:41
♥ jes
I agree with you, Amber.
0 likes [|reply]
16 May 2010, 18:38
Poetic Justice
I agree, actually. I think media tends to push the limits as far as they can, and in some cases it is unacceptable, but overall, I do think that people (and parents) are responsible
0 likes [|reply]
16 May 2010, 19:13
Music God CJ Plain
I absolutely, WHOLE HEARTED, 1,000,000% AGREE with you on that.

And I'll up your anty by saying parent's LIKE that should be beaten vigorously with bricks and bottles.
0 likes [|reply]
16 May 2010, 16:37
Lovin'MyLittles
I could kiss your face. This is exactly how I feel.
0 likes [|reply]
17 May 2010, 15:11
DivaAshley
I agree... my 4 year old is in dance, and she wears Leotards and Tutus! The older girls in the dance companies in our studio DO NOT dress like that, and they DO NOT do stripper or club moves. Inappropriate. THIS is just disgusting to me. HOWEVER, the girls CAN dance... wow, and if their parents want to allow them to do this, that's their choice for their daughters. The audience seemed to love it!

Now, I can say that I teach 5 year olds in our district. We're doing a Talent Show the last day of school, and we're doing the CHIPMUNK version of Single Ladies with our girls, lol. THey are doing completely appropriate dance moves for 5 year olds, and are too cute. I'd love to be able to post a video, but I don't think our parents would approve.
0 likes [|reply]
16 May 2010, 14:08
queenbutterfly
Great dancing; but hell no. I would never let my 7-year-old do this..
0 likes [|reply]
16 May 2010, 14:17
Let It Be
Ug, what the fuck??? I took dance class from ages 4-10, and we NEVER danced or dressed anything like that. Mind you it was tap and jazz, but that's the type of dancing that little kids SHOULD be learning...not booty shaking music video dancing. Our costumes were always cutesy and age appropriate....my last year we wore a leather biker outfits that did expose our mid section (though FAR less than what these girls are showing), but that was because we were doing songs from Grease. I feel bad that these kids parents are stupid enough to let them think that this is cool and acceptable...I can imagine the kind of people they are going to turn out to be.
0 likes [|reply]
16 May 2010, 14:23
Let It Be
The fact that there is an entire crowd laughing and cheering is incredibly disturbing as well....
0 likes [|reply]
16 May 2010, 16:10
Lauren.
Exactly. When WE were kids, we didn't do this. And that was... 15 years ago? This is how they dance now. I know it's disgusting and would have been even worse when we were the kids that danced, but if your kid wants to dance and compete, THIS is how they have to dance. It isn't just this one group, it's ALL of them. Or, I'll say, all competing in hip hop. There is ballet, jazz, and tap that are all more conservative, but if they wanna do hip hop, this is what they're gonna have to do to get somewhere doing it. I'm not saying I think it's right, I'm just saying that coming from a point where I have a family member (niece) who is young and does competitive dancing, it's just how it is.
0 likes [|reply]
16 May 2010, 16:27
Let It Be
Really, that's just unfortunate. Too bad they can't at least tone it down a bit for kids that young, seven year old kids just don't need to be shaking their [non existent] boobs and ass all over the place. Those dance moves should be reserved for older kids. Or at least they could dress them in something less slutty if that IS how they are going to have them dance. Definitely a societal problem, it's so sad that this is considered appropriate. When I was 7 I was probably wearing mini mouse outfits to dance recitals lol.
0 likes [|reply]
16 May 2010, 16:34
Lauren.
I agree! It is completely unfortunate and inappropriate that the children of today get to go around dancing like that and it is considered the normal. I honestly think there should be different grades of dances for different companies. The general companies are Tiny-Mini Company (5-7 years old), Mini-Company (7-9 years old), Junior Company (9-13 years od), and Senior Company (high schoolers), and they of course learn more as they go, but my niece is 8 years old (therefore in mini-company) and they do some of the same competition dance moves as the senior company does. Their age and company should correlate to the risque-ness they're allowed.
0 likes [|reply]
18 May 2010, 16:24
Opie's Old Lady
I agree.

What I don't get is how the parents were ok with the outfits. The hip/hop dance class we have in my small ass border of the middle of no were town in Cali they wore black jeans & a red t-shirt. Even the adults. It's two classes 4-12 & 13-35 I think & they all wore the same thing. I think it was the song (boots with the fur, apple bottom jeans *radio version*) or however the hell that song goes. The did some of the moves & the rest was age appropriate moves. Why don't all the dance troupes do this? Why don't more parents say enough is enough? As a society we need to stop blaming the singers, actors & actresses, video games, & music videos for the problems are children are having (no I'm not a parent) but stand up & start actually having an interest in our children day to day life. We need to stop letting the T.V. & computer raise our children & get up off our asses & do our job as parents. If my kids (when I have them) want to dance, more power to them but in no dark corner of hell would I allow my kids or the other kids in the dance group to wear outfits like that (also why I'll never put my kids in beauty pageants)!

Hell I was in the M.B. in high school & our C.G. was not allowed to show their stomach or have bottoms that came to their knees. One year we had a show where they needed to have their shirts look like they were ripped so the shirts got ripped & then had like a white fabric sewn on the inside of the shirt so that they would still be covered. We got the effect we wanted with out actually showing more then the appropriate amount of skin. Like someone said if the high school doesn't allow them to do this kinda of dance that way then they shouldn't be allowed to do it at 5-17(just trying to cover all the ages)
0 likes [|reply]
16 May 2010, 14:34
annababe • •
AND WE WONDER WHY TEEN PREGNANCY IS AT IT'S HIGHEST. Not even teen for that matter.... uh pregnancy before even getting your first period.. OR having pubic hair. WTF.
0 likes [|reply]
16 May 2010, 16:20
Transit
Oh yes, pregnancy before the onset of puberty, it is just far too common!
0 likes [|reply]
16 May 2010, 16:41
Lauren.
LOL.
0 likes [|reply]
17 May 2010, 02:23
lithium layouts.
Hahaha ;D
0 likes [|reply]
16 May 2010, 17:44
*Forever Changing*
This has NOTHING to do with teen pregnancy. This has everything to do with parenting. AND PS. Teen Pregnancy has gone DOWN not up.
0 likes [|reply]
16 May 2010, 14:57
Mami 2 ♥ 1
I think the biggest problem with this is the dance and costume just aren't age appropriate. I know my high school wouldn't have let us preform this exact routine if we wanted to. It violates dress code and isn't appropriate for the school environment. So if it isn't appropriate for high school kids to preform, it is more inappropriate for 7-8yr old girls.
0 likes [|reply]
16 May 2010, 16:19
- cynthia -
I agree! And, I bet if the parents had any concerns with the costumes, they would have been changed. Obviously these parents didnt mind what their daughters were dressing like. Im sure the dance company didnt just order the costumes without parental consent!
0 likes [|reply]
16 May 2010, 16:04
Acid Fairy
It's the clothes that make this a bit fucked up.
0 likes [|reply]
16 May 2010, 16:08
.miss.raditude.
Ok...I found it kickass. I wish I could've dance liked that as a 7 year old. And before people start to argue with me and tell me that I'm disgusting...I think they are dressed too provacatively. Even Beyonce wasn't dressed like that in her video. And just a thought...I know Beyonce and Lady Gaga and all that aren'tthe best of role models. But you all do have a power....it's called the "Off" button on the remote. But back to the original statement....those girls did a badass job. But they should've had a little more detail to their outfits. -Peace
0 likes [|reply]
18 May 2010, 17:38
~RedFraggle~
You think it's ok for little kids to be acting out SEXY dance moves?
0 likes [|reply]
18 May 2010, 22:15
.miss.raditude.
I didn't find them "sexy" dance moves. That's how people the popstars' dance in their music videos and how all their backup dancer's dance as well. In that particular video and the music to that particular song, the dance moves were awesome.
0 likes [|reply]
18 May 2010, 22:30
~RedFraggle~
You don't think they were sexy?! They were practically imitating sex at one point! Their hips were girating all over the place! Children shouldn't be making moves like that!

And yes they're performed in the video, but by an ADULT. Do you really want men looking at your little girl in the same way that they look at Beyonce? Having thought about your daughter's body like the ones they have about Beyonce's body? SERIOUSLY?!?
0 likes [|reply]
18 May 2010, 22:45
.miss.raditude.
Well Red, I am allowed to have an opinion, and as I said before, their clothes were skimpy. They put on an excellent performance and I hope they go further in their dancing career. And as a parent, I wouldn't let my daughter do it. But I'm certainly not going to judge the kids, parents, or school faculty for putting this in their school.
This thread is locked, unable to reply
Online Friends
Offline Friends