Your Password:

[ sign up | recover ]

Discussion Forums » General Discussion
Page:  1  2 
Humour bypass.
0 likes [|reply]
22 Jan 2009, 19:06
Acid Fairy
Yeah I have noticed a lot of non Brits don't get sarcasm. I lived with a girl from Tennessee in 2007 at uni and it took her quite a while to get used to the sarcasm thing. Then she would start using it, but nobody would realise she was being sarcastic; like, she didn't have the right tone hehe.
0 likes [|reply]
22 Jan 2009, 20:05
Transit
Lynn who I live with doesn't get it either, she is fron greece, with her it isn't a language barrier either as she speaks better english than me.
0 likes [|reply]
22 Jan 2009, 22:47
Lauren.
She must've been from the wrong side of Tennessee, because on my side of Tennessee sarcasm is basically a second language! Or maybe I just hang out with the cool, sarcastic kids, eh? Lol.
0 likes [|reply]
22 Jan 2009, 23:28
Acid Fairy
Lol she's from Knoxville.
0 likes [|reply]
22 Jan 2009, 23:32
Lauren.
Hmm, I'm not far from Knoxville.. only a couple of hours. So, yes, we'll go with I hang out with the cool, sarcastic kids with a good sense of humor. Or something along those lines, lol.
0 likes [|reply]
22 Jan 2009, 20:18
Estella
I THINK A LOT OF IT IS CULTURAL DIFFERENCES. IT'S NOT THAT NON-BRITS AREN'T SARCASTIC - JUST THAT THEY HAVE A DIFFERENT SORT OF SARCASM. I THINK EACH CULTURE HAS ITS OWN PARTICULAR WAYS OF CONVEYING SARCASM, AND THE BRITISH WAY IS TO SOUND TOTALLY SERIOUS, DEADPAN AND A LITTLE NAIVE, WHICH WE CAN TOTALLY RECOGNISE AS SARCASM IN EACH OTHER, BUT WHICH MAKES NON-BRITS THINK WE REALLY ARE BEING SERIOUS.

AMERICANS TEND TO USE THE ITALICS TO EMPHASISE SARCASM (OR EMPHASIS OF VOICE IF IT IS SPOKEN) - BUT THEN TO BRITS THAT SIMPLY STOPS IT BEING SARCASM, AND DESTROYS THE HUMOUR (BECAUSE TO US THE ESSENCE OF SARCASM IS COMPLETE SUBTLETY). PARTICULARLY WHEN THEY PUT 'THAT WAS SARCASM, BY THE WAY' IN BRACKETS - THAT COMPLETELY KILLS THE EFFECT TO A BRIT AND MAKES IT SOUND DAFT! BUT THAT IS THE WAY A LOT OF AMERICANS DO IT AND IT DOESN'T SOUND DAFT TO THEM.

IT'S TOTALLY CULTURAL - EVEN IF IT WERE SPOKEN AND NOT WRITTEN, MISUNDERSTANDINGS ALWAYS OCCUR BETWEEN DIFFERENT CULTURES' HUMOURS. I'VE NOTICED THIS NUMEROUS TIMES IN REAL LIFE INTERNATIONAL SITUATIONS - AND BRITISH HUMOUR DOES HAVE A REPUTATION FOR BEING THE MOST MISUNDERSTOOD! ;D I THINK IT WAS LAWRENCE STERNE WHO ATTRIBUTED OUR WEIRD HUMOUR TO OUR DAMP MISERABLE WEATHER, BACK IN THE 18TH CENTURY, YO!
0 likes [|reply]
23 Jan 2009, 14:07
lithium layouts.
Yeah, Aussie sarcasm, to me anyway, is about the subtlety, about pretending that you are being sincere and/or that you have no idea what's going on.

Australia receives influences from both sides of the court, though. xD
0 likes [|reply]
22 Jan 2009, 20:49
Acid Fairy
I just notice it mainly on Dear Anonymous... on entries that are so blatantly joking, and there are all comments going, 'You're so fucking horrible! How would you feel... blah blah blah.' It just makes me think 'HOW STUPID CAN YOU BE?!'

I know they say sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, but that is a sarcastic comment in itself ;)
0 likes [|reply]
22 Jan 2009, 22:12
Estella
I KNOW, YO - ESPECIALLY MY EXTRA SILLY ONE ABOUT GIGGLE, WHICH WAS PURPOSELY EXTRA-OBVIOUSLY SARCASTIC TO MAKE HER LAUGH! HER FRIENDS TOTALLY GOT MAD AND STUCK UP FOR HER! IT WAS QUITE CUTE TO BEHOLD! ;D
0 likes [|reply]
22 Jan 2009, 22:13
Estella
OH POO - URL DIDN'T WORK. LET'S TRY THAT AGAIN: THIS ONE, YO!
0 likes [|reply]
24 Jan 2009, 13:05
Giggle
hahaha I saved you from a beating though right there =P
0 likes [|reply]
23 Jan 2009, 20:26
Mojo Jojo
We definitely need more aussies on bloop.
AMERICANS JUST DONT UNDERSTAND MY HUMOUR!!!
0 likes [|reply]
24 Jan 2009, 02:13
Doc
TEH INTERWEBS IS SRS BUSINESS!!!!!!!!!!!
0 likes [|reply]
24 Jan 2009, 08:18
Aiure
This thread is locked, unable to reply
Online Friends
Offline Friends