Search
Not Logged In
Your Username:
Your Password:

[ sign up | recover ]

Discussion Forums » General Discussion
Are sexually transmitted diseases deserved?
0 likes [|reply]
9 May 2010, 10:22
LittleUn
I just got done reading this article here

http://www.oldpaths.com/Archive/Davison/Roy/Allen/1940/diseases.html

I'm not particularly religious... but I can't help but think that sometimes, STDs are a good wake up call!

What do you think? Do you think some people deserve to catch STDs?
0 likes [|reply]
9 May 2010, 14:18
Fenix
I thought all punishment and judgment comes after death. People who see real-life tragedies as divine judgments are absolutely insane, and will cherry pick anything to prove to their followers of the existence of God. It really concerns me. It's not as if STDs popped up from nothing one day because God thought the world was being too sinful. Those viruses (is it virii?) synthesized and evolved like any other.
0 likes [|reply]
10 May 2010, 02:50
Lovin'MyLittles
I think someone else said it perfectly.

If you are having sex with multiple people unprotected or having sex with people you barely know and opting out of protection without knowing 100% if they are clean or not, you shouldn't be SURPRISED if you find out you have an STD.

Deserved? No, not really. Expected, yeah. A bit. If a girl or a guy has sex with 30 people in their life time - the odds of them catching an STD are higher than a girl or guy who only has sex with ONE person with protection. The odds are just against them.
0 likes [|reply]
11 May 2010, 01:53
*~Loving You~*
well for the cheaters yup all the way lol but if ur gonna have unprotected sex and its not a long term thing its pretty stupid of em so that's the risk they r willing to take even with my husband we wore a condom and we were dating and committed till later
0 likes [|reply]
14 May 2010, 04:06
T.A.I
I was talking to an old professor and a former student of hers awhile back, and it was a very interesting discussion.

The former student was very spiritual and very much the intellectual. Her take on it, was that STD's and STI's weren't necessarily a punishment or something that's deserved, but more of a a warning sign to society that says "Hey, people. You're not protecting yourselves, and society as a whole is being too promiscuous and carefree, and that we should take things down a few pegs and start to think about what we're doing with our bodies."

She felt that you can't control people or what they're going to do, but if you're going to ignore the signs out there that are sending a message that people are starting to become too loose with themselves, the consequences of those actions shouldn't be something that surprises someone, but they shouldn't be a punishment either, because we all make mistakes.

I kinda stand by that notion. Nobody ever "deserves" to die or "deserves" to catch something that hinders their ability to live their life they way they chose, but there are some actions that people take and some paths that people either chose or allow themselves to go down that have highly predictable consequences given a certain set of circumstances. I've got a weird view on things, but I'm a believer of fate and free will. We have the ability to chose most of the paths in our lives (most, not all), and during our lives, we will all come to forks in the road. We can choose to continue on the same path, or branch off onto something new. For a lot of our actions and a lot of the things we as people and society do, the things that we will encounter on the roads that we choose to travel are pretty predictable. I mean, if a sign says "Warning! Icy roads ahead!" during the middle of winter, it's safe to say that we're going to encounter ice.

TL;DR: People don't really deserve STDs/STIs, but given some people's lifestyle choices, lack of self control, lack of awareness of vigilance, or other contributing factors, many (but not all) shouldn't be surprised if their yearly doctor's visit brings up an unsettling result.
0 likes [|reply]
9 May 2010, 10:53
KerriBlue
I think they may be a good wake up call - but I sure as hell wouldn't say that people deserve an STD. I mean STD's can happen to anyone, it only takes one sexual partner to get an STD..so like I said wakeup call - of course...but no one "deserves" and STD.
0 likes [|reply]
9 May 2010, 11:21
RealLifeComics
If you are having unprotected sex with a lot of people. You should not be surprised when you find out you have an STD.
I don't think it has to do anything to do Sweet Zombie Jesus and Co.
0 likes [|reply]
11 May 2010, 04:48
valerieeeee
i love that you call Him sweet zombie Jesus and co. lol
0 likes [|reply]
9 May 2010, 14:21
Acid Fairy
My ex shagged someone else without protection. Does that mean I'd have deserved any STDs if she hadn't been clean?
0 likes [|reply]
9 May 2010, 18:03
Fenix
Yes! Because you had sinful thoughts, and it wouldn't have happened if you practiced sex strictly for procreation!
0 likes [|reply]
9 May 2010, 18:19
Acid Fairy
Oh wow, that is good to know. What if I don't want kids ever? I should never have sex? That's rather unfair. If that was the case why does it feel so good hmm??
0 likes [|reply]
9 May 2010, 18:33
Fenix
You've clearly been influenced by the devil!!!
0 likes [|reply]
9 May 2010, 19:53
Acid Fairy
I really hope you are taking the piss. Otherwise... fuck. You're a bit scary.
0 likes [|reply]
9 May 2010, 20:25
& skull.
based on their first response to the thread, i'd say they are taking the piss lol.
0 likes [|reply]
9 May 2010, 20:36
Acid Fairy
Oh ok good! Lol.
0 likes [|reply]
9 May 2010, 21:23
Fenix
Haha, yes, I'm definitely goofing around on here. Though I could see why you were confused as to whether I was joking. People are scary.
0 likes [|reply]
9 May 2010, 22:04
Acid Fairy
I thought you might be when I saw your picture was of Simon Pegg. God I love him. He went to my college of FE; random fact!
0 likes [|reply]
10 May 2010, 04:01
Chèvre noble
Amen to that shit.
0 likes [|reply]
10 May 2010, 11:08
True
*rofl*
0 likes [|reply]
9 May 2010, 21:11
Designs by Jess
I had a teacher back in high school who firmly believed sex should only be for procreation. (he also had like 12 kids.)
0 likes [|reply]
9 May 2010, 21:11
Jessica [Private]
yeah ugh, that was me.
0 likes [|reply]
9 May 2010, 21:15
Acid Fairy
Lol I so do not understand that stance. I think as long as you practice safe sex, and you enjoy it, have lots of it! ;D
0 likes [|reply]
9 May 2010, 21:19
Jessica [Private]
I can see why someone would want to believe that - if everyone only had sex for procreation there would be far fewer cases of STDs and HIV in the world.

But it just seems very impractical to me. When I was a kid I always got the "wait until marriage for sex" bit. For awhile I was like yeah okay I can do that.
Then I started high school and was like man eff that nonsense. I never wanted to marry someone and THEN find out he was a terrible lay. Who wants to spend their life with someone who completely sucks at sex? ;)
0 likes [|reply]
9 May 2010, 22:04
Acid Fairy
You wouldn't buy a car without test driving it first ;D
0 likes [|reply]
10 May 2010, 01:27
Jessica [Private]
Precisely!
This thread is locked, unable to reply
Online Friends
Offline Friends