[ sign up | recover ]

Discussion Forums » General Discussion
Page:  1 
Traffic Tickets/Impounding
0 likes [|reply]
30 Apr 2010, 22:38
Aubrey;
I'm writing a story that takes place somewhere in New England in the US
My main character is speeding down the road late and night and gets pulled over.
He gives the cop a bit of a hard time and the cop discovers that Dylan [my character] has had too much to drink.
So, Dylan's license gets suspended [he's had previous speeding tickets/points on his license], and his car gets impounded. He also spends the night in jail.
Does this sound realistic?

If his car gets impounded, does he get it back eventually? How long would that take? About how long do they suspend your license for something like this?

ANY information you have would help. I don't know much about traffic laws like this, since I am usually pretty good about driving. ;-)
0 likes [|reply]
30 Apr 2010, 23:03
Music God CJ Plain
I know in Michigan, your first DUI conviction is an automatic 1 year suspension along with HUGE fines and possible jail time.

Also, here...if you get pulled over and have outstanding warrants or wants, they will arrest you and impound the car. You can get it back as soon as you pay the towing and impound fees. The longer the car is there, the more it costs.
0 likes [|reply]
30 Apr 2010, 23:05
Aubrey;
Okay... so he could get it back the next day if he got the money, right?
I don't want him to be in jail for a long time... just overnight. If he wasn't drinking and was just mouthing off, you think that would be enough?

0 likes [|reply]
30 Apr 2010, 23:10
Music God CJ Plain
Yeah, it very well could be. I know that cops have the authority to arrest for a couple different things if you refuse to cooperate. Resisting arrest, public disturbance, Failure to comply with a lawful order are just a couple that I know of.

And yeah, I got busted for speeding and had a 15 year old warrant. I was driving cab at the time and they impounded the cab. My boss went down 30 minutes after I was arrested and got the cab out of impound. It cost him $100 and I had to pay him back for it when I got out of jail.
0 likes [|reply]
30 Apr 2010, 23:21
Aubrey;
Okay, sweet. I can work that to my advantage, I think.
0 likes [|reply]
30 Apr 2010, 23:20
Chris
As far as getting his car impounded, he could get his car the next day. As far as getting your license suspended, there are a few things to consider.

Some states incorporate a three-strike rule.
Some states consider the BAC when determining punishment
Some states are very strict, such as Michigan, as MGoB pointed out earlier.

What is happening with your character sounds pretty realistic. You get arrested, and you pretty much spend the night in jail, until you sober up, then you're allowed to go home. He'll be charged with a DUI, and he'll be able to pick up his car immediately for a fine, and as long as he can prove the car is his, via his insurance card (which they'll let you grab out of the car that's impounded if it's left in the glove compartment or something).

I found a nifty little site that shows you the law AND penalties for a DUI if you hover over the state:
http://www.1800duilaws.com/forms/statesduilaws.asp
0 likes [|reply]
30 Apr 2010, 23:21
Chris
Also, here's another site for a bit more information by state (on the side menu).

http://dui.drivinglaws.org/
0 likes [|reply]
30 Apr 2010, 23:25
Aubrey;
Oh, that's pretty cool! I just looked at VT and NH and the license suspension period is totally different, even though they're right next to each other!
I want his license to be suspended, I think, but I don't want him to spend more than a night in jail.
This thread is locked, unable to reply
Online Friends
Offline Friends