Your Password:

[ sign up | recover ]

Discussion Forums » In The News
Page:  1  2 
4-year-old boy beaten to death
0 likes [|reply]
14 Apr 2010, 14:31
Mama2One

The little boy in the following articles was the son of a guy I went to high school with. It's horrible.

Man held in 4-year-old's beating death
By Lisa Roose-Church • daily press & argus • April 14, 2010

The father of a former Livingston County man held in connection to the beating death of his girlfriend’s 4-year-old boy said drugs are responsible for his son’s uncharacteristic behavior.

The Genesee County prosecutor’s office has ordered additional investigation into whether Brandon Joshua-Frederick Hayes, 24, is responsible for the weekend beating that killed Dominick Calhoun at his family’s apartment in Pinehurst Apartments in Argentine Township.

“What he did was not him,” Brandon Hayes’ father, Arnold Hayes, said Tuesday. “The drugs did that.”

Brandon Hayes’ criminal history includes a 2005 conviction for possession of analogues, similar in chemical composition to controlled substances.

Argentine Township Police Chief Daniel Allen said Tuesday that officers found the 4-year-old boy lying on the floor of a bedroom at about 2:30 p.m. Sunday at an apartment in the 9000 block of Harper Street after the boy’s paternal grandfather reported the possible beating.

The boy appeared to have been beaten with fists and kicked, Allen said. The beating took place throughout the weekend, he added.

“He was beaten from head to toe,” the chief said, commenting that this is one of the worst cases of child abuse he’s seen in his decades in law enforcement.

Dominick's mother, Corrine Baker, tearfully told NBC 25 in Flint that the tragic incident began Friday, when her boyfriend said her son had misbehaved and should not be let out of his room.

Baker said she realized the next day that her son needed medical attention for burns, and she wanted to take him to the hospital, but her boyfriend stopped her because he didn’t want to get into trouble.

“Every time I tried to protect Dominick, he’d rip me off and go back after him. I would just crawl back over to him and try to protect him as best as I could,” Baker told the Flint television station. “I was screaming, screaming at the top of my lungs. The last thing I wanted was for my little boy to die.”

The boy was taken to Hurley Medical Center in Flint, where he was placed on life support, which was stopped Monday. He was pronounced dead at 11:02 a.m. Monday, Allen said.

Genesee County Prosecutor David Leyton said Brandon Hayes is being held in custody while officers interview more witnesses.

“We need the autopsy and some other forensic materials,” Leyton added, noting that he will announce a decision about charges in the case at 10 a.m. Thursday at his office in the Genesee County courthouse.

Police also arrested the boy’s 25-year-old mother, who was found battered and bruised next to her son whom she was trying to comfort. Police have since released the woman.

When asked if the mother was a victim of domestic violence, Allen replied: “She was definitely beaten.” He declined to elaborate, citing the ongoing investigation.

The mother’s injuries were non-life-threatening, Allen said.

The woman’s 8-year-old son also found in the apartment was taken to the hospital as a precaution. He was not injured and was placed into the custody of Child Protective Services.

Arnold Hayes said the allegations are not characteristic of his son, whom he described as a “fun” person. He said his son admitted that he got mixed into the drug culture at age 13.

“This is something we’ve been battling a long time,” he said, ending the telephone interview when a woman in the background told him to make no additional comments.

Allen said this was the first time police had been called to Brandon Hayes’ home, although neighbors have indicated to police that they heard disturbing noises from the apartment in the hours before police arrived.

“People said they heard things and didn’t call police,” Allen said. “That bothers me. The apartment complex is not even half a mile, probably three or four blocks, from the Police Department.”

In addition to Brandon Hayes' conviction for possession of analogues, his criminal record includes served a prison term for resisting police and fleeing police. He was discharged from parole in July.

The family was residing in the Tyrone Woods subdivision prior to their March 30 move to the Pinehurst Apartments, Allen said, quoting documents found in the couple’s home.
Contact Daily Press & Argus reporter Lisa Roose-Church at (517) 552-2846 or at lrchurch@gannett.com.

Link

and another article

This was the first article I saw in my local paper

Charges possible in beating death of boy, 4
Former Tyrone Township man held in custody
April 13, 2010

The Genesee County prosecutor’s office is expected to decide today whether to charge a former Livingston County resident in connection to the beating death of a 4-year-old child.

Argentine Township police said Dominick Calhoun, 4, was found lying on the floor of a bedroom about 2:30 p.m. Sunday at Pinehurst Apartments, 9087 Harper Street, after the boy’s paternal grandfather reported the possible beating.

Argentine Township Police Chief Daniel Allen said the boy was "beaten from head to toe." The beatings took place over two days, and injuries were inflicted by fists and kicks, the chief noted.

Calhoun was taken to Hurley Medical Center in Flint, and placed on life support. He was removed from life support and pronounced dead at 11:02 a.m. Monday.

Police arrested his 25-year-old mother, who was found next to her son and was trying to comfort him, and the mother’s 24-year-old boyfriend, Brandon Joshua-Frederick Hayes. The mother was later released from custody.

Police said the mother also had visible injuries to her head, face and body.

"She was definitely beaten," said Allen.

Both the mother and her 8-year-old son, who also was found in the apartment, were taken to Hurley Medical Center. The 8-year-old received no injuries, and was taken into Child Protective Services’ custody.

Hayes, the suspect in custody, is not the biological father of either of the boys.

A neighbor told Flint-area media that the 8-year-old indicated the mom’s boyfriend “was stepping” on Calhoun’s head.

“He was stomping on his head, and kicking him in the ribs, punching him in the face,” Patty Brown says the child told her.

Several neighbors reported hearing loud noises coming from the apartment, but no one called the police, Allen said. He encourages residents to call police when they suspect abuse is taking place.

The family had reportedly moved March 30 from Tyrone Township to Argentine Township.

Allen said police had not been called to the Hayes' apartment prior to this incident. However, Michigan Department of Corrections' records show Hayes served prison time for fleeing police and resisting police. His criminal history also includes convictions in Genesee County for possession of analogues.

link

and a facebook page

Justice for Dominick Calhoun

and the monster who did this

Brandon Hayes

0 likes [|reply]
14 Apr 2010, 15:03
Music God CJ Plain
There's just not words. Michigan DEFINITELY needs the death penalty.I love Michigan...but the crime is so out of control.
0 likes [|reply]
14 Apr 2010, 15:21
Mama2One
I know. It's just horrible. My daughter is 6 years old and I look at her and think "what would I do if I lost her?"
0 likes [|reply]
14 Apr 2010, 16:37
Music God CJ Plain
I guess the ONE consolation is that when he makes it to SMP here in Jackson, where I live...he will be welcomed with a "special" kind of love. LOL
0 likes [|reply]
15 Apr 2010, 01:51
Mama2One
Yeah. From what I've hear the sick bastard is up in Hurley Hospital because people in th jail up in Flint already beat the hell out of him.
0 likes [|reply]
15 Apr 2010, 03:21
Jessica [Private]
Yeah, my sister's ex told me once that anyone who hurts kids that comes into jail gets the crap kicked out of them.

Those dudes might be some tough, creepy fuckers.
But most of them have kids ;D
0 likes [|reply]
14 Apr 2010, 21:21
HorrorVixen XO
exactly.. i could never imagen my life without my kids. no matter how mad they get me.. it doesnt matter!
0 likes [|reply]
14 Apr 2010, 16:38
*Forever Changing*
That is beyond sick. Don't blame the drugs like he isn't responsible. He is a sick person who should be beaten to death. And if this guy was on drugs what kind of a mother would allow her kids around that. Sick people I swear.
0 likes [|reply]
14 Apr 2010, 19:55
Poetic Justice
That's insane. Whether the drugs are responsible or not, why would the mother allow her kids to be around a junkie? And when some OTHER GUY (who I'm gathering is not the child's father, correct me if I'm wrong...) decides to punish YOUR child by locking him in his room all day, what normal mother would just go along with that? As if that isn't bad enough, and that isn't a big enough red flag, she then allows him to beat her child to death while she.... Cowers in the corner? Well that's real helpful, thanks mom.

I'm sorry, I'm not trying to down play domestic violence here. It just boggles my mind, because if I had kids and some worthless lowlife thought that they would raise a hand to them, I would grab the nearest blunt object and put it through his skull. There would be no time for retaliation. Or if NOTHING else, couldn't she have made a phone call? Or ran from the house and gotten a neighbor's help? Geeze, anything...
0 likes [|reply]
15 Apr 2010, 01:50
Mama2One
you're right, the person who did this is not the boy's father. he was fighting for full custody of Dominick forever before this happened.
0 likes [|reply]
15 Apr 2010, 04:05
Poetic Justice
That's awful. That poor guy =(
0 likes [|reply]
15 Apr 2010, 11:55
Mama2One
I know. I feel so bad for him. The father is such a good person. My heart breaks for him.
0 likes [|reply]
15 Apr 2010, 16:00
*~Loving You~*
that is horriable!

i know this is off track when you said "The little boy in the following articles was the son of a guy I went to high school with. It's horrible. " my mom had almost the simliar expereince she dated this guy this was her first boyfriend in highschool, and she found him in the newspaper this was like 18 years later, it turns out that he murderored a girl shortly after my mom left him for another guy at a party and it was solved like 18 yrs later... that was creepy.

this is really sad for this little boy
0 likes [|reply]
14 Apr 2010, 16:01
Makayla
I hate how people always say "the drugs did it" no dumb fuck YOU did it. Let me rot in hell!
0 likes [|reply]
14 Apr 2010, 16:02
Makayla
OMG I meant Let *him* rot in hell...lmao
0 likes [|reply]
14 Apr 2010, 22:55
.miss.raditude.
Wow. But I can honestly say I'm not surprised. The question I have for the mother is "WHY"?I have a daughter and there's no way in bloody hell I would let her father beat her like that. If he did, I'd kill him. Literally! Why didn't she go grab a gun or a knife and kill him. They had proof the child was being beaten. Or call the cops? Or go to the neighbors? Argh, now I'm angry.
0 likes [|reply]
14 Apr 2010, 23:42
Makayla
That's what I was thinking. Someone would have to kill me before hurting my child like that. I think the mother could have done more. I mean get a knife out of the kitchen & stab the bastard. Scream "CALL 911" at the top of your lungs (I mean they are in an apartment complex for Christ's sake), the beatings went on over a day's time by the way it sounds & I just can't believe the mother didn't have a chance to stop it. Especially since the parental grandfather was the one who called & reported it. How did he know about it?
0 likes [|reply]
15 Apr 2010, 01:38
.miss.raditude.
I like your thinking! In all seriousness, someone lays a hand on my daughter I'll kill the bastard. She could've killed him, spent a few days in jail, attorney would get her out, and son and mother reunite. It's that simple/
0 likes [|reply]
15 Apr 2010, 01:49
Mama2One
The person who did this was not the boy's father. The boy's father did not have custody of him and was fighting the State of Michigan for custody, the way I see it, the state also has this little boy's blood on their hands. Makes me ashamed to be a part of this state.
0 likes [|reply]
15 Apr 2010, 01:55
.miss.raditude.
Boy's father or not, I still would have killed him. And so many cases have happened like this. Parent let's other parent take child for a weekend, and the child never makes it home and is found in a ditch a week later. It's all states, hun. It's out f*#!ed upjudicial system.
0 likes [|reply]
15 Apr 2010, 01:56
.miss.raditude.
*our. I get type happy. :)
0 likes [|reply]
15 Apr 2010, 02:07
Mama2One
well yes, i would have too. it's horrible that she let this happen. so sad.
0 likes [|reply]
15 Apr 2010, 00:34
.love.struck.
Why would anyone leave their kids in the care of a drug abuser and an abuser? I wouldn't even leave my pets around people like that. The guy had to leave the house or fall asleep sometime so why wouldn't she take that opportunity and take her child out of that environment? Both are at fault as I see it.
0 likes [|reply]
15 Apr 2010, 01:56
.miss.raditude.
Agreed.
0 likes [|reply]
15 Apr 2010, 09:05
& skull.
the drugs did it? if he's been doing drugs since he was 13 then it's no longer the drugs doing anything. why the HELL was she with such a piece of shit if he's been drug addled for so long? if i had children i wouldn't let any drug fucked asshole anywhere near my children and if for some completely insane reason i did, i would stab that fucker long before he got a chance to lay a hand on my kids.
This thread is locked, unable to reply
Online Friends
Offline Friends