Your Password:

[ sign up | recover ]

Discussion Forums » General Discussion
Page:  1  2 
Parvo
0 likes [|reply]
18 Dec 2009, 23:33
[accepting.change]
Other than the instructions and advice that the vet has given you; what are some other home remedies or bland foods that I can try and feed to my dog who has Parvo? He hasn't ate in days. Thank you.
0 likes [|reply]
21 Dec 2009, 05:06
Tam I Am
I'm not sure what the vet has told you, but we always used Pedialyte for our dogs when they got parvo.
0 likes [|reply]
18 Dec 2009, 23:58
Addicted to Craft
Oh the poor baby! Have you tried boiled chicken and rice? If he hasn't eaten in days you may not want to give him too much... maybe a spoonful or two every 15 minutes. You don't want him to throw it all back up. I just took a trimmed boneless/skinless chicken breast, boiled it. Then I made a 1/2 cup of white rice as usual, no seasonings. Dice up chicken, add with rice and give to dog. Add a little water to help with dehydration. Also, there's a paste you can try... I can't think of the name, but they give it to cats and dogs when they won't eat. It's like a nutritional paste.
0 likes [|reply]
19 Dec 2009, 00:01
[accepting.change]
Yes, the chicken and rice has been tried but he won't eat that either. Hmm. Okay. Thank you ;)
0 likes [|reply]
19 Dec 2009, 00:24
*Forever Changing*
ice chips, are you sure its Parvo? We thought my pup had Parvo, and so did the vet, but they didnt run tests, and instead he died from the similar CoronaVirus. Good luck. There is also something called "Parvaid" I think.
0 likes [|reply]
19 Dec 2009, 17:03
Hidden Depths
I'm so sorry to hear about the illness :( When my cat got sick (and I -know- it's not the same as your dog) and wouldn't eat for days, mom actually had to administer an IV with saline to keep him hydrated.
0 likes [|reply]
20 Dec 2009, 11:35
*just me*
As a pet owner, its your duty to take your pet to see a vet when it's ill. So get your dog to the vet, and I expect they will give him some kind of IV fluids for rehydration, and they also normally have special diet food for animals that wont eat. My cat stopped eating, we tried the boiled chicken thing, wouldn't have it. Took him to the vets, they put a small dish on the table of this special diet food, and he wolfed it down.
0 likes [|reply]
20 Dec 2009, 11:49
.Blue Bella.
How rude are you. You should probably ASK if the dog has been taken to the vet, before assuming.
0 likes [|reply]
20 Dec 2009, 20:59
[accepting.change]
Right? THanks :)
0 likes [|reply]
20 Dec 2009, 20:59
[accepting.change]
I took him to the Vet the day before I started this forum. I was just curious of some other things i could do to help him recover faster. I had one dog previous to this that had Parvo so I'm not that stupid to just assume that it's Parvo or something and then just let him suffer.
0 likes [|reply]
20 Dec 2009, 12:16
*just me*
I already worked out that they had been to the vet from the first sentence of the post. But the dog is clearly still ill, so surely you would just go back to the vet?
Isn't that what you would do with your child,if they had been to a doctors and after days still hadn't improved?
I studied veterinary nursing at college,the dog is clearly still sick,and so I'm not going to beat around the bush when it comes to the animals health.
0 likes [|reply]
20 Dec 2009, 21:00
[accepting.change]
The dog was taken back to Vet for a second set of treatments. And he is doing a lot better now.
0 likes [|reply]
20 Dec 2009, 21:02
*just me*
That's good to hear. It's horrible seeing a pet ill and of course you always want to do something to make them better, but sometimes it's best left to the professionals to do it. Hope he makes a full recovery soon.
0 likes [|reply]
20 Dec 2009, 21:04
[accepting.change]
Thank you :)
0 likes [|reply]
21 Dec 2009, 17:39
Finally Mrs. Bailey
I had a puppy that had distemper once, so I took her in right away, and they said they would keep her isolated in order to treat her better and prevent from infecting other dogs. The dog ended up catching parvo, which it didn't survive from. The dog was supposed to be isolated...I don't always trust vets. Or doctors for that matter, lol.
0 likes [|reply]
20 Dec 2009, 13:07
*Forever Changing*
Not to mention the fact that parvo kills most dogs who get it even with vet care, our vet told us if we couldnt afford the vet care that he would need to recover to put him down because it is a very very painful way to die.
0 likes [|reply]
20 Dec 2009, 13:27
*just me*
When we were taught about canine parvovirus at college, we were taught that it would normally require a period of hospitalisation at the vets & also isolation because the disease is highly contagious, so I'm surprised that [accepting.change] still has the dog at home. As lil mami said, many dogs die from canine parvovirus - it has a high mortality rate because it is such a hardy virus - even if the dog recovers, it can still carry the virus, and spread it throughout it's surroundings. If the dog becomes too dehydrated, it makes them more susceptible to further infections which doesnt help, thus the need for urgent veterinary care. If the dog has had any diarrhoea or vomiting because of the virus, then the rooms where this has happened need to be disinfected with a strong bleach because of how contagious & hardy the virus is to prevent repeat infection.
I don't think [accepting.change] should be trying to feed the dog, he won't take it because he is too ill for his intestines to be able to cope, which is why the dog would be vomiting food back up, and also why fluids will need to be given via IV as opposed to orally. Please take your dog back to the vets.
0 likes [|reply]
21 Dec 2009, 05:35
xoxo♥
heres a fix. TAKE YOUR DOG TO THE VET AND GET IT'S SHOTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And get it on the proper treatmeant for this. And hope & pray he lives because parvo is a horrible disease and maybe the nest dog you get you will maybe, just maybe prevent this by getting them their shots or just not get anymore dogs if you can't provide for them the proper care and immunizations .
0 likes [|reply]
21 Dec 2009, 14:13
*Forever Changing*
Thats not always so easy, we were told my dog had his shots, they even forged shot records and then he got the CanineVirus, which is the second most common reason puppies die, and there was a shot for it, that he never got.
0 likes [|reply]
21 Dec 2009, 17:29
[accepting.change]
Okay. Please yall. This dog wasn't even mine. A friend handed him over to me like a week before he got sick. Pretty much forced me to take him. Said that he was current on everything and she just couldn't afford him anymore. Sorry about all the confusion and such. MY dog is up to date on all of his shots and has not missed one. So thank you but I do take care of MY dog.
0 likes [|reply]
21 Dec 2009, 17:30
[accepting.change]
And plus, if any of you were to read my diary; you would see just how sopiled my dog really is. And he goes to PetSmart for a checkup every couple of months and he gets groomed all the time there :) So yes, I can afford my dog and I do treat him as if he were my child.
0 likes [|reply]
21 Dec 2009, 17:40
Finally Mrs. Bailey
There is no vaccine for parvo, so I understand.
0 likes [|reply]
23 Dec 2009, 12:03
Transit
Yes there is, in the UK you are advised not to allow your dog to leave your property until they have had the vaccine.
0 likes [|reply]
24 Dec 2009, 22:30
Love, Rebekah
Not an all in one treatment, but there is a vaccine to prevent it.
0 likes [|reply]
24 Dec 2009, 22:29
Love, Rebekah
Actually, once the dog has parvo, the DHPP-C (Distempet, hepatitis, parainfluenza, parvovirus & CoronaVirus) vaccine doesn't do anything. It won't treat it- only prevent it. PLUS, it can take a little while for the parvo test to show a positive (just like the heartworm test takes 6 months to show a positive) so please, get all of the facts before jumping down this guys throat. Just because his dog got sick doesn't mean it is his fault.
This thread is locked, unable to reply
Online Friends
Offline Friends