Your Password:

[ sign up | recover ]

Discussion Forums » In The News
Page:  1  2 
Parents, School Tangle Over Boy's Long Locks
0 likes [|reply]
18 Dec 2009, 12:18
Transit
Don't like the rules, don't send your child to the school, pretty simple.
0 likes [|reply]
18 Dec 2009, 13:26
& skull.
he's 4. what the fuck. why does a fucking 4 year old need to be punished over hair? i respect dress codes, but honestly i wouldn't send any child of mine to a school that ridiculous.
0 likes [|reply]
18 Dec 2009, 16:38
starsmaycollide
Well that's just utterly pointless. He's 4.

One of my favorite former student s from student teaching was an 11 year old with long hair. It fit his personality . It didn't distract him and it didn't bother me in the slightest...I'm glad that school didn't suspend him for something so silly.

And to those saying 'just leave the school'- the article states it's the district standard, not just that elementary school-so if this is a public school, where exactly should they send him instead? He should be able to go to the public school he is zoned for. It's not necessarily that simple to just get him in another school. (which may very well have the same stupid rule and feel the need to enforce it in a similar way.)
At any rate, maybe they could get him in somewhere else, but they shouldn't have to-because a school more worried about a pre schooler's hair than giving him an education has the wrong freaking priorities.

0 likes [|reply]
18 Dec 2009, 20:27
Acid Fairy
Going to a school with an overly-strict dress code is one of the reasons I rebelled and went all out goth at 15, and also why I dislike any sort of authority. I used to get threatened with detention because my shirt was untucked, even though I was one of the best students in the school.
I'm all for supporting individuality. I think it helps you to grow into a better person, because you're not constantly following pointless rules all the time. And rules about having your shirt tucked in/shoe colour/nail varnish/hair colour are pointless!
When I left school they gave fake awards out, and I received the 'makeup and jewelry award'. I was so proud ;D And it didn't impact my education one bit.
0 likes [|reply]
19 Dec 2009, 12:19
~RedFraggle~
Lol. My year book comment was 'most likely to spend the mullenium straigtening her hair'.
0 likes [|reply]
18 Dec 2009, 20:52
Estella
WTF - they are disciplining him by making him work in an isolated area, and his parents are allowing this to happen rather than finding a new school for him? This is surely more about the publicity for the family than the best interests of the kid. Like, sure, schools have various daft rules about appearance, but if you don't want your kid to adhere to them, then take him to a different school. Don't make him stay and get the isolation treatment. That's not exactly healthy for the child. Unless he prefers to work alone.
0 likes [|reply]
19 Dec 2009, 01:11
Miss
teheheheh his nickname is tater tot
0 likes [|reply]
19 Dec 2009, 09:26
.love.struck.
I'm not surprised that this happens to be in Texas. It seems to be a trend for Texas schools to make a huge deal out of everything. Yet, they are against teaching sex education in schools? Texas is a funny state.
0 likes [|reply]
19 Dec 2009, 12:22
~RedFraggle~
I think it's a stupid rule. But I also don't see the big deal with just cutting his hair. He's 4, he'll have forgotten about it a week later! I'm also not buying the thing about him wanting to give his hair to charity. Surely that's come from his parents. What does a 4 year old know about natural hair wigs?
0 likes [|reply]
19 Dec 2009, 15:46
Makayla
You would be surprised at what 4 year olds can comprehend. I don't think it's surprising at all that he wants to donate it. I'm sure the parents suggested it, but I'm sure you could explain it to him in children's terms that he could give his hair to someone who got sick & lost all theirs. At that age children want to feel important & special & I'm sure he got excited knowing he could help someone like that.
0 likes [|reply]
19 Dec 2009, 15:43
Makayla
When did it become okay for a school to tell us how our kids can wear their hair? I think it's really sad that the school put a 4 year old in ISS away from his friends because of his hairstyle. I bet you anything that kid is going to hate school now.
0 likes [|reply]
19 Dec 2009, 21:00
queenbutterfly
I disagree with you something amazing. Why should he have to pull his hair up because you find it annoying? That sounds to me like you need to stop letting small things bother you and get over it.

The problem with our society is that we let these school districts control our children and EVERY aspect of their lives. We have been dealing with religion and now how they style there hair? I'm all for good standards in clothing choices (God forbid girls walk around with there boobs actually out) but hair styles? That's a little ridicilous!

So I'm all for homeschooling!!!

0 likes [|reply]
21 Dec 2009, 18:14
Finally Mrs. Bailey
My understanding of pre-school is that it's pretty much like a daycare. I never went because my mom felt the same way, and I did just fine in school without it. It seems beyond the point, but at 4 years old and in pre school, he's not getting much of an education anyway. It's more of educational socializing. I used to babysit a girl in pre school, and I'd ask what she learned. Colors, numbers, abc. I too don't understand how it affects his education.

HOWEVER, though I think the rule is completely absurd, it is a school and a school is a professional place. We were not allowed to wear pajama pants to school because they felt we had to keep a somewhat professional appearance. But they didn't care what hairstyle we had, what color it was, how many piercings we had. Our problem was mainly with clothing. Pants sagging, tank tops, short shorts, etc.

Then again, it is Texas. And I agree it is probably hurting the boy more to be in ISS. If I were the parents, I would just change schools. It's their rule, so you either follow it or get out. *shrugs* That's how I feel.
This thread is locked, unable to reply
Online Friends
Offline Friends