Your Password:

[ sign up | recover ]

Discussion Forums » Techie Talk
Page:  1  2 
Windows 7
0 likes [|reply]
9 Jan 2009, 13:47
Doc
For people that like to beta test new software. you will be able to download the public version of Windows 7 Beta 1 on Microsoft's website this afternoon.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/
0 likes [|reply]
10 Jan 2009, 02:00
Doc
Please note that if you DO download and try thing, make sure to back up any files you do not want to lose. In you cannot install it on a virtual drive, use a second drive or a spare drive rather than your main drive. This is because it will replace your current operating system if you install it on your main one. You will then have to reinstall your old one if you want to go back to XP or Vista.. which can be a pain in the ass if you don't have a restore disc. It is fun to play with, but it is only for testing purposes and not meant to be used as a main operating system. It has bugs... and not all software or devices like printers will work on it. But if you know the risks and want to experiment with it, have fun. It is pretty cool. Just make sure you know what you are doing before installing it, else you could lose all your files and stuff... which would be bad.
0 likes [|reply]
9 Jan 2009, 13:51
& skull.
ooo, tempting!
0 likes [|reply]
9 Jan 2009, 14:30
Doc
Some screenshots of mine... (got mine a little early, heh)

0 likes [|reply]
9 Jan 2009, 23:51
omg it's jessica!
so...i don't see a ton of difference. :/ i'm okay with vista, the only thing that bugs me is how much RAM it needs to run smoothly. is this going to be something they're going to force people to buy with newer computers (like vista, when they began to fade out XP)? or are they going to suggest vista users upgrade? all i can afford is what i already have, lol!
0 likes [|reply]
10 Jan 2009, 00:21
Doc
I haven't tested to see if it is as big of a memory hog as vista is, but I will pull a few sticks of ram later and see. I am running 6 gig... so yea. heh. I have the settings and looks tweaked, so it doesn't seem much different at first glance. But there are a few.

Here is a link to where you can see the new stuff, but all in all it is very similar to vista. I like it so far though. New eye-candy so to speak. Some new options on controlling the UAC and networking.

anyway, go here to see for yourself.

Far as MS forcing us to replace operating systems, who knows. They are money and power hungry. So in five years from now... probably.
0 likes [|reply]
10 Jan 2009, 00:24
Doc
LOL.....

Rush for Windows 7 downloads overwhelms Microsoft servers (AFP)
Posted on Fri Jan 9, 2009 5:19PM ESTLAS VEGAS (AFP) - Microsoft's mighty servers were overwhelmed on Friday as computer users worldwide rushed to download a free test version of a Windows 7 operating system being groomed to succeed Vista.

A virtual queue formed on the Internet in the hours before the planned release of Windows 7 "beta" software at noon local time in Microsoft's headquarters in Washington State.

"There was a line of people waiting online, so the noon release became an about-noon release," said a Microsoft spokesman showing off Microsoft's latest innovations at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas.

A flood of requests slowed Microsoft industrial-strength computers, causing delays and disappointments.

The window for downloading the test-version of Windows 7 closes the last day of January, Microsoft said. Microsoft wants feedback from users to refine the new operating system, but doesn't plan to change or add features.

"We got ourselves in a little trouble with Windows Vista; it became a bag of mixed things and didn't really figure out what it was about," said Mike Ybarra, general manager of Windows products at Microsoft.

"There was a lot of feature creep. You had people saying 'Let's change this and that.' Windows 7 has been very disciplined."

Windows 7 will streamline everyday tasks, cut boot-up times, extend battery life and make it simple to weave "smart" devices into home networks, according to Microsoft chief executive Steve Ballmer.

Ballmer said that the Windows software at the heart of Microsoft's empire is being "transformed" into a program that connects networks of computers, mobile telephones and applications hosted as online services.
0 likes [|reply]
10 Jan 2009, 00:25
Stbluesboy
so lemme get this, im not that tech savy, is this a new os?
0 likes [|reply]
10 Jan 2009, 00:26
Doc
Yes Sir. It is... though it is still BETA, not finished yet. Will be out probably in 2010.
0 likes [|reply]
10 Jan 2009, 08:17
love♥nik
Oh thank god. I just got my computer last year; by then I'll probably be ready for another one but sheesh. It gets tiring w/ all the new crap they put out. @_@
0 likes [|reply]
10 Jan 2009, 00:26
Stbluesboy
you posted that just as i posted mine, now i look retarted for asking if its an os when your little statement states that it is indeed a new os. lame.
0 likes [|reply]
10 Jan 2009, 00:27
Doc
heh.. no biggie. :) good to see ya again bro
0 likes [|reply]
10 Jan 2009, 00:30
Stbluesboy
yo, do you still need me to make you a layout or are you all set, ive been a bit of a "queue" problem myself with requests and stuff, and just now getting around to doing yours and the other one.
0 likes [|reply]
10 Jan 2009, 00:31
Doc
I'm good for now actually. I dug out my old one and it seems to be working fine. Appreciate it though. :D
0 likes [|reply]
10 Jan 2009, 00:41
Acid Fairy
So how's it running? I have never downloaded a Beta version of an OS like this, so I'm tempted. Can you just remove it once you're bored? And have you run into any problems with certain applications not running correctly with it?
0 likes [|reply]
10 Jan 2009, 01:50
Doc
So far it is smooth as silk. Everything I tried to install so far has worked. Far as removing it, I wouldn't install it on your main drive where your current operating system is... as it will replace it. I installed it on a second harddrive because it is permanent unless you format your drive... or reinstall another operating system.
0 likes [|reply]
10 Jan 2009, 00:44
Estella
SO, LIKE, IT'S A FREE VERSION OF SOMETHING A BIT LIKE VISTA? DOES IT TAKE UP LOTS OF MEMORY TOO?
0 likes [|reply]
10 Jan 2009, 01:51
Doc
Dunno about the memory yet... haven't tested it on a low amount of RAM. It is a test version of a new version of windows that is due for sale in 2010... and is meant for testing purposes only.
0 likes [|reply]
10 Jan 2009, 01:56
Estella
BUT WHAT EXACTLY DOES THAT MEAN - THAT IT'S MEANT FOR TESTING PURPOSES ONLY? I PRESUME YOU CAN STILL USE IT FOR YOUR OWN PURPOSES. SURELY THAT IS JUST A DISCLAIMER WHICH MEANS THAT THEY WILL NOT TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY BUGS YOU ENCOUNTER.
0 likes [|reply]
10 Jan 2009, 02:02
Doc
Probably does have one. Just means don't use it as a main operating system. It will expire within a certain amount of time and will stop working.

Hell, use google... it is your friend. :P windows 7 + beta
0 likes [|reply]
10 Jan 2009, 02:14
Estella
HA - YOU POST ABOUT SOMETHING, YOU GET QUESTIONS, YO! ESPECIALLY FROM PUCK! ;D
0 likes [|reply]
10 Jan 2009, 02:42
Doc
Oh I know... :P Only suggested google 'cause I might not know everything asked. heh. Just wanted to share the fact it will be available for people that wanted to evaluate it. :) But I shall try to answer any question your may, mah lady. :cool:
0 likes [|reply]
10 Jan 2009, 01:43
omg it's jessica!
My new Dell Inspiron 1525 does the side-bar thing, where the gadgets can be moved to the desktop, I love that feature. But my sidebar is a Google sidebar, not a Windows. Much better. I'm running a 3-gig, and the only thing I can't do on this is play my Sims 2 because of the built-in graphics. Other than that, this computer is very smooth and hardly freezes any window up. Vista shows me the thumbnails of my icons if I scroll over the item on the taskbar...does the BETA show all thumbnails at once? And can it do the cool toggle window thingy? Love that. lol.

Dude 6GB? What on earth for? lol

I don't see myself upgrading unless this becomes unusable. I paid a good chunk for this computer and it runs perfectly, fuck Microsoft's money-hungry CEOs - I love my computer the way it is. I needed it for school and it's doing that plus so much more. Take that, Microshit!

;D
0 likes [|reply]
10 Jan 2009, 01:55
Doc
Heh.... I just happened to have gotten a good deal on some RAM a year ago. 3 sticks of 2gig DDR2 for a hundred bucks. :) Plus, I do a bit of gaming so it helps me not lag.

It does have a preview like vista when you mouseover it, but far as the swit5ch between windows thingy like vista... haven't found it yet if it has it.

Unlike vista, windows 7 got rid of the sidebar... and allows the gadgets to work only on the desktop.. wherever you want to put them. That is a nifty feature. :D Never tried the google sidebar... I may have to look for that later on and give it a shot.
0 likes [|reply]
10 Jan 2009, 02:00
omg it's jessica!
The little toggle screen is ALT + TAB, and the nifty toggle I prefer is the Windows key + TAB.

I like the Google sidebar - I've got a pretty little flower pot growing pretty red flowers on my desktop, haha!, and an ESPN.com ticker, a news ticker, a nifty retro-style clock, and my weather thingy is a snow globe. Hee! I love it. I had a snowman that I could change its' features (like hat, chest area, and arms), but it's not snowman weather anymore. lol

That is some insane RAM. Insane. haha
This thread is locked, unable to reply
Online Friends
Offline Friends