Your Password:

[ sign up | recover ]

Discussion Forums » In The News
Page:  1 
Two children believed to be missing around canal
0 likes [|reply]
29 Oct 2009, 14:41
♥bruisedroses
SINGAPORE: Two children are believed to be missing in the Bukit Panjang area. They were last heard in the vicinity of a canal.

Police said they received a call at about 4pm Thursday from a woman, informing them about shouts being heard from the canal located near Al-Iman mosque, along Bukit Panjang Ring Road.

Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) officers centred their search around a pond in Bukit Panjang Park, using boats to comb the waters.

Two women were led by police into the park, presumably to help in investigations. The search was called off at about 8.40pm.

Residents said it was raining quite heavily in the afternoon and that could have caused the water level in the canal to rise.

How deep the water level was then cannot be ascertained but it is believed the water had carried the children into the pond.

Separately, the PUB said there was no report of any flash floods in the area.

- CNA/ir

---

I was quite shocked to hear this news because the canal and the "pond" (it's a catchment area btw) was very near my house. I have no idea how the children fell into the canal when there were railings surrounding it.

Source: http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1014580/1/.html
0 likes [|reply]
30 Oct 2009, 12:34
KerriBlue
Wow that's awful. It's terribly sad if anything has happened to those kids!

Unfortunately, these are two very bad combinations. Children can be quite surprising, the things that they can get in/around/over/through/underneath...it's hard to believe. You see them quietly observing monkeys at the zoo, you turn your head, and the next minute they are inside the cage. The other problem is water. It can be so unpredictable and anything can happen in the blink of an eye. Water can rise rapidly, it can also sink back down quite suddenly.

Regardless...thats such a terrible story.
0 likes [|reply]
31 Oct 2009, 07:15
Jessica [Private]
Those poor kids :(

My aunt died a similar way. When she was 13, she fell into a river. No one really knows how she did it but the current swept her away into a lake. Nobody ever found her :(
This thread is locked, unable to reply
Online Friends
Offline Friends