[ sign up | recover ]

Discussion Forums » In The News
Page:  1  2 
LA. judge denied marriage license for interracia
0 likes [|reply]
16 Oct 2009, 00:25
Chris
DEAR. FUCKING. GOD.

NEW ORLEANS – A Louisiana justice of the peace said he refused to issue a marriage license to an interracial couple out of concern for any children the couple might have. Keith Bardwell, justice of the peace in Tangipahoa Parish, says it is his experience that most interracial marriages do not last long.

"I'm not a racist. I just don't believe in mixing the races that way," Bardwell told the Associated Press on Thursday. "I have piles and piles of black friends. They come to my home, I marry them, they use my bathroom. I treat them just like everyone else."

Bardwell said he asks everyone who calls about marriage if they are a mixed race couple. If they are, he does not marry them, he said.

Bardwell said he has discussed the topic with blacks and whites, along with witnessing some interracial marriages. He came to the conclusion that most of black society does not readily accept offspring of such relationships, and neither does white society, he said.

"There is a problem with both groups accepting a child from such a marriage," Bardwell said. "I think those children suffer and I won't help put them through it."
0 likes [|reply]
16 Oct 2009, 00:27
Chris
Pardon me: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091015/ap_on_re_us/us_interracial_rebuff
0 likes [|reply]
16 Oct 2009, 17:14
Acid Fairy
This amused me as he claims he isn't racist ;D
0 likes [|reply]
18 Oct 2009, 18:03
Miss
it shouldn't matter if other people accept the child they may or may not have, just as long as the child is loved and accepted by its parents. and why does this judge think that keeping them from getting married will prevent them from having children?
0 likes [|reply]
16 Oct 2009, 01:56
Mary Magdelene
I've heard that exact same argument before in opposition of interracial marriages. Funny thing is, of all the times I hear it, I have never actually SEEN it happen (the shunning of an interracial child from both races) except for from those who use it as an argument against interracial marriage.
0 likes [|reply]
16 Oct 2009, 14:00
Makayla
Totally agree with you there. My best friend through high school was a black & white girl & she was accepted by everyone. Actually she was quite popular. And there is a gorgeous little girl that goes to my old high school now that is black & white & she is on the cheerleading team & was on the homecoming court this year. Plus, might I add that my school was a very small rural school in Mississippi.
0 likes [|reply]
16 Oct 2009, 17:15
Acid Fairy
Lol I presume a 'black and white girl' means she's mixed race? I have visions of one half of this girl being black and the other half white ;D
0 likes [|reply]
16 Oct 2009, 17:16
Makayla
rofl* Yea that's what I meant. I wanted to distinguish what races she was that's why I didn't say just "mixed".
0 likes [|reply]
16 Oct 2009, 17:19
Acid Fairy
Lol fair enough!
0 likes [|reply]
17 Oct 2009, 09:12
Jessica [Private]
That actually happened in my school a lot. There were a few mixed girls (never the guys though, which was odd) that the black girls would have nothing to do with. It was really sad :(

Although I never really knew the whole story. They both could've been real bitches or something hahaha.
Come to think of it, the black girls didn't really like anyone ;D
0 likes [|reply]
16 Oct 2009, 02:10
& skull.
funny, i thought it was 2009. apparently it's the 50s.
0 likes [|reply]
18 Oct 2009, 16:50
Azkabound
...Exactly my thought. I was about to scroll down and reply 'Some people should get their heads out of the 1950s'. You have surely beat me though. ;D
0 likes [|reply]
16 Oct 2009, 13:45
oh!Boys
Coming from a small town-I have seen the bad side of interracial relationships. People are (usually) never rude to the child, but are terrible towards the mother. Especially if its a white mother with a black child. Its just the way things are down here. It may very well be 2009, but that doesn't mean that everyone in the world is that forward thinking.
0 likes [|reply]
16 Oct 2009, 14:02
Makayla
I'm from a small town too. The only racism I have witnessed is most people seem to sterotype the mother for being "skanky" for being with a black man or say that she is with a black man because she can't get a white man or something. I've never noticed anyone just be flat out rude to anyone for that though, mostly it's just talking bad about them behind their backs.
0 likes [|reply]
16 Oct 2009, 13:54
Let It Be
That's his choice, but it's a pathetic one. I know tons of children who are products of interracial couples, and they are certainly not all 'suffering'. Not to mention these couples are just going to find someone else to marry them, and either way he's not saving from them producing children just because he won't do it. I love it when people yell that they aren't racist and that they treat everyone the same...except he's drawing a clear dividing line by saying interracial couples shouldn't get married. I wonder how far he goes with this, like if he'll marry two dark skinned people or two white people of different nationalities? Stupid stupid stupid.
0 likes [|reply]
16 Oct 2009, 15:37
brooke !
wow, this is sad. if my children grow up and love a black man or a black woman, i'd be all for it. they are free to love whomever they wish.
0 likes [|reply]
16 Oct 2009, 16:09
Mama2One
I was just going to post this....

this is just sad. pathetic. the reason these kids will have trouble are because of people LIKE him, not their parents.
0 likes [|reply]
16 Oct 2009, 17:19
Acid Fairy
I have found that white girls here who are with a black man are often seen as slags. When I was seeing this South African (which was a biiiiiig mistake but that's another story!) my parents were OUTRAGED! And this is coming from two adults who lived in South Africa in the 80s - the height of the apartheid. They worked with black people on a daily basis and had no qualms about it. So I find it odd that they still hold such beliefs. Alas, such is life in a sleepy Warwickshire village!
0 likes [|reply]
18 Oct 2009, 10:34
~RedFraggle~
Am I right in thinking though that you live in a rather conservative part of the country?

I've never witnessed any sort of racism towards interacial couples in Scotland (which on the whole is more liberal than southern England).
0 likes [|reply]
18 Oct 2009, 14:14
Acid Fairy
Unfortunately yes!
0 likes [|reply]
17 Oct 2009, 01:20
Man without fear
for the record, I'm a white man married to a black woman, we've been married 7 years, and together for 11. We have one wonderful little boy who is loved an accepted by all. This 'person' is a mother-fucking moron.
0 likes [|reply]
17 Oct 2009, 10:09
Transit
As someone who had quite a lot of mixed raced friends at college and who has mixed race cousins, they have never experienced problems for being mixed race, but they still did get the occasional knob heat person being racist in general about them being black.
0 likes [|reply]
17 Oct 2009, 19:10
Estella
Gosh, how crazy, yo. Like, the fact that the children may get ostracised is not a reason not to get married. Like, you could say the same for all kinds of things - people with overly fat parents might get teased, or with eccentric parents, or parents who wear frumpy clothes. Like, to follow this logic, this guy would have to refuse to marry people who wear frumpy clothes. Oh - and couples with big noses - because the kid might inherit the big nose and get teased for it.

Besides, his refusal to marry the couple isn't going to stop them having kids. Like, there is no logic at all, yo!
0 likes [|reply]
17 Oct 2009, 20:41
Rhapsody
White kids get teased... black kids get teased... hispanic kids get teased... EVERY CHILD experiences some form of segragation. Especially in high school. What difference does it make if the child is mixed?
0 likes [|reply]
18 Oct 2009, 20:51
~*Jodi*~
Ah, Puck, took my whole point - stopping them from marrying is not going to stop them from reproducing. Lots of people who aren't married have kids. Just think of how many single parents there are or teen mothers in the world. Not being married does not stop people from having sex at all. I've never been married, but I'm no virgin.

And I do think the man is a racist. If he was not racist, then he wouldn't see either of the people as a color at all. I don't see people for their color - I see them as people and judge them as human beings for what they do, not for what color their skin is. Skin color is something that is not our choice - it's something we're born with and have no control over. On the other hand, being an asshole or a bitch or a jerk or something like that is a choice and something that we do have control over.
This thread is locked, unable to reply
Online Friends
Offline Friends