Your Password:

[ sign up | recover ]

Discussion Forums » In The News
Page:  1  2 
trapped girls raised alarm on facebook
0 likes [|reply]
7 Sep 2009, 13:59
& skull.
The South Australian Metropolitan Fire Service (MFS) says it is worrying that two girls lost last night in a stormwater drain raised the alert on a social networking site rather than ringing 000.

The 10 and 12-year-old girls updated a Facebook status to say they were lost in a drain on Honeypot Road at Hackham in Adelaide's south.

Glenn Benham from the MFS says it was fortunate a young male friend was online at the time and was able to call for help on their behalf.

"It is a worry for us because it causes a delay on us being able to rescue the girls," he said.

"If they were able to access Facebook from their mobile phones, they could have called 000, so the point being they could have called us directly and we could have got there quicker than relying on someone being online and replying to them and eventually having to call us via 000 anyway."

article here

this is what facebook does to children apparently. i weep for our future.
0 likes [|reply]
7 Sep 2009, 14:57
Aubrey;
Wow... that's sad.... "Oh, we're trapped, what do we do?"
"I KNOW! Let's update facebook!"
"Yeah, great idea!"

Common sense is truly dying.
0 likes [|reply]
7 Sep 2009, 15:27
ninga
Sounds like something my 15 year old would do.....im lost, need help...ill get on facebook :P (ok, she is sensible enough to call 911 first, THEN get on facebook and post about it while waiting for help)
though its not funny, really. but thats how teens think these days. then again, these girls werent even teens yet. 10 year old with a cell phone? ok, thats off the point.
im glad someone was online and able to get them help!
0 likes [|reply]
8 Sep 2009, 00:51
Lauren.
I don't know... sometimes I only have the "tower" instead of "bars" for my signal. With only the tower, I have enough service to text, not call.
0 likes [|reply]
8 Sep 2009, 02:40
Jessica [Private]
Likewise!

And wtf are 10 and 12 year olds doing on facebook?
Good god.
0 likes [|reply]
9 Sep 2009, 00:00
Lauren.
Eck :/. At first I didn't connect the dots, but what ARE 10 and 12 year olds doing on Facebook? What can you network then? Elementary Schools? Geeze.
0 likes [|reply]
8 Sep 2009, 16:18
DivaAshley
That's a PARENT problem... haven't their parents instilled COMMON SENSE in these children? Apparently not.
0 likes [|reply]
9 Sep 2009, 06:16
& skull.
i agree. why were they on their own in the first place?
0 likes [|reply]
7 Sep 2009, 15:14
.like.a.drug.
Yeah, I've gotta say, if I was lost and had enough bars on my cell to connect to the internet, no way in HELL would I be updating FB instead of calling for help.

My children will not even have cellphones at the age, nor will they have FB pages.
0 likes [|reply]
8 Sep 2009, 13:29
Lunar Sea
If they hadn't been carrying mobiles, I wonder how much longer they'd've been down there for? Hours? Days?

Admittedly they didn't use it in the more traditional way to call for help, but I see this as more of a reason why young people out and about *should* have phones.
0 likes [|reply]
8 Sep 2009, 14:14
.like.a.drug.
Yeah, I can see your point.

0 likes [|reply]
8 Sep 2009, 14:18
& skull.
why were kids that young out and about on their own in the first place? they shouldn't need mobiles because they shouldn't be out without an adult.
0 likes [|reply]
8 Sep 2009, 14:57
~RedFraggle~
I don't know. When i was 10 me and my friends would get on our bikes and cycle up to the big field behind our house to play games. Our parents knew where we were, we always stuck together, and we knew we weren't to go any further. I don't think that was irresponsible of my parents, but accidents do happen, and it's not impossible something could have happened to us. That was the days before mobile phones though, so we'd have been stuck until our parents came looking for us!
0 likes [|reply]
8 Sep 2009, 15:34
& skull.
well i'd probably give my kids a mobile for emergencies only, but when i was young i wasn't allowed out with my mates in groups till i was 14. before then i could only go round someone's house if a parent was home and only out and about if a parent was with us.
0 likes [|reply]
9 Sep 2009, 09:03
~RedFraggle~
I guess it's a cultural thing. When I was 12 I was allowed to walk to the train station with my friends, get on a train, go to a shopping centre and come home again, by myself. But I think that kids should really have some common sense and sense of responsibility by age 12.

And I used to walk to school by myself from the age of 6! Although I have to admit that these days I'd be unlikely to allow a 6 year old to do that. I'd definitely allow a 10 year old though. They need to get some independence eventually... and even teenagers do stupid things like get stuck down drains.
0 likes [|reply]
9 Sep 2009, 09:47
& skull.
at about 10 i was allowed to walk my brothers to school, but we lived about three blocks from it lol. at 12 i could go by myself as i would leave later than they did. i was given a few responsibilities at 12, but my parents didn't really like us being by ourselves anywhere. i don't know if it's culture, so much as one parents level of worry over anothers, that combined with the area you live in.
0 likes [|reply]
9 Sep 2009, 11:03
~RedFraggle~
True. We lived in a very safe area. I think my parents worried more about road safety and us getting hit by cars than anything else.
0 likes [|reply]
9 Sep 2009, 12:57
& skull.
i think if i'd grown up in the neighbourhood i'm currently in, then my parents would've kept us attached via leashes haha.
0 likes [|reply]
8 Sep 2009, 14:55
~RedFraggle~
I agree. If kids are old enough to go out and play unsupervised, I think it's sensible to give them mobile phones. but for emergencies only, not for using facebook! And even at age 10, you'd think they'd have enough sense to at least call home for help, rather than updating on Facebook!
0 likes [|reply]
13 Sep 2009, 02:52
Lunar Sea
You'd hope, wouldn't you! Still, I suppose it was better than panicking altogether and not telling anyone.
0 likes [|reply]
7 Sep 2009, 15:16
Transit
Is 000 free where this happened? In the UK everyone tells you that 999 is free, yet when I called it from my mobile it cost me over £5, which was annoying, considering it was for my psycho path flat mate who repaid us by stealing all our stuff after literally covering me in piss.
0 likes [|reply]
9 Sep 2009, 03:26
Makayla
He pissed on you?? That's seriously messed up, I would have killed him.
0 likes [|reply]
9 Sep 2009, 14:09
Transit
she
0 likes [|reply]
7 Sep 2009, 16:13
Zombie Steve
Bloop Owner
Internet access and call access are actually exclusive I think. Two different signal streams. I wonder if they tried to dial 000 but were unable to get through?
0 likes [|reply]
7 Sep 2009, 20:48
trying4miracle#1
i was thinking the same thing cause where i live i miss a lot of calls cause they don't come through but have no problems getting a text to send. but a call won't always go through
This thread is locked, unable to reply
Online Friends
Offline Friends