Search
Not Logged In
Your Username:
Your Password:

[ sign up | recover ]

Discussion Forums » In The News
Page:  1 
fun police arrest man dressed as monkey.
0 likes [|reply]
25 Aug 2009, 10:51
& skull.
Humourless WA police have arrested a man in a monkey suit who said his only motive was to bring some fun and happiness to Sunday city shoppers.

Brenton Green, a 21-year-old security guard and aspiring police officer, was arrested by police after he refused to give his name when asked at about 3pm on Sunday.

Mr Green told thewest.com.au the last thing he wanted to do was cause any trouble.

He said he bought the suit from the internet about six months ago for $80.

"Basically me and my friends decided we would go into the city dressed in the monkey suit to bring a bit of fun and happiness to the place.

"As soon as we got off the train we could see people smiling and heaps of people started following us down the street," he said.

"Girls were coming up for hugs, guys were coming up for photos, some guys were coming up for hugs, everyone loved it."

Everyone except bike police officer Sgt Paul Coveney, who arrested Mr Green.

Police Media spokesman Sgt Graham Clifford said Sgt Coveney believed Mr Green "bumped into two people and knocked food from the hand of another person. Another member of the public said the accused had also knocked food from his hands a few minutes earlier."

"Police spoke to the man, requested his details, he refused, making squeaking noises," Sgt Clifford said.

"He was told on a number of occasions that he needed to provide his details, he didn't, so he was (arrested)."

Mr Green admitted knocking a burger out of the hands of one man, but said it was accidental.

"The vision from inside the suit is pretty limited, so I did knock into someone and knocked a burger out of his hands. The guy said: 'Hey, I was eating that!'

"Because I was in character, I made sorry motions with my hands and my body language, and he came back and said, 'It's OK man' and then he gave me a hug.

"For the police to use that as the reason for my arrest I thought was pretty wrong - he even went up to the cops when they were arresting me saying, 'No, no it's OK" and you can see him crossing his hands as if to say, 'no' on the video footage I have."

After he was arrested, Mr Green was taken to East Perth police station, charged, fingerprinted and bailed. After being bailed, he returned to Perth train station to go home, where he was spotted by Sgt Coveney again, arrested again and taken back to East Perth, this time for breaching his bail conditions which specifically banned him from the city centre.

Sgt Clifford said Mr Green was told "not to go back (into the city) and he did, so he came to the lock-up a second time."

But Mr Green's recollection is different, saying no police officer ever told him not to go back into the city. He did admit that the ban was spelled out in his charge sheet, which he signed without reading.

"The police basically said, sign this sunshine and you'll be out of here, so I did," Mr Green said. "I didn't read it, and that was probably my big mistake."

Mr Green said he only returned to the city to go home on the train.

"If anyone had told me not to go back there, I wouldn't have gone back there. I'm not stupid."

After his second arrest, Mr Green was thrown into a cell at the East Perth watchhouse, where he was held overnight. The original charge, of refusing to provide information to a police officer when asked, was eventually heard by a magistrate on Monday afternoon.

"The police prosecutor . . . was basically laughing," he said.

He was fined $60 and given a three month good behaviour bond.

Video footage of the absurd arrest was captured by Mr Green's friend, Brad Desmond, who posted it on his YouTube channel "The Desmond Delivery".

well if the idiot had just given his bloody details he wouldn't have been arrested. i'm all for fun, but if you're going to be a moron, then the police will arrest you. they probably would've let him off if he'd just told them who he was. then to not read something the police ask you to sign? he claims not to be stupid when he quite obviously is. be fun yeah, but use some common sense too.
0 likes [|reply]
25 Aug 2009, 12:56
RealLifeComics
Thats what he gets for... Monkeying around.. OH!!! COMMON!!! YOU SEE THAT!!! YOU SAW THAT RIGHT THERE!!! *crowd "Oh no he didn't"*
0 likes [|reply]
25 Aug 2009, 13:10
Doc
lolz
This thread is locked, unable to reply
Online Friends
Offline Friends