Your Password:

[ sign up | recover ]

Discussion Forums » In The News
Page:  1 
twilight author sued for plagiarism.
0 likes [|reply]
21 Aug 2009, 11:34
& skull.
A woman who wrote an obscure vampire book as a teenager is suing Twilight author Stephenie Meyer, accusing her of stealing ideas from the work for the fourth book in her vampire series, Breaking Dawn.

Meyer's publisher says that the lawsuit, filed on Wednesday (local time) in Federal Court in California, is a meritless claim meant to further the career of the aspiring screenwriter making the complaint.

Jordan Scott's lawsuit accuses Meyer of copyright infringement.

It argues that as Scott wrote The Nocturne, she posted passages online; Meyer then stole ideas from Scott's work for her own book.

The Nocturne and Breaking Dawn, which was published in 2008, show similarities in language, plot lines, characters and other points, Scott's lawsuit says. For instance, both books contain a wedding passage and an after-wedding scene of sex on the beach.

Hachette Book Group, Meyer's publisher, says the "alleged similarities" are "wholly lacking in substance".

Meyer based Breaking Dawn on an earlier, unpublished sequel to Twilight that she wrote, the publisher added.

Hachette has labelled the suit a "publicity stunt to further Ms Scott's career" and expects a court will dismiss it.

Meyer's Breaking Dawn is the fourth book in her Twilight series, which has sold more than 70 million copies worldwide and become the basis of a Hollywood movie series.

The first film, Twilight, earned more than $US380 million ($457 million) at worldwide box offices and the second, New Moon, hits theatres in November.

The books and movies are about a girl named Bella Swan, who has a star-crossed love affair with dangerous but handsome vampire Edward Cullen.

Scott's book The Nocturne, which she started writing aged 15 in 2003, had an initial printing run of 5,000 and is about to go into a second printing, according to her lawsuit.

article here

oh i lol'd hard. though why someone else wants credit for that literary atrocity is beyond me.
0 likes [|reply]
22 Aug 2009, 05:06
personally i think the wrong person sued her.

anne rice should've done it. nothing compares to lestat and that's exactly where edwards character came from.
0 likes [|reply]
22 Aug 2009, 05:25
& skull.
well her books are nothing like anne's, so theirs no plagiarism claims to be made. they just both write about vampires. to be fair, bram stoker's dracula is where most vampires came from. so even le stat had someone people would've compared him too.
0 likes [|reply]
21 Aug 2009, 11:41
Let It Be
"both books contain a wedding passage and an after-wedding scene of sex on the beach" LOL well in that case, she MUST have stolen the idea from this Scott lady....I mean it's such an original scene for a book and all.
0 likes [|reply]
21 Aug 2009, 11:43
& skull.
yeah i couldn't decide which was funnier, someone wanting credit for a crappy book, or the fact that they use such crappy arguments to suggest plagiarism. i mean really meyer's idea isn't really that original. i'll give her sparkling vampires for originality i guess, but it's not exactly very bad ass.
0 likes [|reply]
21 Aug 2009, 11:47
Let It Be
hahaha. All I can picture is Edward Cullen dipped in glitter :-p.
0 likes [|reply]
21 Aug 2009, 11:49
& skull.

win.
0 likes [|reply]
21 Aug 2009, 11:52
Let It Be
HAHAHAHA! That is awesome.
0 likes [|reply]
21 Aug 2009, 11:54
Doc
lol... nice!!
0 likes [|reply]
21 Aug 2009, 13:10
~RedFraggle~
Brilliant!
0 likes [|reply]
21 Aug 2009, 15:33
RealLifeComics
Aaah Lestat... Actually I heard that the Anne Rice Vampire Chronicles might be remade. With Robert Downey Jr playing Lestat.
Hope they do the books justice this time around.
0 likes [|reply]
21 Aug 2009, 16:07
& skull.
hrmm robert eh? reckon it's a good casting choice?
0 likes [|reply]
22 Aug 2009, 01:00
RealLifeComics
I always thought Lestat was supposed to be "Teeny Bopper" good looking. I think the last Queen of the Damned was BAD but they casted Lestat really well.
Depends on how they make the movies I guess. Downey is a pretty good actor, I think he could pull it off. Also they skipped a book last time, They went from 'Interview' to 'Queen of the Damned', missed out 'The Vampire Lestats' book.
0 likes [|reply]
22 Aug 2009, 05:27
& skull.
yeah i never understood that either. i hope if they do re-do it they do it better than the last attempts.
0 likes [|reply]
21 Aug 2009, 13:11
~RedFraggle~
I wouldn't be surprised... Breaking Dawn was very different to the other books, so it would make sense if it wasn't all her own work. I guess it depends how many similarities there were really though.
0 likes [|reply]
21 Aug 2009, 14:43
& skull.
wasn't that the book all the fans ended up hating? if she did steal it it didn't work to her advantage!
0 likes [|reply]
21 Aug 2009, 15:36
.Amber.
i loved them all the same.
I highly doubt it was plagiarized. I mean, c'mon ... how many people have sex on the beach on their honeymoon? LOTS! It's not hard to imagine these two characters did, too
0 likes [|reply]
21 Aug 2009, 16:07
& skull.
i know! it's not like that or vampires are original either.
0 likes [|reply]
21 Aug 2009, 18:58
valerieeeee
i saw this a few days ago online and it made me laugh a lot. i actually posted the story on my wall, with the same question: why would anyone want credit for that garbage?

looking at them side by side, they ARE similar. i don't know if it's similar enough to be plagiarism though. *shrug*

one of the arguments was how they used the pet name "love." I think that's reaching a little. (Don't worry about it, love) etc etc.
0 likes [|reply]
21 Aug 2009, 19:35
Mary Magdelene
I call people "love" all the time. I have for MANY years.

OMG!!! I'm plagiarising!!!!!
0 likes [|reply]
22 Aug 2009, 02:59
Meghans Follie
I knew you were all along. Admit it. Even none of our famous fights were your own words!
0 likes [|reply]
22 Aug 2009, 03:49
Mary Magdelene
Damn, you caught me! Because I have not an original thought in my head. ;-)
0 likes [|reply]
22 Aug 2009, 05:25
& skull.
oh wow you'd have to sue so many people. that's mental haha.
This thread is locked, unable to reply
Online Friends
Offline Friends