Your Password:

[ sign up | recover ]

Discussion Forums » In The News
Page:  1 
Serial Killer In Australia!
0 likes [|reply]
5 Aug 2009, 21:33
KerriBlue
Source: http://business.theage.com.au/business/us-anchor-labels-rudd-serial-killer-over-camels-20090805-e9iy.html

Australian Prime Minister Kevin Rudd has been labelled a serial killer on US TV.

Erin Burnett, an anchor on American financial news channel CNBC, launched a verbal attack targeting Mr Rudd after his Government's decision to spend $19 million to cull feral camels in the outback.

"There is a serial killer in Australia and we are going to put a picture up so we can see who it is," a stern-faced Burnett said during a segment on CNBC today.

A large photo of Mr Rudd was then shown.

"That would be the Prime Minister of Australia, Kevin Rudd," Burnett said.

"OK, well, do you know what he is doing?

"He has launched air strikes - air strikes - against camels in the outback."

Burnett, with a stuffed toy camel in front of her, broke away from her usual analysis of stock movements on Wall St to vent about the camel cull.

She raised the issue during a segment with CNBC's colourful financial guru Jim Cramer.

Burnett said there were a million camels living wild in Australia and the animals would be shot.

"They are slaughtering them?" Cramer, looking shocked, asked Burnett.

"They are slaughtering them," Burnett replied.

She also complained the meat and milk from the camels would be wasted.

"Apparently there is a billion dollars of meat out there," Burnett said.

"Are they going to do anything with it?" Cramer asked.

"No. They're just slaughtering them," she said.

"That's genocide. Camelcide," Cramer commented.

Burnett then told Cramer she hoped Australians would see her segment.

"I hope they have this on in the morning in Australia," she said.

As the discussion came to a close the photo of Rudd re-appeared on the screen.

"There he is," Burnett said.

"That is the man who approved it."

Burnett is a former anchor with Bloomberg TV and a vice-president at financial company Citigroup. She has a loyal male following in the US and is a favourite of US men's magazine Maxim.

In 2007 she posed for a risque photo shoot for Maxim that included a topless cover. She also made Maxim's top 10 "hottest news anchor" list.

So, anyone who knows me, knows that I don't believe in cruelty to animals. I even went vegetarian for a very long time just because I couldn't handle knowing what alot of companies do in order to get the meat and make a nice little profit along the way. To this day - I try and stick to mostly free range and also RSPCA standard met meat products. However, when it comes to people questioning Australia's policy on feral animals, it sort of becomes a grey area for me. While I think there might be better ways of - removing the problem - I do agree feral animals are a problem and need to be removed some way or another. The thing is, Rabbits, Cane Toads and Camels (as well as foxes and several other animals) are not native to Australia. The only reason they are here is because some idiot decided to bring them over for one reason or another. (Haha and if my high school education taught me anything - it's that cane toads were brought in to take care of another problem - then became the problem themselves!)

See, our government isn't going around killing these animals for sport, they're not doing it for the glory or because they get a kick out of killing an animal. They are doing it because - when you look at the bigger picture - it needs to be done. These feral animals are eating native plants and native animals. Which in turn is killing off the native flora and fauna. The animals and plants that have been around since before the ferals came along and SHOULD be here long after the ferals die out.

All I'm saying is - perhaps there is a more...kind...way of disposing of the ferals, but if someone can come up with a better way - by all means - write a letter to our goverment and make a suggestion. But if you think the government is doing it for kicks, then get the facts straight. I'd rather live in a country where our natives are flourishing - then live in a country which is destoryed by ferals.

Seriously, who is this doughy b**** and her sidekick? I've seen the news report and they look thick as bricks. If someone disagree's with my view - by all means, go ahead - but if you sound like her...then don't bother.

P.s. To any Australians...I think it was an Australian show...does anyone remember "The Ferals"? The original, when they were living in a bus or something...Not Feral Tv - I hated that LOL. I loved Modigliana. And Mixy...I thought it was funny she was named after Myxomatosis (the disease introduced to cull of the rabbit population)
0 likes [|reply]
6 Aug 2009, 04:44
RealLifeComics
I agree, I couldn't believe what I was hearing on the news last night. Those two "reporters" obviously had no idea what they we're talking about... well yeah youre right, that silly cow didn't know what she was on about. It was plain rude and ignorant.

Well written, two thumbs up.
0 likes [|reply]
6 Aug 2009, 10:16
lithium layouts.
lol. That is all I have to say. xD
0 likes [|reply]
6 Aug 2009, 10:17
lithium layouts.
And yes, I was an avid fan of 'The Ferals'. They kinda ruined it with 'Feral TV' though, because they were no longer poor and barely struggling to survive (which made the show funny)!
0 likes [|reply]
6 Aug 2009, 11:38
& skull.
it had it's moments i think. i thought the power whingers episode was ok ;D
0 likes [|reply]
7 Aug 2009, 13:27
~*Pagan*~
I called my cat Modigliana ;)

And seriously....should they harves the meat...I AINT eating Alice the camel!!!
0 likes [|reply]
6 Aug 2009, 05:48
& skull.
ugh, i hate idiots like that that don't understand the feral animals are ruining the habitat of other animals because they're not native and don't belong here. what would this stupid bitch say if you told her that camels, foxes, cane toads and rabbits are helping kill off our native life? would they still think culling them is wrong?

the ferals! holy crap that was awesome.
0 likes [|reply]
6 Aug 2009, 06:25
RealLifeComics
Was the Ferals the show with Rattus? there was a girl and a hippie dog? Classic.
0 likes [|reply]
6 Aug 2009, 06:44
& skull.
rattus, mixie, moddy and derryn. ferals! joy! feral tv was alright too.
0 likes [|reply]
7 Aug 2009, 10:23
ZGirl22
"There's a rat, called Rattus. He's the leader of the bunch.
A cat called Modigliana. She's fluffy but she's tough!
Derryn he's a doppy dog;
Mixy is a muddled up, mixed up bunny.
FEEEERAAAALLLLSS!"

Yeah anyway....

Totally agree that camels, foxes, rabbits and other feral invaders should be controlled - whether that's culling or relocation. I don't find culling cruel at all, UNLESS of course that its not done properly where they shoot the animal and wing them, which leaves them to keep suffering til they eventually die a painful death. That's cruel and probably does happen a lot of the time, but with mass culls it would be unavoidable as the people doing the shooting are generally in helicopters.

Erin Burnett probably finished up her day at work eating a $40 steak at some ritzy restaurant in Hollywood. Who the hell is she anyway, but a trumped up nude model?
0 likes [|reply]
7 Aug 2009, 22:47
seasongster
i... didn't know there were camels in australia. huh.
0 likes [|reply]
8 Aug 2009, 00:51
KerriBlue
They were brought over during the days Australia was just being discovered. They were used as working camels..and because they could travel long distances without water (which..when crossing certain states...can be days before you see water)
0 likes [|reply]
8 Aug 2009, 11:45
seasongster
good to know.

i'm still having trouble wrapping my head around this. ;D
0 likes [|reply]
8 Aug 2009, 00:58
~*Pagan*~
When they were no longer useful the camels were let loose in the top end and they are pretty much plague numbers now. Cause huge problems for grazing etc.
This thread is locked, unable to reply
Online Friends
Offline Friends