[ sign up | recover ]

Discussion Forums » In The News
Page:  1  2 
Hahaha, oh wow.
0 likes [|reply]
4 Aug 2009, 02:24
Chris
http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/08/03/new.york.jobless.graduate/index.html

NEW YORK (CNN) -- A recent college graduate is suing her alma mater for $72,000 -- the full cost of her tuition and then some -- because she cannot find a job.

Trina Thompson, 27, of the Bronx, graduated from New York's Monroe College in April with a bachelor of business administration degree in information technology.

On July 24, she filed suit against the college in Bronx Supreme Court, alleging that Monroe's "Office of Career Advancement did not help me with a full-time job placement. I am also suing them because of the stress I have been going through."

The college responded that it offers job-search support to all its students.

In her complaint, Thompson says she seeks $70,000 in reimbursement for her tuition and $2,000 to compensate for the stress of her three-month job search.

tl;dr: Some dumb bitch is suing her college for her full tuition because she can't find a job.
0 likes [|reply]
4 Aug 2009, 03:12
Music God CJ Plain
Oh man....Just SOOOOOOOOOO much I could say about this that would get me into trouble. I'm going to be nice and just walk away. LMAO

0 likes [|reply]
4 Aug 2009, 04:13
Jessica [Private]
She's only been searching for THREE months?!

What about the people who have been searching for the last year and are freaking out because their unemployment is going to run out?
If she wins, I hope she has to give back the fucking degree too.
0 likes [|reply]
4 Aug 2009, 13:32
foreverglow
3 months of job search? TRY 3 YEARS, honey! :-@
0 likes [|reply]
4 Aug 2009, 16:22
Newmommy09
Yeah Iv been searching for the past year almost..UGH!
0 likes [|reply]
4 Aug 2009, 02:41
kid at heart.
Wow, perhaps she should pick up a newspaper and research 'recession'...or she could always apply to McDonald's; they're always hiring!
0 likes [|reply]
4 Aug 2009, 02:44
Mary Magdelene
From article:
As Thompson sees it, any reasonable employer would pounce on an applicant with her academic credentials, which include a 2.7 grade-point average

LMAO! Any employer would jump at an average employee? There are average employees EVERYWHERE. Maybe if she was an EXEMPLARY student, but with a 2.7 GPA, barely above average? Not likely.

Just another example of the sense of entitlement people have these days.
0 likes [|reply]
4 Aug 2009, 02:55
Chris
I lol'd at that too.

HURR ANYONE WOULD HIRE A STUDENT WITH A PERFECTLY *AVERAGE* GPA.
0 likes [|reply]
4 Aug 2009, 02:55
Chris
P.S. That's like a high C average. Haha, that's not good.
0 likes [|reply]
4 Aug 2009, 03:12
Mary Magdelene
Well, there's nothing wrong with being average. It could have been worse. But for her to actually think that these people should be expected to drop everything to interview someone with just "average" grades, in THIS economy.....If I were an employer, in THIS economy, I'd be more interested in those who EXCELLED in their Major. Not those who appear to have done just enough to pass.
0 likes [|reply]
4 Aug 2009, 03:13
Chris
I don't think a high C is by any means "average." I mean, if I took a class, and got a C, I would retake it. I would not fly by with a C. Calculus or Trig are the only two classes I would even consider flying by with a C.
0 likes [|reply]
4 Aug 2009, 04:17
Jessica [Private]
Lulz, I'd be like 'ZOMG I GOT A C, YUS.'

Because we all know Jess is not the sharpest crayon in the box.

High school transcripts look like this:

Honors English: A
Honors History: A
Everything Else: D or C-

Srsly, I'd rejoice in a C or a C+.
0 likes [|reply]
5 Aug 2009, 18:46
kein mitleid
A "C" is no longer good enough, as seen by grade inflation which happens across all schools and universities. The B average (3.0) is pretty much a minimum for anyone that wants to be taken seriously and be considered for a job in their field (unless they have strong connections up the corporate ladder.)
0 likes [|reply]
4 Aug 2009, 06:23
~RedFraggle~
She'll never win that.
0 likes [|reply]
4 Aug 2009, 14:04
Madeline Rain
Actually, she might win in the Bronx. I've seen some pretty outrageous verdicts come out of there, which is why defense attorneys try to settle ASAP. Still, this is pretty fucking outrageous. I can't believe there's an attorney out there willing to take that case. Fucking ridiculous.
0 likes [|reply]
4 Aug 2009, 16:34
Mary Magdelene
It depends. If the school makes the guarantee of a job after graduation, she could very well win. I don't know if they DO make that guarantee, but I do know there are some that do so it is a possibility.
0 likes [|reply]
4 Aug 2009, 19:01
Chris
There's never a guarantee. She's suing because she decided they didn't put in enough effort.
0 likes [|reply]
4 Aug 2009, 19:57
panda bear.
Colleges in my hometown have employment guarantees. But I mean, if you go in to Science and come out of everything with a job at McDonalds, that counts towards employment guarantee.
0 likes [|reply]
4 Aug 2009, 19:22
Acid Fairy
But how could you guarantee a job? That's just stupidity on their part! Ahhh, America ;D
0 likes [|reply]
4 Aug 2009, 13:49
& skull.
fail.
0 likes [|reply]
4 Aug 2009, 14:53
Estella
HAHA - YES, YO, I READ THAT. WELL, NO ONE WILL WANT TO HIRE HER NOW, YO. LIKE EVEN LESS THAN BEFORE. THEY'D BE THINKING 'GOSH, SHE'LL SUE US IF WE DON'T GIVE HER A RAISE, AND SHE'LL SUE US IF WE FIRE HER, SHE'LL SUE US IF WE TELL HER TO GET HER LAZY ARSE INTO GEAR AND DO SOME WORK'.
0 likes [|reply]
4 Aug 2009, 15:39
Transit
Hmm, does this mean I can sue my lecturers if I fail my exams?
0 likes [|reply]
4 Aug 2009, 19:20
Acid Fairy
Gosh, I'm going to sue the OU if I don't become a barrister, those bastards ;D

Seriously though, this is so retarded.
0 likes [|reply]
5 Aug 2009, 00:18
.love.struck.
I think her claim is ridicious. Just because a person went to college doesn't garantee they will find a job right away. Those schools that have job placement help don't always mean it. I went to one of those school and I was lucky to find a job on my own. The school never once helped me. It could also be the factor of the ecomony and what the company was looking for. There could be numerous reasons for her not finding a job. One of the biggest things that people don't realize are their resumes. You have to put together a great resume to stand out!
0 likes [|reply]
5 Aug 2009, 02:10
RealLifeComics
Uterus punch coming her way...
This thread is locked, unable to reply
Online Friends
Offline Friends